User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: okay i'm fed up!! What do you pay?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Here in SK, our natural gas is a monopoly with a provincial crown corporation - we pay $96 equalized right now. August is our settle-up month, and usually we get a credit.
    I don't know our sq. ft. - at least 1200; it's a three bedroom duplex from the '70s.

For power, it's a city monopoly - rates are going higher and higher. On average lately, it's been about $80 for electricity.

So total, we're getting close to $200. Of course it would be more through the winter if the gas weren't on equalized payments. We're in central SK, so are dealing with the -40s in the winter....
    Oh, and no a/c in the summer; what we use power for is pretty standard.
    Not using air conditioning in Oshawa either. By choice. We will use the mall a/c and come back when it's cool in the evening.

Gas $110 per month
    Electricity $60 per month (but we really try to conserve to get this bill)

They are killing us on property taxes -- that's where the money's going for big bills.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, if you add the total cost of Property tax, utilities, & interest paid on the mortgage.... sometimes I feel it isn't worth owning a house..
    (apart from the appreciation, which has already happened)

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I live in a tiny 2 bedroom 650 sf apartment. I don't pay energy but my power is $110 a month with saskpower. When i lived in MB I had a 1200 sf 2 story house and our power was about $70 a month. I think we are getting one pulled over on us, and all the hall lights, and laundry machines are being added to the tenants bills.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TudorChick View Post
    for natural gas and power?

just got a new bill,supposed to be on this new super saver plan with direct energy and they said it would take 3 months to take effect...well it's been 5 months since i switched and my bills are more...

my last bill for power and gas was $256..this is insane!!! i knew i never should have switched to direct energy...this guy got me when i was half asleep,he was at my door saying i would save 5% on my bill...i should never have signed this thing...now im stuck for 3 years...!!!!! grrr....

how much do you pay,who are you with? and how do i get OUT!!!
    Direct Energy are scam artists. See the link below.

http://www.ellenroseman.com/?p=120

Never ever go with third party energy re sellers , always go with the original utility company in your province and not these door to door energy re-sellers and marketers who lock you up in ridiculous and overpriced contracts..these guys are ALWAYS more expensive than your original utility company in your province. These door to door guys will use high pressure sales tactics and pressurize you to sign contracts with them. They will lies to you about the savings on your bill and promise you the moon, more often than not your bill will be 1.5 to 2 times after you sign up with them. They use extremely deceptive and unethical practices to get you to sign with them.

For example in Onatario , ENBRIDGE is the original utility company which provides natural gas for heating ..so go with them in ON , they are much cheaper than all these other energy re sellers and re marketers like Direct Energy , Universal Energy etc.

Always go with the original utility company in your province for heating and electricity and NEVER with these retailers or re sellers.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Fri, Jun 15th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    DaveP, Shwa Girl, i_forget and 1 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

i may be going mad here but i make these posts to get opinions.but i see about 50 or so views,3 responses....i try to talk to people in here besides coming and being apart of a pool,but i think i am done on the social end of this site....just stick to the pools and tv show talk..it sucks when you make a thread and can see so many views and nothing....
    Some people might be checking from their phones or work also and don't have access to their bills. After awhile, it becomes habit to just pay it and not look at the numbers. Some people also may be renters and it's included in their rent so they would have no idea. It's not like people don't want to participate. Some of us really have "no data".

We're with the city for hydro and Enbridge for gas. Last month it was $82 for both. The property prices and taxes are insane here though, so you may be saving on those!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

ON has a very good provincial regulator whic monitors and regulates all these third party retailers and re sellers and clearly shows you the difference between who is your local original utility company and who these re sellers or retailers are.

http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/Consumers

Its calculator shows you how much you will be paying if you buy from these resellers aka retailers as opposed to the original utility company.
    heatherbassoon likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

alot depends on how you live.
    I work from home. I have a family of 5, 3 being adults.
    we have laptops on alot.

however we do not use the dishwasher, the dryer gets used infrequently.
    I do keep it at 23 in the winter, and 21 in the summer, cooler at night.
    I have insulated curtains everywhere.
    I have a 4 bedroom, with orginal windows.

electric- avg- 130 per month
    ugas- 70 per month.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Use Energy Shop , to compare your natural gas ( heating ) and hydro ( electricity ) prices with various retailers.

http://www.energyshop.com/
    walkonby likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Direct Energy are scam artists. See the link below.

http://www.ellenroseman.com/?p=120

Never ever go with third party energy re sellers , always go with the original utility company in your province and not these door to door energy re-sellers and marketers who lock you up in ridiculous and overpriced contracts..these guys are ALWAYS more expensive than your original utility company in your province. These door to door guys will use high pressure sales tactics and pressurize you to sign contracts with them. They will lies to you about the savings on your bill and promise you the moon, more often than not your bill will be 1.5 to 2 times after you sign up with them. They use extremely deceptive and unethical practices to get you to sign with them.

For example in Onatario , ENBRIDGE is the original utility company which provides natural gas for heating ..so go with them in ON , they are much cheaper than all these other energy re sellers and re marketers like Direct Energy , Universal Energy etc.

Always go with the original utility company in your province for heating and electricity and NEVER with these retailers or re sellers.
    ...totally agree here...I have a friend (widow) who was conned into signing and is paying over THREE times the amount for her gas than we are - and she is locked in for five years! My rule here is - if I need something, I'll go after it myself....and will NEVER purchase or sign anything at the doorstep!

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Sometimes I view a thread and have nothing to contribute, and I sure don't want to be obligated to comment on every thread I read, especially since I may not know what the thread is really about until I read the first post. My husband usually pays the hydro/gas bill, and since we moved last year, we haven't been put on a budget yet for this house. I'm not sure what our average bill is. As a result, I'm not able to tell you much.
    Natalka and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

In Sask electricity is just under 11 cents / KW and gas is at cost which is just over 7 cent / m3 (but they are able to make up some of the costs of not charging for gas with a "delivery" charge).

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/savings/wIhTlx6/]

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post

however we do not use the dishwasher, the dryer gets used infrequently.
    I forgot about the dryer. They use a lot of energy. We hang to dry, year round.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i get the feeling i got sucked into a long contract.i called them ands aid why am i on a 3 year plan? they told me i agreed to it.so now i am stuck for awhile.i do know my gas supplier but have no idea who my power supplier is,i will be making some calls on monday,its just frustrating when you think you are getting a deal and end up paying more and sign a contract...thanks for your answers,i am paying around the area most people i know but there has to be a cheaper alternative

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

i get the feeling i got sucked into a long contract.i called them ands aid why am i on a 3 year plan? they told me i agreed to it.so now i am stuck for awhile.i do know my gas supplier but have no idea who my power supplier is,i will be making some calls on monday,its just frustrating when you think you are getting a deal and end up paying more and sign a contract...thanks for your answers,i am paying around the area most people i know but there has to be a cheaper alternative

I made this mistake once too and I will never fall for it again. This is what I did to get out of my contract as it was more money too. I told them I was moving to China or Japan(can't remember for sure) as they don't supply there. I then had my bill put under my mother's name and I pay it. There was no set up fee as she already had an account with them. I felt kind of guilty but I don't enjoy being ripped off. Good luck.
    walkonby, Shwa Girl and i_forget like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I`m not with any resellers ...... hydro with water ..total bill.......$200/m on average, someone is always home and using ..... heat I can supplement if need be, and in 1 brutal month I ran my wood insert so much the gas co. came and replaced the meter, saying it was regular maintenance...lol. Right now gas is under $40/m but in winter it`ll easily double, but has rarely been triple digits. If my wood isn`t free I`ll rely on the furnace ... either way I pay.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information