User Tag List

Page 56 of 93 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Like Tree1963Likes

Thread: In Memorium

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    A remarkable young pitcher from the Miami Marlins, dead, along with 2 others in a boating accident off Miami. Jose Fernandez had just turned 24. RIP!
    I was watching the story of how he came to the USA and at just 15 did something very heroic!

http://nesn.com/2016/09/jose-fernand...ing-from-cuba/

Fernandez risked his life while heroically saving his mother from drowning. But incredibly, Fernandez admitted he didn’t know it was his mother when he jumped in the water to save her, meaning that at just 15 years old, he put his own life in peril to rescue someone who could have been a complete stranger.

( The full article has many more details )
    Last edited by walkonby; Sun, Sep 25th, 2016 at 05:37 PM.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It was a rough weekend for athletes. A member of the Calgary Stampeders, Mylan Hicks, was shot outside of a nightclub early Sunday morning. He died from his injuries.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...trail-shooting
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Oh, and he was only 23. RIP.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Arnold Palmer dies aged 87

Arnold Palmer, a seven-time major winner who brought golf to the masses and became the most beloved figure in the game, died Sunday, a source close to the family confirmed to Golfweek. He was 87.
    Reaction poured in from “Arnie’s Army” of admirers in the world of golf.
    “We loved him with a mythic American joy,” said Palmer biographer James Dodson. “He represented everything that is great about golf. The friendship, the fellowship, the laughter, the impossibility of golf, the sudden rapture moment that brings you back, a moment that you never forget, that’s Arnold Palmer in spades. He’s the defining figure in golf.”

No one did more to popularize the sport than Palmer. His dashing presence singlehandedly took golf out of the country clubs and into the mainstream. Quite simply, he made golf cool.
    “I used to hear cheers go up from the crowd around Palmer,” Lee Trevino said. “And I never knew whether he’d made a birdie or just hitched up his pants.”
    Golfweek subscriber Bob Conn of Guilford, Conn., in a letter to the editor, captured the loyalty and devotion that the public felt for Palmer.
    Newfiescreech and redhdlois like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

What a sad, sad day for the sports world..........RIP

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

RIP to The King - he was the first to really help publicize golf and widen its appeal

photo from April this year

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    ^ Oh, and he was only 23. RIP.
    turned 24 end of July.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Vic Viner, 99, survivor of Dunkirk evacuation dies.

One of the last remaining survivors of the Royal Navy's Dunkirk rescue operation has died aged 99.
    Vic Viner, who spent six days and nights on the beaches during the Second World War rescue mission in 1940, died on Thursday, his family said.
    The 99-year-old, who served with the Navy between 1933 and 1947, was a 'beach master' during the evacuations and marshalled troops off the sand and onto the little ships.

Newfiescreech and redhdlois like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Studio Ghibli's Michiyo Yasuda dies aged 77

Michiyo Yasuda, the artist who coloured some of Studio Ghibli's greatest films, has died at the age of 77.
    She worked with iconic animator Hayao Miyazaki on 13 animated productions including My Neighbour Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle.
    Her work helped Spirited Away win best animated feature at the 2003 Oscars.
    She retired in 2008 but returned to work with Studio Ghibli on 2013's historical drama, The Wind Rises.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Bobby Vee: 1960s pop singer dies aged 73

Vee released more than 25 albums during his career, retiring in 2011 after being diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease.

Vee's big break came about in 1959 at the age of 15 when he filled in for Buddy Holly after the singer's death in a plane crash.
    Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper were also killed in the accident in Iowa, along with the pilot, Roger Peterson.
    A call went out for local acts to replace Holly at his scheduled show at the Moorhead National Guard Armory. Vee and his band, which had only formed two weeks previously, volunteered

Vee, born Robert Velline, also gave a young Bob Dylan his start.
    Dylan played briefly with Vee's band and he was the one who suggested Velline change his last name to Vee.

Bobby Vee and the Shadows were signed in autumn 1959 and Vee had his first hit in the Billboard charts in 1960 with Devil or Angel.
    A string of hits followed, including The Night Has a Thousand Eyes, Come Back When You Grow Up, Please Don't Ask about Barbara and Punish Her.

Vee and his wife Karen were married for more than 50 years and had four children. She died of kidney failure in 2015, aged 71.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Canadian comedian, and former member of the Royal Canadian Air Farce,
    Dave Broadfoot has died at age 90.

Sgt. Renfrew in his lonely log cabin on the 14th floor of Mountie headquarters with his incredible dog Cuddles!

Broadfoot was best known for his time on Air Farce, the long-running comedy show on CBC. Starting in 1973, he appeared on radio and television versions of the show for 15 years in the classic lineup of the show alongside cast members Roger Abbott, Don Ferguson, Luba Goy and John Morgan.

Among Broadfoot's best-known characters were the Honourable Member for Kicking Horse Pass, Sgt. Renfrew of the RCMP and Big Bobby Clobber, a hockey player who had received too many pucks to the head.

Much more info on him -
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...arce-1.3832170
    Last edited by Natalka; Wed, Nov 2nd, 2016 at 04:13 AM.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Leonard Cohen dies aged 82

Canadian singer Leonard Cohen has died aged 82, according to a statement on his official Facebook page.
    "It is with profound sorrow we report that legendary poet, songwriter and artist, Leonard Cohen has passed away," the announcement said.
    "We have lost one of music's most revered and prolific visionaries."
    There were no details about the cause of Mr Cohen's death. A memorial will take place in Los Angeles at a later date, the announcement said.
    The Montreal-born singer's hits included Suzanne and I'm Your Man and he released his 14th album, You Want It Darker, just last month.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, Nov 10th, 2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: eta. added info.
    Newfiescreech and Mia001 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

RIP Mr. Cohen

my fave song of his

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, I had such a crush on him when I was a little girl!

Robert Vaughn, Suave Star of TV's 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,' Dies at 83

Robert Vaughn, the urbane actor who starred as the American spy Napoleon Solo on the slick 1960s NBC series The Man From U.N.C.L.E., died Friday.

Vaughn, who received an Oscar nomination for playing Paul Newman’s hard-drinking buddy Chet in the 1959 drama The Young Philadelphians, died of acute leukemia in a hospital on the East Coast, his manager Matthew Sullivan told The Hollywood Reporter. He had been undergoing treatment for his illness in New York and Connecticut.

Vaughn's memorable performances also included turns as one of the seven gunmen in The Magnificent Seven (1960), as a steely senator in Bullitt (1968) — those two opposite Steve McQueen — as an addled studio chief in Blake Edwards’ S.O.B. (1981) and as a corporate villain in Superman III (1983).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...n-uncle-859991
    Newfiescreech, Mia001 and JackTOC like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Leonard Cohen Explains “Stages Of A Man’s Allure To Women” – Sydney, Dec 2, 2013

"Y’know I was talking with some of the guys . . . some of the guys in the band are kind of over the hill. And they were talking about the various stages that a man goes through in relation to his allure to the opposite sex. It was not a scientific evaluation . . . just something that arose over a cup of coffee.
    It went something like this: You start off irresistible. And, then you become resistible. And then you become transparent – not exactly invisible but as if you are seen through old plastic. Then you actually do become invisible. And then — and this is the most amazing transformation — you become repulsive. But that’s not the end of the story. After repulsive then you become cute – and that’s where I am."

This is his last interview “I’ve got some work to do. Take care of business. I am ready to die,” the 82-year-old said in a New Yorker profile. “I hope it’s not too uncomfortable. That’s about it for me.”
    This is his last interviewhttp://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...inal-interview

R.I.P. Leonard Cohen.
    "I'll stand before the Lord of Song
    With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah."

favorite of his songs Suzanne and Anthem
    Last edited by SharonMe; Sat, Nov 12th, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
    Newfiescreech and Natalka like this.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Page 56 of 93 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast

Thread Information