User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by watergirl73 View Post
    What programs do you all use to file these? Do they cost alot? I was quoted 35.00 each to do our taxes.
    I did my second ever Canadian taxes with Turbo Tax last year for free. It is super easy - they tell you exactly where on the T4 to find the information for each box, then calculate everything. And Turbo Tac automatically prints out a list of documents you need to send in with the tax return.

This year I'm filing as a common-law partner for the first time - does anyone know if this is likely to affect my tax return?!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Once you file as a couple (married, common-law), your tax credit claims will have to be most likely claimed by the higher earner. So donations, medical expenses, HST quarterly credit, provincial property tax or rental tax credits usually are claimed by the higher income in your household.

If there are minor children from other relationships brought into the household, the number of adults who potentially could claim a portion of the annual amount for a dependent child goes up. For example, main custodial parent who has a child most of the year can apply for a major part of the annual dependant claim, but the other parent can claim part of the dependant amount based on number of days in year child was in his/her custody/home. Spouses of non-custodial parent or grandparents who care for child some days of the year could also make similar claims.

You and your common-law spouse would be eligible for deductions based on contributions to spousal RRSP plans in a tax year.

Link to topics that can apply to spouses/common-law partners:
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/l.../menu-eng.html

2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Just finished doing mine the old fashioned way...not sure if I did something wrong but if not I'm getting around 800 back! Which makes me think I did something wrong LOL! But I looked it over and I had my dad look it over and he couldn't find anything wrong with it so here is hoping I have some extra cash coming!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    Just finished doing mine the old fashioned way...not sure if I did something wrong but if not I'm getting around 800 back! Which makes me think I did something wrong LOL! But I looked it over and I had my dad look it over and he couldn't find anything wrong with it so here is hoping I have some extra cash coming!
    Awesome! I thought I would get back a couple hundred this year... but I was wrong. I'm hoping I did my taxes wrong or something and I end up getting more money back, but I netfiled so I doubt it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Are you entering all the possible deductions you are entitled for........ most of tax filers miss on the various deductions. All this results in lesser refund.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Just a quick question, does anyone here know if the fees for Scouts Canada (for children) are covered under the Children's Activity tax credit (or whatever it's called??)?? My daughter is in Beavers for the first time, so I'm not sure if I can claim the yearly fee.

Thanks in advance!!
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lovelikewinter3 View Post
    Just a quick question, does anyone here know if the fees for Scouts Canada (for children) are covered under the Children's Activity tax credit (or whatever it's called??)?? My daughter is in Beavers for the first time, so I'm not sure if I can claim the yearly fee.

Thanks in advance!!
    Yes!! you should deduct the amount..

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Last edited by xox2010; Thu, Mar 1st, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I hope anyone who is working pt is claiming for the workers income tax benefit. It's a big jump to your taxes every year.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Just got my taxes back, took 2 weeks exactly through netfile. Feel like having a celebration, going shopping today
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

ok I have a mind boggler....

So I logged on to hubby's CRA online today, after just finishing our taxes on Monday. And they say they have been assessed, and all info is posted online BUT its says an assessment date of March 8.?.?.?.?. So why is all my info posted as assessed already? Does it take an extra week for them to direct deposit a cheque???

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Beavers and cubs go under the children's art credit not the fitness credit. It's new this year as it could not be claimed last year.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scbpooh View Post
    ok I have a mind boggler....

So I logged on to hubby's CRA online today, after just finishing our taxes on Monday. And they say they have been assessed, and all info is posted online BUT its says an assessment date of March 8.?.?.?.?. So why is all my info posted as assessed already? Does it take an extra week for them to direct deposit a cheque???
    They do the DD on certain dates in a bunch instead of doing it on each day for different people.

So if they have assesed the returns of say 10 people this week on 7 different days they will bunch all of them together and do their DD on one single day like March 8 , instead of doing it on 7 different days.. I think it saves them administrative costs by doing so.

The next DD date for all the assesed refunds could be March 14 and so on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information