User Tag List

Page 44 of 149 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 144 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

the bees seem to have declared your old birdhouse to be their new home... bees are great, but if i were you, i'd call someone to have it relocated... they're scary when they're in "protect the hive" mode

great job on the vegetables i wish i had the space to plant everything you mentioned
    redhdlois likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

redhdlois,

If your beets don't come up, it might be the birds either eating the seeds or the tiny greens. I had my husband build an enclosure for my beets because I was sick of reseeding them three times every year because of those pesky birds.

I wonder if those bees will share some of their honey with you? (although you'd have to be a brave person to try to get at it!)
    GoJays and redhdlois like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    redhdlois,

If your beets don't come up, it might be the birds either eating the seeds or the tiny greens. I had my husband build an enclosure for my beets because I was sick of reseeding them three times every year because of those pesky birds.

I wonder if those bees will share some of their honey with you? (although you'd have to be a brave person to try to get at it!)
    I just planted them last week, so I'm sure they are fine.........

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Enjoy the bees in the meantime (free pollinators!) while you see if you have any local or hobby beekeeper willing to visit and to see what it would take to find the bees a new home.

http://www.bcbeekeepers.com/?page_id=702
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We've had a strange Spring...I don't think there's been frost for at least two or three weeks. Last year. my plants were shuffled in and out of the cold for what seemed like a whole month.

I don't have a lot blooming right now but there is so much promise in the ground...

My fernleafed bleeding heart doesn't get very tall but it has a much longer period of bloom that the common one.

The fern leafed peony is full of buds and should open up in the next week or so.

I have two pulmonarias, aka lungwort. You can just see the lighter foliaged one in the last shot (at the bottom right). The flowers start out pink and progress to purple.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

love Patty's box colour and marstec's fern peony.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Beautiful marstec! I have to start taking pictures of what's blooming soon

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Neighbourhood Irises have already bloomed.Our clearance Iris, bought during last year's garden season are blooming now.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I dug up the old iris bulb that sent leaves up from under a repositioned sidewalk paver and moved it to the front flower bed. But since the leaves did not stay intact with the roots, chances are I'll have to see if the bulb blooms next spring. Also saw two woody branches from what are most likely rose bushes and moved them-hope they will bloom later.

Joy at seeing those green helicopter looking leaves from two-week old radish seeds! Even if we did have icy rain a week and a half ago, radishes carried on growing and the spicy Italian and mesclun lettuces are 5" high now. Likely will take some leaves for a salad this weekend to see how they taste.

Today, just enough rain fell to keep me from having to do any watering during the cooler temps. I thought we had three days of rain but got today's allotment. Considering the heat, glad my little produce growers are still green!
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, May 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
    GoJays likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Ciel, are there any leaves or buds on the plants that you think are rose bushes? The leaves should be out on them by now. If they're just sticks, chances are they didn't make it over the winter. Cut into the top inch and keep cutting down an inch at a time until you see green wood. No green wood? No more rose. I used to have about five or six rose bushes but now I have only one left (World Peace, and I bought a Graham Thomas last week). They're easy but they're not. Sigh.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Whats blooming in my yard...not my lawn! I think we have those nasty grubs :o(

we just moved there and one side of the lawn is all patchy. We knew the previous people had a dog and just figured that it's urine had killed the lawn in patches. However...I was pulling out some weeds on the lawn this week to start putting seed down and kept coming across these little brown larvae. Not a tonne in one spot...just sporadically. Now, I googled the lawn grub larvae to see if what I was finding was the lawn grub...but all the pictures I see of lawn grub larvae they're white...and these little guys are all brown.
    anyone have any experience with lawn grubs?
    Last edited by Sunshyne1; Fri, May 24th, 2013 at 12:29 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

they're probably leather jackets.. is this the guy?

they eat the roots of the grass in their larval form then they turn into this:

nasty crane fly.. they lay more eggs in the lawn and the cycle continues..

our lawn has never been infested to the point that we have to do something about them, but they're always there.. some websites recommend beneficial nematodes

try this site: http://www.crd.bc.ca/gardening/leatherjackets.htm
    or you can just google for leather jacket control, there are a thousand sites that offer some sort of advice.. good luck
    itsmewhoelse and Sunshyne1 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

crane fly, so that's what they were! i thought they were either giant mosquitoes or insects related to dragonflies.

i always hand-pick them and feed to the hungry spiders.
    GoJays likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Rain all week, I am stuck in limbo with half the garden planted

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cookoo View Post
    crane fly, so that's what they were! i thought they were either giant mosquitoes or insects related to dragonflies.

i always hand-pick them and feed to the hungry spiders.
    one of my favorite past times!
    Angela273 likes this.

Page 44 of 149 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 144 ... LastLast

Thread Information