User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 2012 Pay it Forward; Christmas Generousity Personal Collection

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks fantastic Retiree
    macw1960 likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

I've got some items already collected for the food bank although I don't think I'll wait until Christmas... I've seen the pictures of their empty shelves on FB and I think they could use stuff now! I can always gather more for xmas!
    -canned soup
    -pom juice
    -cereal
    -KD

As well, I've got some items for a local woman's shelter:
    -nexxus!
    -makeup (free with cover girl coupons, I think?)
    -dove body wash

I never even thought of donating to a nursing home but I LOVE the idea. I did my co-op hours at a nursing home and I know some of the residents could definitely use a pick me up at Christmas! I'm keeping this in mind
    Last edited by sheetsofemptycanvas; Tue, Aug 14th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I like to donate all year year round to our local food bank. Sometimes it does not seem like much but I guess every bit helps. I have prizes from the EB/Crayola contest that will be donated for the toy drives this year in our area.
    jasperandchar likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

great feeling when you donate macw1960!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

My family is adopting a family for the month of December.

Originally we were going to donate to the food bank but a few months back in August I sent am email to our church and just today rec'd a family that is in need this Holiday Season.

The family is a single mother, with a set of twins and an older daughter.

I am so excited as I have a huge stockpile that I've been donating items throughout the year but now get to do our biggest donation to date.

I did do 38 RAOKS (random acts of kindness) for my birthday instead of gifts for myself and I had a blast and felt fantastic.

So this donation will consist of so many items but I promise to take pictures as the items are boxed up and get ready for the drop off date (waiting on the date from the church's secretary)
    hydroxybutane likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    258 (100%)

Hi all,

For the last 7 years, I've done Christmas Outreach (family sponsorship) for my parish. When I first started, we had had 7 families..last year we sponsored 36 and this year we currently have 27 families (as of today) and 5 sponsorees (families/businesses sponsoring a family). My elves will be hitting the streets this week to start shopping, we have one massive grocery shop day (ooo please have good sales with coupons!) and a wrap/pack/deliver day.

Personally this year, I have made a committment to provide personal hygiene items to the sponsored families. I have 36 bottles of shampoo (thanks PurpleBunny for the BOGO's!), Dove body wash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, tampons, pads, bar soap...all kinds of things and I plan to do them up nicely into little bags with the families names on it. I have to say that there are some awesome local SCer's that have also donated and are willing to be sponsorees.

This is a huge undertaking, but it is one that is near and dear to my heart for many reasons. First, I was one of the sponsored children. My parents never had much and we would only get one or two things for Christmas, always something handmade by my dad in the workshop and something sown by my mom and then sometimes there would be some magically toy..something I knew as I got older my parents would have never bought (BARBIES! being the best example) I remember one Christmas we must have gotten groceries, because there was WHITE BREAD and OREOS! My mom would NEVER buy white bread or cookies...LOL.

Secondly, many of these families/children that are sponsored, I know personally. I live in the neighbourhood, I volunteer at the school, I volunteer as a Scout leaders, I volunteer with the afterschool and lunch program...I know these kids..I love these kiddos.. and I like to see them have a great Christmas.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

There are so many generous people on this site! Great work I am volunteering for the first time this year to a new charity called the Be a Santa to a Senior. There are over 400 seniors on the list this year and I have been trying to collect items all year to donate. Shoppers used to have a great clearance area but when it was renovated it disappeared, I was sad, it was the best place to get good deals. Still collecting and hoping to see some of the seniors with their gifts. I love this time of year!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

hydroxybutane thanks for sharing your stories/memories, life is not easy especially when you are a child, it takes a village to raise a child so they say. thank you for all you do for your community & the kiddos!

Great job & super generous!

Quote Originally Posted by hydroxybutane View Post
    Hi all,

For the last 7 years, I've done Christmas Outreach (family sponsorship) for my parish. When I first started, we had had 7 families..last year we sponsored 36 and this year we currently have 27 families (as of today) and 5 sponsorees (families/businesses sponsoring a family). My elves will be hitting the streets this week to start shopping, we have one massive grocery shop day (ooo please have good sales with coupons!) and a wrap/pack/deliver day.

Personally this year, I have made a committment to provide personal hygiene items to the sponsored families. I have 36 bottles of shampoo (thanks PurpleBunny for the BOGO's!), Dove body wash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, tampons, pads, bar soap...all kinds of things and I plan to do them up nicely into little bags with the families names on it. I have to say that there are some awesome local SCer's that have also donated and are willing to be sponsorees.

This is a huge undertaking, but it is one that is near and dear to my heart for many reasons. First, I was one of the sponsored children. My parents never had much and we would only get one or two things for Christmas, always something handmade by my dad in the workshop and something sown by my mom and then sometimes there would be some magically toy..something I knew as I got older my parents would have never bought (BARBIES! being the best example) I remember one Christmas we must have gotten groceries, because there was WHITE BREAD and OREOS! My mom would NEVER buy white bread or cookies...LOL.

Secondly, many of these families/children that are sponsored, I know personally. I live in the neighbourhood, I volunteer at the school, I volunteer as a Scout leaders, I volunteer with the afterschool and lunch program...I know these kids..I love these kiddos.. and I like to see them have a great Christmas.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

That is truly a wonderful cause, elderly people are often alone especially during the holiday season, so very kind & generous of you!

Quote Originally Posted by jenner View Post
    There are so many generous people on this site! Great work I am volunteering for the first time this year to a new charity called the Be a Santa to a Senior. There are over 400 seniors on the list this year and I have been trying to collect items all year to donate. Shoppers used to have a great clearance area but when it was renovated it disappeared, I was sad, it was the best place to get good deals. Still collecting and hoping to see some of the seniors with their gifts. I love this time of year!!

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hydroxybutane View Post
    Hi all,

I got a mention! I'm so special! Was just glad someone could use them all before they expired, that they got there in time and you got to use them on a sale. Much better putting them in the envelope then putting them in the bin!

I too used to get presents from donations when I was younger. I can't imagine the stress my mother must of gone threw having 4 children on her own and not being able to afford a single gift, add to that that my birthday was 3 days before! So many people helped us have the best possible christmas we could.

I also never got the cookies or white bread OR juice when growing up unless it was donated. Loved it so much! The only real treats we got was a homemade cake on our birthdays

This year I donated 4 mp3 players to a toy drive for teenagers. Two pink and two blue. I hope whoever gets them is happy with them and not snotty because it wasn't an ipod. I know there are some people out there who still receive help and donations but are awfully snotty about what they get *cough* my mom *cough* She never used to be that way when we were younger. I tried to tell her last year that it was the thought that counts and how was the donator to know the shirt wouldn't fit her and she wouldn't like it? Atleast they included a gift receipt so she could get something else!
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

great donations PurpleBunn89 very generous & thoughtful of you to think of others this time of year, I'm sure the kids will be please with their mp3 players, Ipods are overated my mom bought my kids each one and after 1 month of using them they are now 1 1/2 years old and collecting dust. Glad to see that your humble beginnings have made you the best you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    I got a mention! I'm so special! Was just glad someone could use them all before they expired, that they got there in time and you got to use them on a sale. Much better putting them in the envelope then putting them in the bin!

I too used to get presents from donations when I was younger. I can't imagine the stress my mother must of gone threw having 4 children on her own and not being able to afford a single gift, add to that that my birthday was 3 days before! So many people helped us have the best possible christmas we could.

I also never got the cookies or white bread OR juice when growing up unless it was donated. Loved it so much! The only real treats we got was a homemade cake on our birthdays

This year I donated 4 mp3 players to a toy drive for teenagers. Two pink and two blue. I hope whoever gets them is happy with them and not snotty because it wasn't an ipod. I know there are some people out there who still receive help and donations but are awfully snotty about what they get *cough* my mom *cough* She never used to be that way when we were younger. I tried to tell her last year that it was the thought that counts and how was the donator to know the shirt wouldn't fit her and she wouldn't like it? Atleast they included a gift receipt so she could get something else!
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

My girls and I (10 and 6 yrs) just dropped off our second donation since November to the Brantford SPCA.
    -whiskas cat food dry
    -purina kitten food x3 bags
    -12 cans of cat food
    -12 cans of kitten food
    -6 bags of temptations
    -1 bag of dentabones
    -4 bags of dog treats
    -4 beneful wet dog food

We are hoping to continue this into the New Year on a smaller scale and increase closer to Christmas.
    I want my kids to know the gift of giving.

Good going to all of the other posters!
    lilo0003, jasperandchar and KJH like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We give our grandson an allowance each week. He is 9 and he gets $3 for spending, $3 for saving, $1 for investing and $1 for donation. When it comes to his donation, he always chooses to take things like pet food or kitty litter or dog buscuits or rawhide bones to the Humane Society. He does this a couple of times per year.

I think that for young kids, donations to the Humane Society work really well because they realize that they are helping out but can also have the pleasure of seeing all the animals. Our grandson even takes his mom's digital camera when he goes to the Humane Society so he can bring home pictures of the animals.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Very generous & a greater life lesson for all no matter the age.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    My girls and I (10 and 6 yrs) just dropped off our second donation since November to the Brantford SPCA.
    -whiskas cat food dry
    -purina kitten food x3 bags
    -12 cans of cat food
    -12 cans of kitten food
    -6 bags of temptations
    -1 bag of dentabones
    -4 bags of dog treats
    -4 beneful wet dog food

We are hoping to continue this into the New Year on a smaller scale and increase closer to Christmas.
    I want my kids to know the gift of giving.

Good going to all of the other posters!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Absolute awesome your grandson should be so proud & you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    We give our grandson an allowance each week. He is 9 and he gets $3 for spending, $3 for saving, $1 for investing and $1 for donation. When it comes to his donation, he always chooses to take things like pet food or kitty litter or dog buscuits or rawhide bones to the Humane Society. He does this a couple of times per year.

I think that for young kids, donations to the Humane Society work really well because they realize that they are helping out but can also have the pleasure of seeing all the animals. Our grandson even takes his mom's digital camera when he goes to the Humane Society so he can bring home pictures of the animals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information