User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you be spending less at SDM?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have already decreased my spending there because of the points stealing fiasco

35 28.69%
  • I will be spending less because i cannot combine points offers

43 35.25%
  • I will keep shopping at SDM the same as always

41 33.61%
  • points? what points???

3 2.46%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Will the recent 'clawing back' of Optimum Points motivate you to spend LESS?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

OK can someone clarify for me a few things, as I haven't had the time lately to keep up daily with these threads, and now I'm confused I understand that they are taking back certain BPs, but have they also actually made an announcement that we will no longer be able to use coupons to lower our totals during a promo event AND have it count toward our total? I've seen a few people on here mention that they will no longer be shopping there, since they never spend $50/$75 without coupons, so I am confused.
    ALSO, for promos like the gas card or Tim's, the computer prompts the cashier to give out the card, right? But how does SDM actually know if that card was given, in order to "claw" back BPs from the transaction?? I've seen several people in lines forget to get such cards while shopping, since none of the cashiers EVER offer these promos to ANYONE unless you specifically say "I believe I qualify for the promo card". So I just can't imagine SDM being able to prove that someone received a card or not? Unless the cashiers write it down or do they swipe something...?

On top of it all, I hardly ever do the Tim's promo, but I did do it last week, because I couldn't wait to purchase certain items. Then I got the cashier telling me that even though my total was $50.93, I purchased one cottage cheese ($1.99), which is dairy, and therefore does not count toward my "promo" total, so I had to buy something else to top it off....I've seen a few cashiers try this before, but now with SDM changing all the rules, maybe this cashier was right! ?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

And by the way, it makes no sense to me, since even in QC, we can get points on dairy, we just cannot redeem them. The cashier tried to go that route at first saying "oh dairy doesn't count toward points"...but I stopped her dead in her tracks and told her that it most certainly does, at which point she changed her tune and said "oh yeah, I know you get points on dairy, but it doesn't count toward a promo"??? Ugh, really, haven't shopped that much there lately, but all this confusion is more reason to just stick to the basics and only buy eggs there or whatever else is at rock bottom.
    walkonby likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As far as I am concerned, using coupons on 20x points days is what makes this a great program. The other day I spent $50.04 and used $16 of coupons. I received 10,000 points which is worth 20$ on bonus redemption day (when redeeming 50,000 points). Where else can you go where they will give you 59% of your out-of-pocket in free product? And before someone says I probably paid 59% more for products at SDM than I would have at another supermarket... WRONG!. I only buy the products that are equal or lower than my supermarket's prices.
    For example, milk, eggs, pop, toilet paper, kleenex, bread, granola bars, cookies, etc. are often cheaper or same price as at the supermarket. It is easy to run up a 50$ bill and not pay more than the competition if you spend a little time to read the SDM flyer.
    I don't understand how empty my SDM (few customers) my SDM has on 20x points days. With little effort, you can get 50% of your total after coupons in free product.
    The question is why aren't more people doing it???? If SDM ever stops allowing 20x points on total after coupons, it would be the worst move in retail history since Blockbuster refusing to believe online streaming of movies was going to kill DVD rentals.
    Last edited by Panache70; Tue, Jun 12th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
    carlyincanada likes this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MiaowTheCat View Post
    And by the way, it makes no sense to me, since even in QC, we can get points on dairy, we just cannot redeem them. The cashier tried to go that route at first saying "oh dairy doesn't count toward points"...but I stopped her dead in her tracks and told her that it most certainly does, at which point she changed her tune and said "oh yeah, I know you get points on dairy, but it doesn't count toward a promo"??? Ugh, really, haven't shopped that much there lately, but all this confusion is more reason to just stick to the basics and only buy eggs there or whatever else is at rock bottom.
    Did you say you get points but can't redeem them? Isn't that sort of.... pointless? Sorry for the pun, but I couldn't think of a better word. SDM, what else do you do with points besides redeem them?! Lousy SDM...

Combined with all the other nonsense that's been going on, I do want to give them a shake. Have gremlins broken into their marketing department and thought of ways to send SDM into a tailspin? At this rate, their customer satisfaction rating will be in line with the thought of Prince Charles' becoming the reigning monarch about a decade ago.

And for the SDM $10 card, it is scanned and added to your bill as $10 promo card or something like that. They have a big stack of them near the cashiers so they may be like regular gift cards and need to be rung in before use.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    And when they do .... it`ll be the last they see of me
    Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    "kshearer, so many ppl are collecting mega points for medical supplies. awesome use of their points "

That'll be the next policy they retroactively change.....
    Well, SDM can't have it both ways... I spend about $2400 there every year JUST on pump supplies. They are over the counter, and you do not need a prescription for them. They are not medication. I can get them cheaper elsewhere, but when you take the Optimum points into consideration, it makes it worth while for me to spend a little extra to earn ALOT extra. If they want to keep diabetic's business, they won't touch the perks! I think there would be a MASS exodus of diabetic shopping if the points were taken away. If that happened, I don't think I would have any reason to shop there... ever. I'd just PM Sun/Mon specials at Walmart

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

lol @ sweet sparrow sorry, wasn't very clear there! I meant that here in QC, we can get points for buying milk but we are not allowed to redeem them FOR milk. Some sort of regulation related to the milk laws/price controls on milk here in QC I assume

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MiaowTheCat View Post
    lol @ sweet sparrow sorry, wasn't very clear there! I meant that here in QC, we can get points for buying milk but we are not allowed to redeem them FOR milk. Some sort of regulation related to the milk laws/price controls on milk here in QC I assume
    You're right. Since there is a the "lowest milk price" is controlled here, you can't redeem for it, because it would make it free. Free is indisputably lower than the lowest permissible price... It's the milk cartel!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

I like that rewok, "milk cartel"!!! I also heard a few times that the owner of the SDM at which a person redeems his/her points actually pays for part (or the full??) of the cost of the redemption. Not sure how this works at all, but in that case, I don't see why our milk can't be free to redeem

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

I have shopped ALOT LESS since the mess in DEC (Mega Bonus) and the same for friends & family too! I only go for the 20x or 18,500 promos if its something we NEED...as I've got a good stockpile & tons of cosmetics that would put Tammy Faye to shame LOL

I think SDM has been missing me lol, as I've gotten 3 phone calls this week from two diff local stores!! hehe The gals at my home store are awesome so I will continue to support them when I really need something but SDM needs to get their act together asap!!
    anisa, Silk, lecale and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Wow, lots of action in the SDM forum! I will shop the same. My stores are awesome and I agree that the "kick back" in free is super. I will still try BP Coupons on promotional events, the worst the cashiers can do is say no (or apparently take the points away later?!?!, which has not happened to me). My understanding is that I should not be allowed to combine my points with any other offer...meaning 20X BP, so until they say no...I will ask.

Like many, I only buy what I plan to use so I will only be using a BP coupon if it is for something I need, like diapers.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I had already cut my spending at SDM as a result of the points fiasco, but this will make me cut it further

The way I see it:

SDM is far more expensive than buying at other stores. Prior, I bought mostly on 20x days because the points (plus bonus points) as well as points on coupons brought the items down to an affordable price. If they are going to make it harder to know what you are getting and not properly advertise the terms of the offers, I will take my business to someone who values transparency in their offers (even last week with the min spend offer, the instore BP offers did not state they could not be combined and the cosmetics person told me about offers on makeup without mentioning I could not combine)
    anisa, carlyincanada and redhdlois like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I will continue as before, I only shop on 20x or 18,500 and I don't use bonus coupons.... I'm half way to my goal of 2 big redemptions for Christmas. I do think this is unfair to those who do rely on those extra points, but it doesn't impact me or my shopping.
    Wanna make some spare cash? Check out Clixsense: http://www.clixsense.com/?5382267

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

this is the first i am reading it,....since the whole christmas fiasco i have barely shopped at SDM unless there was a killer deal out there that i needed to stock up on. I used to buy all my milk there etc but now for the 20cents more my grocery store charges I just buy it there. Unfortunately this would cause me to shop even less if i have to worry about my points disappearing if im unsure if i would qualify for the bonus or not....

I really only ever shopped on a 20X day before unless like i said a really good deal but now i barely even look at their flyers!
    carlyincanada and redhdlois like this.

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

This just gets so confusing...mom bought Lise Watier cosmetics during 18,500 promo & got 10x points wus $70 on LW stuff....so she got the points right away on receipt so hoping they dont claw back as mom spent $150!! in 2 transactions!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yep-i for one am not worrying about running to shoppers anymore -can get a lot of items cheaper elsewhere -i price match a lot at zellers and get points -mind you i go there for the milk/bread/toilet paper when it is cheap or i need milk-i havent even been to a 20 times the points this year-not worried

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information