User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Food allergies

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sometimes it's not necessarily the main ingrediant that you can be allergic to also. There are so many filler products.

In the early 90's I was a test subject for what later became Rhinocort and i had to drop out of the study when i went into anaphalactic shock when I was using it. I was allergic to cortisone, no one knew.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Wow, that is a lot of allergies, you poor thing! It is so rough too when they are that severe.

My husband has developed a...sensitivity to sulphites, is what the doctor calls it. He has IBS, so eating anything with sulphites aggravates the IBS, but it also seems that the sulphites build up in his system, and when it gets too much for his body to handle, he gets really sick (puking and diarrhea)....he will puke so hard that he pops blood vessels in his face and eyes. So we read the labels on everything, because they put it in everything...the muscle relaxants the doctor prescribed for his IBS had sulphites in them!

Oh and he is lactose intolerant too. He can eat a bit of soft cheese and have some milk in his food, but that's about it. Before we found all this out, when he would start getting sick (from the sulphites) he would drink a bunch of milk to aid his digestion, which of course unknowingly just made him sicker....

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibrantflame View Post
    Wow, that is a lot of allergies, you poor thing! It is so rough too when they are that severe.

My husband has developed a...sensitivity to sulphites, is what the doctor calls it. He has IBS, so eating anything with sulphites aggravates the IBS, but it also seems that the sulphites build up in his system, and when it gets too much for his body to handle, he gets really sick (puking and diarrhea)....he will puke so hard that he pops blood vessels in his face and eyes. So we read the labels on everything, because they put it in everything...the muscle relaxants the doctor prescribed for his IBS had sulphites in them!

Oh and he is lactose intolerant too. He can eat a bit of soft cheese and have some milk in his food, but that's about it. Before we found all this out, when he would start getting sick (from the sulphites) he would drink a bunch of milk to aid his digestion, which of course unknowingly just made him sicker....
    Thank goodness you guys figured it out
    New mom October 2014!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    My juice was made in Canada !! Can't trust anyone!!! I carry 2 epi pens and 4 when we go. On vacation
    I'm not sure if the rules have changed, but I don't think so. In 2008, food could be labelled either 'Made in Canada' or 'Product of Canada' if 51 per cent of the direct costs of producing or manufacturing the goods were incurred in the country and the last substantial changes to the goods occurred in Canada.

Could be your juice ingredients came from China or anywhere else in the world where the rules aren't as strict, with most of the processing occurring here.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

They can also ship the product to China for processing, like apples for juice.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    Omg!! That is why I had a huge reaction to the dye!!! Why didn't thy tell me!!!
    It's sad to say BUT it just depends on "who you get"! I have had many minor surgeries and always informed them of my allergies and no one ever mentioned a potential latex allergy because of the Papaya/Mango until I had major surgery. You'd think they ALL would have made that connection lol

I was told that they've tried to move away from the Shellfish based dyes due to allergic reactions but some hospitals/clinics still use it because it's a cheaper dye to use. Just remember anytime you need an injection to remind them of your shellfish allergy!
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, Feb 21st, 2012 at 09:35 PM.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Thanks Tara
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Did you try the chips?
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

No not yet. I am going to buy kale today. I am not doing any thing tonight so that is my plan!!! I hope the apples work really well...I want to take them to my spin class for my birthday next week. Do u put cinnamon on them??
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I've never put anything on the apples. I think you could though.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I'm allergic to flax. If I eat it, my blood pressure can drop dangerously. Almost everything "multigrain" or enriched with omega 3 has flax in it. I am also allergic to both types of yeast, can eat it in smaller amounts.

My husband is allergic to strawberries. Kiwis are related, so they are also a thing to avoid. Most people don't know this, but Pepsi has strawberries in it. The company denies it, but if you get your hands on an old bottle it says strawberries on it. Besides, strawberries are the only thing my husband is allergic to and it is very obvious when he has consumed some.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Apple chips - one of my coworkers has a food dehydrator and makes these, just leaves them in longer than you would for dried fruit. He brought some in one time, are they ever good!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Tried the chips...I don't think they are my thing
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Too bad.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird999 View Post
    Too bad.
    It is so wanted to like them. I went to great gluten free resturant for my birthday today!! Called Frankie's--- it is in Uxbridge a little far but worth it!!!
    New mom October 2014!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information