User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Cyclists who don't stop at red lights, and nearly kill pedestrians

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    I find some Cyclists in downtown hamilton to be INSANE. Not only do they not signal and veer across 4 lanes of traffic just assuming the cars are going to stop, but they have no consideration for the lights and stop signs. They want us to respect them and treat them like any vehicle on the road, but then they don't obey the traffic laws!
    And that's exactly it! I think that if cyclists want to be given the same rights to the road as motorized vehicles have, then they also need to obey those same traffic laws (and the consequences for breaking them!) Of course there are those who do, but it's the ones that don't who really make me mad. I have nearly hit a few cyclists (while in my car), according to the "law" it would have been MY fault, even though they were the ones who neglected to obey the STOP sign.
    torontogal12 likes this.

>>>Tradelist & Wishlist<<<
    |MILK|CHICKEN|ARCTIC GARDENS|CHAPMANS|EUROPES BEST|SYB PINS|OJ|

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Today as a mother- son duo ran a red light they laughed and yelled out "we're breaking the law!!" Where are cops when you need them. Or Darwin for that matter
    roseofblack25 and daynabas like this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^I prefer Darwin...let nature run it's course with people like that...
    Patty Smyth and torontogal12 like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I grew up in a small town, so it really wasn't dangerous to ride on the road. If we ever needed to ride on the side walk, my parents would make us get off and walk our bikes.

I haven't noticed the red light cyclists here in London (although I was on a bus once when a cyclist decided to cut across 2 lanes to turn in front of the bus). What I despise so much are people who ride on the sidewalks.

I understand the streets aren't really made for cyclists, but there are WAY too many pedestrians for people to be riding on the sidewalk. I've actually seen someone get off the bus and get smucked by a cyclist going by on the sidewalk. I've nearly stepped out in front of bicycles coming up behind me on the sidewalk (admittedly I'm usually wearing headphones, but I keep my music down so that I can hear what's going on around me, but I can't hear bicycles). And people ride the electric bikes on the sidewalks too!

My aunt who lives in the GTA actually had her dog get run over by a cyclist. He was riding his bike on the sidewalk, and there had a been a fence blocking their view of each other. When my aunt reached the corner he couldn't stop and went right over her dog. Luckily the dog was okay, although horribly frightened.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Poor dog and poor people getting hit by these people who think the rules don't apply to them. Getting a thrill from "breaking the law" or saving 5 seconds isn't worth hurting someone. Douches!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    I grew up in a small town, so it really wasn't dangerous to ride on the road. If we ever needed to ride on the side walk, my parents would make us get off and walk our bikes.

I haven't noticed the red light cyclists here in London (although I was on a bus once when a cyclist decided to cut across 2 lanes to turn in front of the bus). What I despise so much are people who ride on the sidewalks.

I understand the streets aren't really made for cyclists, but there are WAY too many pedestrians for people to be riding on the sidewalk. I've actually seen someone get off the bus and get smucked by a cyclist going by on the sidewalk. I've nearly stepped out in front of bicycles coming up behind me on the sidewalk (admittedly I'm usually wearing headphones, but I keep my music down so that I can hear what's going on around me, but I can't hear bicycles). And people ride the electric bikes on the sidewalks too!

My aunt who lives in the GTA actually had her dog get run over by a cyclist. He was riding his bike on the sidewalk, and there had a been a fence blocking their view of each other. When my aunt reached the corner he couldn't stop and went right over her dog. Luckily the dog was okay, although horribly frightened.
    julesie-pie likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm surprised there aren't more cyclist-pedestrian-vehicle mishaps. e.g. I'm driving along and seeing someone on the street without a helmet and I'm thinking 'what are you going to do?' then they zoom across an intersection without even looking. Think you have the right of way?? is that belief worth being maimed for life??
    happy_me24, julesie-pie and Tbites like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

((bumping because I need to rant and there's no point of me creating a new thread)

In my city, police are (apparently) starting to crack on down on cyclists running reds downtown. The other problem is that cyclists don't stop at stop signs. People probably don't know this, but cyclists have to obey the same rules as cars. They are also supposed to walk their bikes across crosswalks, but many (everyone I've come across) don't. The cops are cracking down on that too (again, apparently). I realize that a lot of accidents are caused by cars, and that a 5000 pound car will always win against a bike, but people need to be more proactive on keeping themselves safe. This certainly includes stopping at stop signs and reds!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

I live in a rural part of Hamilton and the cyclist are 99% aholes. Not only do they not stop at stop signs, they ride in packs and if you try to pass slowly and give them a full lane they give you the finger, ride over the center line so they take up both lanes. If I do manage to get around them and I have come to a complete stop at a stop sign, they ride out around me in the oncoming lane without stopping, then rush throught the intersection so they can be in front of me again once I continue on. If cyclists want drivers to share the road, cyclists need to OBEY the rules of the road. A stop sign is a stop sign for everyone, not just cars. They look and just keep riding, Many, many times I have had to slam on my brakes because I have the right of way, no stop for me at the intersection but the cyclist is too lazy to stop at the stop sign and rides right through. Heaven forbid they have to stop and take thier foot out of the shoe clip thing. Luckily this year they didn't do the big good friday bike race in our area, got moved to Ancaster. (I feel sorry for those people) There are a few cycllists in the are that ride single file, STOP at stop signs, signal turns, but these are obviously not the cycle club people.
    vesper likes this.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    337 (99%)

I hate cyclist that drive down the middle of the road (even when there is a bike lane) & don't move over when there is a car (or several) behind them.
    xox2010 likes this.
    RRLF $1 Life Choice, Pampers & Huggies Diapers, Pampers GTG codes

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My favourite are the idiots who ride bikes on sidewalks and will ring there little bell at people walking like we should move! Yeah I will always play deaf because your a$$ should not be on the sidewalk if you are riding the bike...I also almost got sideswiped the other day by two idiots on a moped driving it ON THE SIDEWALK! SMDH...
    xox2010 likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by julesie-pie View Post
    I hate cyclist that drive down the middle of the road (even when there is a bike lane) & don't move over when there is a car (or several) behind them.
    Had this happen to me the other day, the cyclist was driving in the middle of the road(even though there was a bike lane wide enough that a car could fit on right beside him), so I beeped hoping that he'd get the picture to move. Nope, he just started peddling SLOWER and then he starts signalling to turn left, moves over to the left to make the turn, I pass him, take my speed up to 30(from the 5 I was doing earlier) and then he decides not to make the turn, comes from my left in my blind spot, cuts me off and gives me the finger because I almost smoked him.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Sadly, you can't have it both ways. If you want cyclists to stop at red lights and act the same as a motor vehicle then how can you get upset when they take up a lane, as a car would?

Yes, I am a red light and stop sign obeying cyclist. I have also been hit (very badly) by a guy in a car who chose to talk on his phone instead of watching the road. The same guy cut me off two street previous because he wasn't paying attention.

There are bad drivers and bad cyclist.

yes, riding on the pavement is a huge pet peeve and gives those of us who do obey the laws a bad name, but please don't lump us all together in the "I hate cyclists" category
    Mia001, xox2010, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

The cyclists in and around McMaster University are pretty bad. The police keep setting up traps to catch those who don't stop at stop signs among other violations. For the record, if a cyclist does not stop at a stop sign, they will be given a ticket (same $ as a car) and they will also cost them demerit points on their driver's license. We get the pack cyclists near out house too; they are so frustrating to deal with. At least I am teaching my kids how to ride properly; helmets, bells, hand signals. In our neighbourhood there is a group of 7 or 8 boys who play and ride their bikes, only one of them ever wears a helmet
    xox2010 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giddymonkey View Post
    At least I am teaching my kids how to ride properly; helmets, bells, hand signals. In our neighbourhood there is a group of 7 or 8 boys who play and ride their bikes, only one of them ever wears a helmet
    Good for you for teaching your kids to ride responsibly. Thank you!

Not wearing a helmet drives me crazy! I see parents out cycling with their kids and the kids have a helmet but not the parents. Head injuries don't have an age limit.

Our neighbours have young kids and they are screaming up and down the street without a helmet. What the heck are the parents thinking not making them wear a helmet?

Yes, I'm exceptionally passionate about it because without a helmet I wouldn't be here today. When I was hit by the car that helmet saved my life! I was in 3 pieces I hit the road so hard. I'll NEVER forget the doctor saying to me, you must have been wearing a helmet or you'd be dead.
    Mia001, xox2010 and Tbites like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I wish everyone complaining about cyclists would actually get on a bike and see what its like to ride in traffic....in and out of the bike lane. In fact, ride in that glorious bike lane for a few weeks and then determine what kinds of repairs your bike needs.

And try sweating your arse off exerting physical energy to move yourself from point A to point B and see what its like to have people sitting in their upholstered seats in cozy comfy cars with a/c riding your tail and then honking at you. Oh joy, lemme tell ya.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information