User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Can you survive?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    good for you OP and yes. we thankfully managed to pay off our debt awhile back and couponing has helped immensely.
    we went without cable for nearly 3 years.. we used an antenna then they switched over to Digital. and we lost everything. so we got cable.
    You still get free digital OTA channels. If you have an old TV you will need a converter box which you can get for about 25 bucks...and till use your antenna.

For new TV's , you don't need the converter box and can use the antenna directly or free channels.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

thats ok tj. i figured after nothing for 3 years it was ok to treat ourselves. besides we signed into a month to month contract.. we can cancel anytime.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

OMG I'd love that!! After my bills every month...I'm usually a couple of dollars ahead or lose money.

I always keep a buffer in the account though just in case.
    Matt

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

We are left still owing every month after the money runs out and we have no buffer. Really working on changing that this year.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have faith in you EricsMom, a little determination is all it takes... that, and some accountability for yourself. That's what worked great for me. Keep us posted, we're here to help
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

so this month, im left with a surplus of $ 738.96 after paying my rent, food, cable.... i usually save about $800.00 a month - don't know if that's good or bad, since I have nothing to compare it with.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I figure once I move and pay my share of bills I will have like $100 left over a month I wish it could be more but I don't make a ton of money as it is, plus I'm a student too. I really want to save up a down payment for a place but at the rate I am managing to save it is looking like it won't happen for a very long time.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Just some advice for those starting out on their own....if you own your own home and make a decent salary, avoid buying the latest gadgets, getting cable, going out habitually for dinner. Instead, try pay that mortgage off ASAP and save for your retirement. We were in that position to live an upscale lifestyle when my husband had a good paying job but we decided to live frugally with the priorities of working on paying off our mortgage, saving for retirement and supporting a family in poverty (Africa). Staying in touch with a family in poverty kept our focus to live frugally and still does.

A number of years ago, my husband lost his job due to the market down turn and I can't tell you enough how thankful we were that our home was paid off and we had savings in the bank. He now works quite happily for another company but with half the salary but we don't have to stress out because our lifestyle has been such that we know how to make do....couponing helps lol....
    matrix82, lecale and MiaowTheCat like this.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Wow..the area I live in , the cheapest rent is $ 1,000 per month with utilities..this includes even basement apartments ..apartments in buildings are even more than that.

How much rent do you pay ? Are utilities like water,hydro and heating included in that rent ?

How much do you pay for transport ? Even if you don't have a car and don't have to worry about gas, insurance, maintenance etc..just public transport can get pretty expensive too

My rent with all utilities included is $715 a month, we also have fully fueled up BBQ's and a whole patio to enjoy with fresh flowers and picnic tables, paid for by the landlord. Our laundry is $1.50 a wash and $1.50 for 2 dryers. We don't drive so that saves us money. I am allowed a dog or cat too. I love my apartment complex, it's 90% seniors so we never hear noise or anything.

We walk everywhere, next door to me is 24hr metro store, and tons of businesses. We also bike since there are bicycle path's everywhere.
    matrix82, ssbean and cath007 like this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I don't pay rent right now (live at home), but after all expenses I'm left with 540$. I'd be screwed if I did live on my own, I'd be damned lucky if I could find something within that price range. And I wouldn't be able to save and pay off the debt I do have.

I'm adding another 1000$ to my debt load since I want to do a TESOL course. I'm going to try and get a LOC to pay off my MC and pay a lower interest rate. And then move to South Korea and have an epic adventure.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gameprogirl View Post
    My rent with all utilities included is $715 a month, we also have fully fueled up BBQ's and a whole patio to enjoy with fresh flowers and picnic tables, paid for by the landlord. Our laundry is $1.50 a wash and $1.50 for 2 dryers. We don't drive so that saves us money. I am allowed a dog or cat too. I love my apartment complex, it's 90% seniors so we never hear noise or anything.

We walk everywhere, next door to me is 24hr metro store, and tons of businesses. We also bike since there are bicycle path's everywhere.
    My kind of apartment, quiet!
    neelkamalll1979 likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I will be moving soon, my rent will be $940, includes cold water, so after Electricity, closer to $1050. We are in an apartment away from the city center but on a bus route. We have two vehicles, one which is paid off as of this month . But we may go down to one vehicle depending on what our schedules are like. We went from country living to soon, city living. So we are going to see a huge difference in what we have been paying on gas.

I am hoping that we will be able to save some money, we have student loans that we are trying to put extra payments on. There isn't much left over at the end of the month that is for sure. I wish we had almost $800 left over. We would be saving for retirement then.

My hope is that the two of us remain healthy.
    Last edited by matrix82; Mon, May 28th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    gameprogirl and lecale like this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Our total net income a mOnth is $2000 including child tax ect and I have always wondered the same thing as most pll I know make more.
    After all the bills and before groceries we have around $535 a month -$450 grocery/stocking/baby suppliesI feel like we need to compare some can learn to spend less cause we litter ally shouldn't be spending a cent cause of th debt we have and pay $600 a mOnth towards... They dOnt say the debt cycle is a trap for nothing!! Have you ever had to get out of this sort of thing cause since we have comParable $ I'm interested...
    HOHOHO ‘‘tis then season for trading
    check out my TL/WL fair trader, been out of the game for too long, small but HV list.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

wow thats alot! ide be putting most of that away to save. after i pay all my bills, rent, hydro, phone , cable/internet and laundry/bus fare. Im left with 478$ . With that money I have to buy groceries, and whatever other fun things we want to do.
    ashedfc likes this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessep13 View Post
    wow thats alot! ide be putting most of that away to save. after i pay all my bills, rent, hydro, phone , cable/internet and laundry/bus fare. Im left with 478$ . With that money I have to buy groceries, and whatever other fun things we want to do.
    Thats good, you are left with $478.
    But try & do a budgeting "including groceries & fun"...
    so this way you know that after all expenses (including grocery/ & fun) - what is your spare money remaining. This amount is your savings.

Its this money accumulated over a period a time is very essential, & it helps in getting through tough times..

ASH
    www.edfc.ca

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information