User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you be spending less at SDM?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have already decreased my spending there because of the points stealing fiasco

35 28.69%
  • I will be spending less because i cannot combine points offers

43 35.25%
  • I will keep shopping at SDM the same as always

41 33.61%
  • points? what points???

3 2.46%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Will the recent 'clawing back' of Optimum Points motivate you to spend LESS?

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I hope everyone is emailing SDM HO with their concerns......hopefully they will think twice before doing 'claw backs', or better yet, re-imburse everyone for the points they snatched back, get their system working properly so we can't 'double dip', change the price tags on the items that have bonus points stating you won't be getting both (if there's a better promo), and then carry on. I think it's such bad business to retroactively take points back.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find SDM even with higher prices, has the best rewards system out there.

I only shop 20X days, take advantage of bonus redemptions, the November gift card promotion, etc. In buying gift cards first, and doing bonus redemptions, the return is approaching 50%. I do get way too many points because of my insulin pump and diabetic supplies and admit I never shopped at SDM before because I found their prices too high (I used to do Costco alot; when the kids were young and time was more limited). Now, I follow all the flyers, including SDM and find their sale prices very competitive, esp eggs, bacon, cream, Dove, books and household products.

When I look at a 20X promotion receipt, I see a wall of SALE words next to the items I buy.

I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible as well (but find their prices to be awfully seductive) - I worry their retail approach will drive our remaining manufacturing jobs abroad, so I do prefer to shop at Canadian shops.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I've been taking advantage of the Optimum Points program for the last year and a half. I've found that my approach has not changed at all in that time, and I will continue to shop at SDM in the future.

I love their points program - it is one of the best around and I've been able to redeem loads just by buying the things I need during 20x the points day or during other similar point promos. I absolutely adore their beauty department, too. I buy all my beauty products there now. I always look for kits or free gift with purchase promos (all my facial care products have come with some thing extra when I buy them) and take advantage during 20x the points day. This has allowed me to used high end products on my sensitive skin without breaking the bank. Anything that rarely comes with a kit or rarely or never is on sale (like my foundation), I usually save to buy during a redemption. And of course I love their CLEARANCE!! I don't always find something good in clearance, but when I do it is VERY good!! I do use coupons to try and get my total lower but to be honest, even by stocking up on their sales (I find most of their sale prices are very competitive with other places) I usually do quite well. I've found that for every $100 I spend I get an average of $50 worth of points back. I only spend them during bonus redemption events.

However, hearing about how people are losing points, I will definitely be more careful in the future about what I buy. But I definitely will not stop shopping at SDM - there's too much love there for it still!
    - Couponing since May 27, 2011 -
    I earned enough swagbucks to redeem for a $5 Amazon e-gift card in my first week of joining
    ! JOIN SWAGBUCKS

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

I also think that despite the higher than average regular prices on many items, the rewards system is hard to beat.
    Please keep in mind that where I live my grocery choices are WM, NF, YIGs, SDM, and Metro. FOR ME, the sale prices at SDM ALWAYS match Walmart, if not beat them, so why not get the points to go with them? I do not have the option of stacking, double coupon days, etc, etc. as many do in other areas.
    I have only a couple of times (back in the beginning) attempted to use the BP coupons, as they all clearly state not to be combined with any other points promotions (which are the main times I shop there).
    As mentionned above, their clearance items are insane! Last week I scooped 5 Finish Quantumatic dispensers (with refill) for 0.99 each, and 5 extra refills for 0.75 each, the large Palmolive bottles for $1 (free after coupons), Brownies mix for 0.50 each, and 7 large bags of Uncle Bens brown rice for $1.00 each ($0.50 after coupons).
    So, yes SDM is very wrong in taking back the points after the fact (esp the ones that are automatic), and yes I am pissed about the 3500 that was taken from my card for the Multibionta last month, and the other 1500 that will most likely also be taken off for more Multibiontas this week.
    But will my shopping habits change at SDM??... After $855.00 in redemptions since January, full cupboards, a stockpile that didn't exist before January, and not one cent extra paid for groceries compared to before I shopped there, the answer is no.
    I will continue to love that store... maybe because I don't have much other choice... (lol!)

EDIT: Sorry Miabee for re-stating what you wrote... we must have been typing at the same time! Haha!
    Last edited by Valerey; Mon, Jun 11th, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
    ssbean, Miabee and Anna Michele like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm not sure I'll be spending less because I had already decreased my spending to just enough bonus points days to do one redemption per year. I stopped spending more than that when they made changes to the Plus Member program and I know longer saw any useful benefits associated with it.
    I wasn't effected by the claw back because I didn't see enough good sales on the 26th to justify shopping that day. But I'm really uncomfortable with the way they handled this one. Taking the points back after they were given was mean-spirited and unprofessional.
    I think SDM has to be very careful moving forward about not lowering the value of their Optimum program, because they will lose customers. I've stopped collecting Airmiles after the upteenth time they lowered the value of their points while increasing the amount a collector had to spend to get them.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    I do not have the option of stacking, double coupon days, etc, etc. as many do in SOuthern Ontario.
    I *wish* Southern Ontario had the privilege of stacking, double coupon days, etc., etc.!! I've never heard of such a thing. You must be thinking of our neighbours out west.

Concerning SDM, I don't think I'll be shopping there any less than usual. I only buy what I can use and at a reasonable price. True, sometimes the prices are better or match WM (which almost never has the lowest price where I am!) but I tend to gravitate towards the better sales. When there was a better credit card offered, I happily cancelled my SDM Visa. When there are lower prices, I'll shop elsewhere rather than wait for a redemption day. I only ever redeem once a year because I don't accumulate points quickly. Bonus points have never held any extra weight with me, especially since they decreased the point values once or twice now. 5000 bonus points today do not necessarily mean they'll be worth the same amount on their redemption days if they decide to increase their redemption level before I redeem.

This new clawback thing is a bit like killing the goose that laid the golden eggs. They may find that it's only a small amount of people compared to how many got upset over the last time they decreased the point values, but it seems like their most loyal customers are the ones that buy with the points in mind. They should probably offer to refund any purchase that had bonus points attached recently to try and make some people happy. Lately, I've seen large tags that say bonus points can't be combined with other offers on Neutrogena/Aveeno/Pantene, but haven't on the little red stickers that often go on the shelves. Those ones, I think it would be fair to let the customers keep. If not, SDM is acting a bit like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.
    anisa, abbasgirl, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

thanks for the input.

i'm not trying to spur some wild debate, i'm just honestly interested in ppl's opinions.

i suppose SDM will have a dip in sales, and that it may be a permanent one in the long run.

at this point it seems they don't really care, and have set their sights onmaking uber profits with all the banking services they are involved in.

some of us are bound to get squashed in the process. not a nice feeling ;p
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I quit shopping as much just because I'm always terrified of my points disappearing, my family has done the same. In a few cases the points were taken from someone completely unrelated to SC, so it could happen to anyone.

Ironically enough, I end up shopping there almost every day. I have to mail stuff at my local shoppers every single day, and I have to walk through the food dept. to get to the post office. I have found $1 Smart Bread, $1 Maple Leaf Bacon, $0.50 Chocolate Milk so far, which I doubt SDM is making much money off of lol but since my usual transactions used to always be $50-$100 even with coupons, they are now $5 excluding my weekly lottery ticket.

The only time I will shop there and spend more then $5, is if they have Pop, Milk, Bread, Eggs and a few other grocery items on sale during 20x the points. I wouldn't chance the $10 GC because that eventually expires. Other then that, most of my business has been re directed to Costco again. Every month Natrel Milk is $3.99, just got 4kg of sugar for $3.49 (sale I think) Reg. 3.99. It was funny, when they had bonus redemption this weekend, they were trying to get me to redeem "Nope sorry, nothing good on sale and everything is cheaper everywhere else" so why not save the points for something that never goes on sale :D Or stock up for christmas in hopes that no one will steal my points prior to then.
    walkonby and Anna Michele like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I will just shop differently however I am really pissed that they didn't warn anyone, after a warning then delete.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I only started with the Optimum card last year and did my first redemption. At first, because I was buying diapers, formula, etc. it was easy to do a 20X event often. However, now that I don't need any more formula since DS is on milk and I have enough diapers from the SDM clearance, I find that I don't shop there as much since their prices are not super. That being said, if I really need something and it is on sale and I have a coupon for it, then sure, I would shop there.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

The fact this entire section is MUCH MUCH quieter since December shows how much less people are shopping there.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Very true, Sarajk. I used to check the SDM section all the time....not so much any more, though.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

I will probablly just go to check the CLERANCE SECTION which they happend to have a good one, but I'm really upsad that they took points without any NOTICE, even worst, is that on the last 20x pints even the STORE and FLYER advertised the 10x on some products and now they said is not valid "BS" .. and then they take the points away .. and FYI "if those products didn't have the 10x I WOULDN'T have buy them" now I feel that I was lied about and after spending my money there to get those "extra points" they took it away .. so YES I WILL DEFENETLY reduce my spending there.
    tobiwobi and Anna Michele like this.
    Happy Shopping !!

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

I will continue the same for me...
    This have nothing to do with bonus points, but this is because I'm in QC and our milk price is fixed by law.

So I buy my milk at SDM on 20x day...
    In QC I have no other way to get more for my milk (because of law price on milk), so SDM or an other store is the same for milk price, better to buy milk at SDM and rack the optimum point and get my other stuff for free (overpriced or not because this alloid me to have an oop of 0.00$ on toothpaste, toothbrush, tp, soap, deo, coffee, cheese, egg, butter, etc).

if one day they decided to didn't give points for milk, I will stop to shop there.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

While I didnt lose any points on the claw back... ( I havent shopped at SDM in ages, because we dont need anything!) but Im still using my SDM mastercard ( saving points for baby stuff when the time comes) ....but will not me using it as much.... I just applied for the bmo airmiles credit card, and will be using that instead!
    carlyincanada likes this.
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information