User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What items are a good deal at Costco?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My staples from Costco:

~French fries Cavendish or McCain.
    ~Harvest Hot Dogs 4 packs for $11.99 (usually works out to at least a pack free in comparison)
    ~Feta cheese - $11.99 I don't remember the brand, it's not as good as other brands but the price is decent and it is good for cooking and salads.
    ~Schnieders bacon 4 pack. It may be a little more expensive if bacon goes on sale at your local grocery store but it's a good brand and I usually pick up a pack every now and then to have on hand.
    ~The big container of spring mix salad. Very good price.
    ~Depending on the day, certain fruits and veggies are a good price.
    The main reason I even got a Costco card was to get my dog's meloxicam prescription. It's basically half price of the vet.

I haven't really checked out meat prices (we haven't needed any until now), although I am told they are fairly decent. My next trip there I will certainly be looking at the frozen chicken breasts.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can to. ~T.S. Eliot

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There Maple Syrup is priced better than anywher else.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Neaner View Post
    There Maple Syrup is priced better than anywher else.
    It is a good price, but it is the lighter stuff. Superstore has the same amount, similar price and is grade 2, which in this case is better because it has more flavor. I only bought it the once, when maple syrup spiked in price from around $10 to $18!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

i always get the maple syrup from costco grade 1 never tried grade 2 as everyone tell me it is only for baking but i will try to get one from RCSS and see how it differs in taste
    Last edited by kashkoush; Mon, Oct 10th, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

The pork chops, definetly. There are usually around 9 in a pack, and it comes to $18. Its pretty hard to cook it all the way through because they are so thick, so we cut them in half. So 18 pork chops (if you cut them in half) for $18, or $1 each!!! And the meat is much better quality then at the grocery store!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Here's a question, does Costco have decent prices on ground turkey or chicken? I'm doing weight watchers, that will work better for me, but it's a lot more expensive than hamburger in the grocery stores!

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Zonny, the last time I bought ground turkey at Costco (sometime last Spring), it was about 5.50$/lb. I found that I either had to cook it up or freeze it immediately or it would start to smell funky by the next day. My cousin gave me a hand grinder, the old fashion kind you attach to your table/counter. I now buy de-boned turkey at a poultry store and grind it up myself for half the cost. I've seen hand grinders at Sally Ann and Value Village for a few dollars. You can also find them at restaurant supply stores if you'd like a new one.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Here's a question, does Costco have decent prices on ground turkey or chicken? I'm doing weight watchers, that will work better for me, but it's a lot more expensive than hamburger in the grocery stores!
    I've only ever bought ground beef and pork there, but their poultry products are not cheap, and I don't see a huge difference in quality like with the beef products. I have better luck waiting on a sale at Coop or Sobeys. Wrap the pieces in waxed paper and put in ziploc freezer bags. I don't have a meat grinder, but in a pinch, a food processor should do the trick.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Last time I was there I bought chicken drumsticks and thighs, those seemed to be priced similar to a sale price at Sobeys. The boneless chicken breasts seem to cost a lot more, haven't bought those there.

I agree with you on the beef though, it's very good. The sirloin grilling steak is a bit more than what I'd pay in the grocery store, but completely worth it. I buy sirloin tip roasts there sometimes that are about $3 a pound; they're big, but I chop them into three big pieces and freeze them. I have one in my slow cooker right now in fact!

An old fashioned meat grinder might be the way, buy chicken breasts on sale and grind 'em myself. At least that way I mostly know what's in them! I have friends who have food sensitivities, they can't buy ground chicken or turkey in the stores because they have fillers of some sort.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I always buy the Movie passes. 9.99 for kids pass plus snack pack. Fabulous deal.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I have been shopping at Costco for many years. Often when I am going on a small trip - I will jot down the prices of some items I will be needing soon to compare to either Highland Farms, Walmart before I start my shopping list.

I have found that Costco often (just like Walmart) has their prices fluctuating up and down within a few months. For example - Sunmaid raisin bread was $5.49 about 2-3 months ago, then went up to $7.99 about 3-4 weeks ago, last week I saw it $6.99 or so. I found Walmart had it on special for $2 a pack a couple of weeks ago - so I stocked up from walmart.
    Costco's Milk 4L bags are now comparable to other stores prices $4.35, so doesn't matter where I buy it now.
    Becel 1.8kg tub at Costco is $10.99 (as of last week). Found it at Walmart for $9.99.
    Costco's cereal prices are not always better than any stores. I usually wait until I see some are on sale or clearance and then I stock up.
    Costco - Nothing beats the price of 3-pack whole chickens and it is even better when they offer the $5 off per pack. It is usually around $23-25 per pack of 3 whole chickens. Also their salmon fillets, ground lean beef, veal cutlets, ribs are excellent quality and is a good deal - compared to regular prices elsewhere.
    Costco - The cans of San Marzano 2.84L peeled whole tomatoes is $3.85 and are over $4 everywhere else.
    Costco- Saputa block mozzarella and shredded are $11.99 and $12.99 respectively and no better deal elsewhere. Also Grande's grated parmesan is a super deal - can't remember the price, but I saw the smaller packs sold in the grocery store and it was about the same price. Cheese can be frozen - so any extras stay in there!

When I go there next I will check on some other prices.
    Thanks!

Lounging in the veggie garden!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Does Costco ever put their Tuff Athletics yoga pants on sale?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We just noticed at the Ajax Costco, that there are other member benefits:
    *Car insurance
    *Discounts on Ford cars (expires Jan. 30, 2012)
    *Emergency road side assistance (included with Costco membership: like CAA)
    *Mortgage rates (broker)
    *Computer hard drive protection

Has anybody used these?
    Are they good, compared to others?
    We are curious about the mortgage rates offered.

Thx.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I stock up on the aged brick cheeses, my family in NS say it's the best price and it's all very good quality (at Christmas they had me pick up around $100 worth of 2 year and 5 year cheddar).
    I like the quality of the meat, and will happily pay whatever they are selling it for. The salmon fillets are great.
    Kitty litter
    It costs $18 for the toilet paper I like, but the 36 double roll pack lasts a few months
    Toys are often a great price. I bought the creepy crawly super pack (120 pieces) for around $30, but Toys r rus would have charged $60 forthe number of kits to get the same number of peices.
    Olay regenerist 2 pack is $50, but the singles at Shoppers are close to $30.
    Tylenol arthritis and clariton are also things I buy for my family in NS, as they say the price is so good.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    We just noticed at the Ajax Costco, that there are other member benefits:
    *Car insurance
    *Discounts on Ford cars (expires Jan. 30, 2012)
    *Emergency road side assistance (included with Costco membership: like CAA)
    *Mortgage rates (broker)
    *Computer hard drive protection

Has anybody used these?
    Are they good, compared to others?
    We are curious about the mortgage rates offered.

Thx.
    I don't know about the mortgage rates, but you can probably call their broker, ask about mortgages and ask how pricing and rates would be different if you were a Costco member.

We had a new furnace/air conditioner installed and we just happened to get a quote from the same company that gave us an independent quote earlier. I asked about any Costco advantage and she said the sale offered by their company would not apply, but we would end up getting a rebate back in the form of Costco gift cards. After it was all worked out, it was still cheaper to buy the same product from the outsourced company as a non-Costco member.

Sometimes there are other tradeoffs attached to your mortgage as well, like a slightly higher rate for a cashback option, etc.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information