User Tag List

Page 156 of 239 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 206 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 3571
Like Tree4016Likes

Thread: All Purpose Politics and News Thread

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    uh oh Natalka, did you just compliment something Trudeau did?

just kidding ya.....I am all immersed right now in the most recent breaking News about Trump/Russia ....it is very juicy!!
    Hey, I give credit when it is due - though it's not often with him, obviously.

For example, him going on a campaign-style tour of the country - what the heck for? He's not due for electioneering yet. Or could it be selfie withdrawal?

He needs to find his desk on the Hill and get some work done before Parliament reconvenes at the end of the month.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    For example, him going on a campaign-style tour of the country - what the heck for?
    To avoid the "elitist" DAVOS summit, and the Trump inauguration IMO...selfies from either event would not help his image here. Also, a retreat with the new cabinet to prepare for Trump's takeover of power.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Turns out that one must register with local MPs to attend those town halls of Trudeau's - so if he's politicking, we taxpayers should not be paying for this trip.
    seylz_gurl likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

First time a sitting Prime Minister to be investigated by the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) -- Canada's ethics commissioner said Monday she is launching an investigation into Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's recent family holiday at the Aga Khan's private island in the Bahamas.
    Ethics commissioner Mary Dawson said Trudeau may have violated the federal ethics code during his holiday with the Aga Khan, a family friend, philanthropist and hereditary spiritual leader to the world's approximately 15 million Ismaili Muslims. It's the first time the ethics commissioner has opted to investigate the actions of a sitting prime minister.

Dawson said she is looking into both Trudeau's stay at the island and his use of the Aga Khan's private helicopter to get there.
    The vacation included Trudeau, his family, Liberal lawmaker Seamus O'Regan and Liberal party president Anna Gainey, all of whom took part in the chopper flight from Nassau to get to the secluded island.
    Both the Conflict of Interest Act and Trudeau's own ethics guidelines bar the use of sponsored travel in private aircraft, allowing it only for exceptional circumstances.
    The guidelines also prohibit a minister or any member of their family from accepting gifts or "advantages" that could reasonably be seen as influencing government decisions. The only exception is if the person providing the gift is a friend.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ethics...172839055.html

The maximum sanction that Dawson may levy for a violation of the Act is $500 per violation

The commissioner’s office and the current Conflict of Interest Act were creations of the Harper government in 2007. While Harper was accused by his opponents several times of unethical behaviour, he was neither the subject of any investigation nor any finding of any violation of the act during his time in office.

The investigation, though, may also put a spotlight, on the relationship between Dawson and Trudeau.
    Dawson’s seven-year-term of office ended in early January but Trudeau extended it for an additional six months while he determines who ought to get the next permanent seven-year appointment or whether he should extend Dawson’s contract again.
    Duff Conacher, the founder of Democracy Watch, said that puts Dawson in a conflict-of-interest herself, investigating the very public office holder who has the power to extend her appointment or approve her re-appointment in six months.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...f-ethics-probe
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Good commentary on this subject, and more info

Justin Trudeau’s vacation with the Aga Khan proves the details matter

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...details-matter

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    The only exception is if the person providing the gift is a friend.
    The Aga Khan was a pall-bearer at Trudeau Sr.'s funeral, so there is a long-term family friendship there.

I think it is important that the government puts a strong emphasis on ethics though: I think the US is going to be having the same struggle with Trump as he has so many "friends".

edit: However Trudeau clears this up...could be an opportunity to be an example to the US.
    Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 16th, 2017 at 04:37 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    The Aga Khan was a pall-bearer at Trudeau Sr.'s funeral, so there is a long-term family friendship there.

I think it is important that the government puts a strong emphasis on ethics though: I think the US is going to be having the same struggle with Trump as he has so many "friends".

edit: However Trudeau clears this up...could be an opportunity to be an example to the US.
    It goes beyond 'friends' when millions of government money goes to fund the Aga Khan foundation. Trudeau should have known to have not taken a vacation from someone whose organization lobbies the government for money.

Trudeau needs to learn the importance of the phrase "to avoid even the appearance of impropriety."

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hayley Wickenheiser honoured prior to Oilers, Flames game

Hayley Wickenheiser, who led Canada to four Winter Olympic gold medals and a silver during her distinguished career, was honoured during a special pre-game ceremony prior to puck drop between the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Place on Saturday.

The 38-year-old from Shaunavon, Sask., who announced her retirement from hockey on Friday, has lived in Calgary since she was 12 but has been a life-long Oilers fan, making the game between the two Alberta-based rivals the ideal place for a tribute in her eyes.
    "I want to thank the Oilers organization for allowing me this moment to say goodbye to Canadians as a hockey player," she said. "I grew up idolizing the Oilers and it seems fitting that I would say goodbye here — at an Edmonton versus Calgary game — representing the two cities that have given so much to my career."

Wickenheiser, who also played men's hockey in Europe during her 23-year career, was also joined on the ice by several young female hockey players, who she said she was glad to pass the torch to.
    "To all the girls behind me, this is the beginning of your story," she said. "The only thing I can ask is that you leave the game in a better place than where you found it."
    "To the fans, thank you for the support of the women's national team and the women's game. To everybody across Canada, thanks for cheering for us. It was the greatest honour of my life to play for Canada. I'll never forget it."
    Named MVP of the 2002 and 2006 Olympic women's hockey tournaments, Wickenheiser recorded 379 career points for Canada — 168 goals and 211 assists in 276 games.
    In addition to winning five medals for Canada in hockey, Wickenheiser also played for the Canadian softball team at the 2000 Summer Olympics.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ames-1.3936568
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Turkish cargo plane crashes, kills dozens

A Turkish cargo plane crashed Monday in a residential area just outside the main airport in Kyrgyzstan, destroying half of a village and killing at least 37 people in the plane and on the ground, the Emergency Situations Ministry said. The Turkish Boeing 747 crashed just outside the Manas airport, south of the capital Bishkek, killing people in the residential area adjacent to the airport as well as those on the plane.

The bodies of 15 victims, including five children, all of them Kyrgyz citizens, had been identified by Monday evening, the Kyrgyz government said on its website.

Another 15 people, including six children, were hospitalized in the disaster, according to the health ministry.

Kyrgyz Emergency Situations Minister Kubatbek Boronov said 23 out of the 43 houses in the village had been destroyed. Several dozen homes were near the fence surrounding the runway.
    The cause of the crash was not immediately clear. Boronov told reporters that it was foggy at Manas when the plane came down but weather conditions were not critical. The nation’s deputy prime minister was quoted as saying the crash was the result of human error.
    “According to preliminary information, the plane crashed due to a pilot error,” deputy prime minister Muhammetkaly Abulgaziev said on national television, according to French news agency AFP.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

U.S. President Donald Trump takes the oath of office.

His speech:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/20/trans...on-speech.html
    Newfiescreech and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I don't like the outfit First Lady Trump is wearing..The neck-line is too severe for her and the colour makes her look washed out.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

huh. I thought she looked very nice.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I liked her outfit, Ralph Lauren. But, gee, doing all those concrete steps in those high heels, yikes!

Her gown for last night's ball was so beautiful.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    huh. I thought she looked very nice.
    I liked it too
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I thought First Lady trump was trying too hard to be the new Jackie Kennedy Onassis..

On the walk to the White House , she kept having to smooth her skirt. It looked uncomfortable to me..

Any-one have a link to her dresses for the balls...i'm getting interrupted searches here..

Page 156 of 239 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 206 ... LastLast

Thread Information