User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Food allergies

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pac182 View Post
    Luckily so far I haven't developed any fod allergies. I have notice when I eat out that whatever restaurants use to cook with will make my face go red/hot but my face goes red/hot for lots of things so i'm used to it. My mom is allergic to a ton and pretty much lives on bread, potatoes, carrots, beans, steak and turkey.
    My face does that when I even have a sip of wine...I thought is was the sulphates
    New mom October 2014!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    My face does that when I even have a sip of wine...I thought is was the sulphates
    Abby, I'm not sure if it's true of commercial wines. But I make my own wine, and while the sulphite levels are lower than you'd find in the commercial ones, there's something we add to aid in clearing the wine, it's called chitin. It comes from shellfish! Maybe that's what's causing a bit of a reaction? The amount would be very small, in my homemade wine it's maybe two tablespoons in 30 bottles of wine, and some of that probably gets left behind in the sediment. But might be enough to make you flush.

To move on to another subject, this all sounds awful. Fortunately my family is allergy-free. But I recently discovered a grain-like food (actually it's a seed) called quinoa. It's supposed to be gluten free, comparable in texture to rice and is quite healthy. I bought it for the first time at Bulk Barn last week, it was kind of expensive, friends told me that it's cheaper to get at Costco, so will do that next time now that I know that we like it.

I had originally bought it because I saw a mac and cheese recipe made with it, but then I made up a meal from it for us to take to lunch instead. I just browned onions, garlic and mushrooms, added spinach, then chicken broth and a couple of skinless chicken thighs. I let that simmer for quite awhile, removed the chicken and took it off the bones, added the quinoa toward the end. It expands to maybe 3-4 times its original volume. Made a very tasty lunch!
    Last edited by Zonny; Tue, Feb 21st, 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Abby, I'm not sure if it's true of commercial wines. But I make my own wine, and while the sulphite levels are lower than you'd find in the commercial ones, there's something we add to aid in clearing the wine, it's called chitin. It comes from shellfish! Maybe that's what's causing a bit of a reaction? The amount would be very small, in my homemade wine it's maybe two tablespoons in 30 bottles of wine, and some of that probably gets left behind in the sediment. But might be enough to make you flush.

To move on to another subject, this all sounds awful. Fortunately my family is allergy-free. But I recently discovered a grain-like food (actually it's a seed) called quinoa. It's supposed to be gluten free, comparable in texture to rice and is quite healthy. I bought it for the first time at Bulk Barn last week, it was kind of expensive, friends told me that it's cheaper to get at Costco, so will do that next time now that I know that we like it.

I had originally bought it because I saw a mac and cheese recipe made with it, but then I made up a meal from it for us to take to lunch instead. I just browned onions, garlic and mushrooms, added spinach, then chicken broth and a couple of skinless chicken thighs. I let that simmer for quite awhile, removed the chicken and took it off the bones, added the quinoa toward the end. It expands to maybe 3-4 times its original volume. Made a very tasty lunch!
    Omg!!! I had no idea about wine!!! I don't really love the texture of quinoa but I make it...yes I buy it at costco
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post

Better stick to gin or vodka. Shots anyone?
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I just make kale chips in my oven. Put on 170 and make sure to turn them over often. Lots of olive oil, vinegar and salt & pepper. yum. I can't even let these sit in the cupboard for 3 days. Seems I eat a LOT of kale this way. lol. I'm not Kermit green yet. I also make apple chips - plain dry apple. Those get eaten very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    Abby, omg, that's a lot of allergies! I have an anaphylactic reaction to shellfish. Even just touching it I break out into blisters. I also have intolerance to gluten, dairy, salmon, blueberries and bananas, and nickel and latex plus I have IBS. I'm also a vegetarian. I think if I ever develop an allergy to soy I will go crazy.

I love kale chips! What happens that they don't taste right?

I have an american harvest dehydrator, it's not bad. But I hear the Excalibur is amazing!

I feel for you! Such a hassle going to other peoples house for me, especially if people don't have any idea about allergies. They just don't seem to get that something could kill someone.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Vinegar?? Ok maybe that is why they don't taste right??? I have to get your recipe...please!!!
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

How long do the apples take?? Do u keep the skins on??
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

There's really no recipe for the kale. Just about 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 olive oil, salt, pepper. Mix together in a separate bowl. YOu can adjust to taste or use another spice and no vinegar. Some people like chili and/or lime with olive oil. I'm sure another oil works, but I haven't tried. I think the only "secret" is to thoroughly dry the kale after washing. Use your hands to work the oil mixture thoroughly into the kale.

The apples, just slice as thinly as you can, skin and all. In oven until you like the crispness - super dry or not so much. Keep the oven low, 170 or so, as you are drying, not cooking. Also turn over once in a while so they don't stick. You might want to use wax paper.
    Last edited by Tweetybird999; Tue, Feb 21st, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am like you and have many allergies including medications, anti-biotics and pain killers like morphine demerol etc.

I also am allergiec to peanuts(but not other real nuts), tuna, shellfish, papaya, mangoe, certain greens like chicory(which by the way is in Catelli Smart pasta and many granola bars like Kashi) too. I also have learned to stay away from any fruits or veggies i am not familiar with the family orgins of.

It sucks and i have gone into anaphalactic shock also, just from having allergy tests lol. Did that ever shock the doctor lol.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Wow. I hope you keep an Epi pen strapped to you at all times. If the allergy test put you in shock, you probably can't even smell those things! Yikes!! I got a nice epi pen holder for my son from Activeaide. Makes it very easy to carry around.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I am like you and have many allergies including medications, anti-biotics and pain killers like morphine demerol etc.

I also am allergiec to peanuts(but not other real nuts), tuna, shellfish, papaya, mangoe, certain greens like chicory(which by the way is in Catelli Smart pasta and many granola bars like Kashi) too. I also have learned to stay away from any fruits or veggies i am not familiar with the family orgins of.

It sucks and i have gone into anaphalactic shock also, just from having allergy tests lol. Did that ever shock the doctor lol.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yup I have an epi in my purse. Have not had to use it though.

You have to be careful and I find that processed foods are having more and more hidden or substitute ingredients and this is dangerous for us.

There was a case in Europe where a boy died from eating chocolate covered almonds but when they investigated them the company had been crushing peanuts and coating them with flavoring and coating them with chocolate, this has now stopped but you never know. I am very leary of foods produced in CHina especially since the Melamine incident in the baby formula.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Glad I am not alone...not glad I am not alone. I went in shock having Botox !!( headache/migraine treatment)
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird999 View Post
    There's really no recipe for the kale. Just about 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 olive oil, salt, pepper. Mix together in a separate bowl. YOu can adjust to taste or use another spice and no vinegar. Some people like chili and/or lime with olive oil. I'm sure another oil works, but I haven't tried. I think the only "secret" is to thoroughly dry the kale after washing. Use your hands to work the oil mixture thoroughly into the kale.

The apples, just slice as thinly as you can, skin and all. In oven until you like the crispness - super dry or not so much. Keep the oven low, 170 or so, as you are drying, not cooking. Also turn over once in a while so they don't stick. You might want to use wax paper.
    I am trying them both after spin class tonight!!! Thanks
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

LOL> My DH doesn't trust anything from Asia. And some parts of Europe are ok, some not. But hey, you never know. We want to go to a resort, but are worried about getting a peanut in something...sigh...

Yup I have an epi in my purse. Have not had to use it though.

You have to be careful and I find that processed foods are having more and more hidden or substitute ingredients and this is dangerous for us.

There was a case in Europe where a boy died from eating chocolate covered almonds but when they investigated them the company had been crushing peanuts and coating them with flavoring and coating them with chocolate, this has now stopped but you never know. I am very leary of foods produced in CHina especially since the Melamine incident in the baby formula.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

My juice was made in Canada !! Can't trust anyone!!! I carry 2 epi pens and 4 when we go. On vacation
    New mom October 2014!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information