User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    76 (100%)

i dont know if this will help or not but my mom needs glasses to read too. she asked if any of the reading glasses you can buy in store (so not prescription) would be good enough for her eyes. the optometrist told here which ones to get if she wanted to go that route. so she saves a lot of money on glasses that way. this works well for her because she can be a bit forgetful so it isnt a big deal if she loses a 5$ pair as opposed to a 500$ prescription pair.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
    Yeah, my eyes are also horrible. -5 and -5.75
    I use contacts and glasses about 50/50.

My suggestion would be to get the eye exam, and then try getting the glasses online, usually waaaay cheaper.
    Also, I'm in Ontario, but my last eye exam was only $60 (actually, free, because I also got glasses and contacts there). So maybe shop around and try and get a better deal on the exam, too.
    Yeah, in Ontario I haven't seen eye exams cost over $80. Try well known places like Hakim, Pearl Vision, Lenscrafters, Laurier optical etc. They also often have promos like buy 1 get 1 free, free frames with lens purchase, upgrade discounts and such. Once you get your prescription, you can buy your glasses wherever you please. So even after your exam you can still shop around and try on frames before making a decision.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    totally, i'm in the same boat. my eyes are BAD and it is expensive!
    It sucks! I wish they weren't so bad and then I could buy pretty frames and not have to worry about what my lenses will look like in frames.

Yeah, my eyes are also horrible. -5 and -5.75
    I use contacts and glasses about 50/50.

My suggestion would be to get the eye exam, and then try getting the glasses online, usually waaaay cheaper.
    Also, I'm in Ontario, but my last eye exam was only $60 (actually, free, because I also got glasses and contacts there). So maybe shop around and try and get a better deal on the exam, too.
    My eyes are -6.00 and -6.25 so yeah glasses suck! I wear contacts when I go out and only wear glasses at home pretty much.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Whoa, rose, you`re legally blind!!
    I`m heading that way. Every year, for some reason, one eye goes up by .25 or stays the same and the other always gets worse by -.25. So this year my guess is -5 or 5.25 and -6.00.
    Since that eye got better last year, I`m betting on -5.25..
    At least coke-bottle lenses aren`t the only options now! lol

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    It sucks! I wish they weren't so bad and then I could buy pretty frames and not have to worry about what my lenses will look like in frames.

My eyes are -6.00 and -6.25 so yeah glasses suck! I wear contacts when I go out and only wear glasses at home pretty much.
    oh i beat you! try -7.50! i can see as far as 5 inches away. the worst thing is i think i am going to need bifocals soon, because i find myself taking my glasses off to see up close. it never ends!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Whoa, rose, you`re legally blind!!
    I`m heading that way. Every year, for some reason, one eye goes up by .25 or stays the same and the other always gets worse by -.25. So this year my guess is -5 or 5.25 and -6.00.
    Since that eye got better last year, I`m betting on -5.25..
    At least coke-bottle lenses aren`t the only options now! lol
    so true at least we can get the super thin lenses now!! Mine haven't changed since I was about 17 or 18 so hopefully they don't change much anymore because I HATE it! My contact prescription is -5.50 and -5.75 which I like better LOL! Makes them seem less bad somehow.

oh i beat you! try -7.50! i can see as far as 5 inches away. the worst thing is i think i am going to need bifocals soon, because i find myself taking my glasses off to see up close. it never ends!
    I never thought I would find someone with worse eyes!! I have been thinking about getting the laser surgery because I am afraid of getting old and getting worse vision. I mean me now without glasses or contacts is really bad and I'm terrified of having them get worse with age!! I'm also terrified of having them shoot lasers in my eyes so lose lose situation LOL
    Last edited by roseofblack25; Mon, Aug 1st, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

yeah lasers in eyes = scary

my problem is that i'm nearing 40 (yikes) and if my eyes change laser would be useless at this time anyhow.

just think tho, hundreds of yrs ago if we had developed bad eyesight, we probably would have been left behind cause no one was gonna keep some useless nearsighted liabilities hanging around!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

yeah lasers in eyes = scary

my problem is that i'm nearing 40 (yikes) and if my eyes change laser would be useless at this time anyhow.

just think tho, hundreds of yrs ago if we had developed bad eyesight, we probably would have been left behind cause no one was gonna keep some useless nearsighted liabilities hanging around!

I know soooo many people that have had it done though and are fine which makes me really want to do it. Then I go and research how it's done and freak myself out and go no way are they clamping my eyes open cutting them with me awake and shooting lasers in my eye balls!!! I think I could do it if it wasn't for them having to cut that flap open first before the laser. That's the part that makes me want to vomit!
    I'm very glad I live in the now! I love my contacts and would hate having to either go blind or wear ridiculous huge thick heavy glasses everywhere or be seen as a liability to everyone.

If I ever do have the laser surgery I already have a place picked out though. It's the place in Toronto that they feature on TV with the extreme makeover shows that they used to do. It's more expensive because they were featured on TV and all that junk but I think it would pay for itself over time since I wouldn't have to spend $500+ each time I get glasses or $120 a year on contacts!

Banned
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I've worn glasses most of my life, and I agree they can be pricey (no coverage at all for me). I have problems with distance, though.

My mom, however, has problems with reading and she pays for the $0.99 reading glasses sold at Foodland and LOVES them.

If you need two separate strengths for your eyes, then buy two pairs that are the exact same style but the strengths you need. Pop the lenses out and put the appropriate strength into the appropriate side. Bingo! $2 for a nice pair of glasses!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
    Ok, I am conceding to the fact that I _might_ need glasses. I have an appointment next week to have my eyes tested as the daily migraines are wearing thin at this point.

What I could really use is some helpful advice regarding costs. First of all, I would assume that prices/deals will vary depending on location, so I guess that ideas for the Ottawa/Kanata area would be most beneficial.

My vision coverage from work is terrible - only $200 per year; since the cost of the eye exam is quoted at $112, that doesn't leave any room for the cost of a pair of glasses if required.

I have a couple options:

1. Swallow the cost of the eye exam & keep the $200 coverage to get lenses/glasses that do not exceed that amount
    2. Put both the cost of the exam & lenses & glasses through to the max & pay the rest out of pocket (but likely will find the cheapest low-end glasses

Which leads me to my next question - suggestions for places to shop around for the best price/deal.

I am not interested in any 2+ pairs of glasses options - if I need them, the issue will be in regards to seeing things quite close - reading a label for example is fine up to the 14cm distance from my eyes, as I move it in closer it starts to become blurry & unreadable. This would mean I would need them for...reading. So while _actually_ reading, or working at the computer. Otherwise things are fine (for now!).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    I saw SEARS has a promotion for 2 pairs of glasses ( lens + frame ) for $ 199 ..so about 100 bucks each ..not bad ..single vision , progressive lenses etc are all included .

http://www.canadianoptical.ca/wps/wc...rs_Page_2.html

The only thing extra is if you go for additional coatings like UV protection etc , which are optional .

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I've been wearing glasses since i was about 10, and my eyes are really bad. Walmart usually has a "cheap" section (that's where i get mine) and the lenses are different prices depends on if you need bi focal's the strength of lense you need, and if you want anything special (glass, plastic, tinted etc) I was go shop around and get quotes, besides if you like a frame you can just ask for the sales person to write down the frame # and the price, then keep looking, then you can go home and figure out which place was the cheapest.
    Hope this helped and good luck

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i got my glasses through the clearly contacts free giveaway promo.

i LOVE my glasses. they are based out of Vancouver and you order online, and their customer service is great. they are very inexpensive to buy from.

when you order from them, you need your prescription and a couple of measurements of frames. you also need a particular measurement that is the distance between your pupils, center to center. you can ask your Dr. to give you that measurement for ordering glasses.

i would go into a major store and try on a bunch of frames and get a feel for what shapes of frames look good on you first, if you decide to order online.

http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/?ilid=tnav
    Since I need progressive lenses (regular and bifocal in one pair) mine cost a fortune. I paid $500.00 at Costco + $55.00 for the eye exam so $555.00 for one pair. At Clearly contacts, I bought a second pair and the lenses were $149.00 instead of $399.00 and the frame was $100.00 which is approximately the same as I paid at Costco. I would definitely reccomend Clearly Contacts as their service is fantastic.

I made an error on the prescription and they changed my glasses without question. I paid for the new pair and they refunded me the old one promptly. I took advantage of their promo for free glasses and got a pair of reading glasses for $67.00 including shipping. I got them the next day! I can't get glasses the next day without paying a fortune!

Depending on you prescription and what you want, you can get them from as cheap as $38.00 or they sometimes have a promo to get 3 for $99.00 so that would fit your budget for onepair and be slightly over for 3.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks you may be onto something I just checked clearly contacts and I can get Gucci frames with my prescription and the total would be $220!

I may just have to order some new glasses eek! I may go to some local stores though and see if they have the same frames so I can try them on for fit because I haven't got a clue what will fit me LOL

I also don't know my prescription off hand just the strength I need so I would have to go get that from the eye doc.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

The results are in..

Seems I've always been farsighted (!!) but have managed to compensate for it, which is why I'm seeing (HAHA) issues before 40. I don't think it's too bad though, not that I understand what the numbers mean.

I tried on a bunch of glasses there to see what I liked & what fit nice & felt good and got her to write down the numbers for me so I would be able to order my own glasses.

Right eye is +0.75 & Left is +1.00

Retail value of the ones I ordered are $250 each (the place I had the exam done would cost $350 base price for the ONE pair that I liked & fit well!)

And since I found some coupon codes I bought 2 pairs, one in a light purple, one in gold (they look IDENTICAL to the ones in the store)

So for 2 pairs, with cases, cleaning cloths & tightening tool, plus shipping & all that jazz, it's $73 for me AND they can be submitted to my insurance company

$112 for the exam
    $73 for 2 pairs of glasses
    $185 total - Vision coverage of $200 at 100% with no deductible = FREE
    Last edited by KrazE; Wed, Aug 3rd, 2011 at 04:34 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

nice!! I wish I had a job where I could get coverage of some kind. It gets ridiculously expensive. I tried to find my contacts on clearly contacts and they don't have anything close to my prescription on there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information