User Tag List

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: So Disappointed

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Maybe if we got Gail Vaz-Oxlade to do budgeting with High School students it would eliminate some of the issues beforehand.

I know if Gail came to me, she would want us to cut out our internet/phone/cable, and maybe get rid of our three cats and move into a cheaper apartment. We both work but stuggle with finances (our bills are paid each month but there is very little left over).

I really think budgeting is an issue for many people within Canada, both on support and working full time. We need to learn budgeting in High School.
    Budget planning is taught to every British Columbia student in the "Planning" courses that are required for high school graduation. Just an FYI....
    matrix82 and thriftygranny like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    My husband is required to have drug testing for work because of the high risk factor of his job. Everyone on his crew are at risk when he is operating. People with my husbands position in other companies have had their assistants get killed.... 2 alone this year. Therefore, drug testing is very important.
    I agree with Jenny on this one. If your job is "safety-sensitive" meaning there are serious risks to others if you were while impaired e.g. airline captain, school bus driver, ship captain (remember the Exxon Valdez!). This is where drug testing would be useful. However, drug testing employees is a fine line between ensuring safety and potential discrimination of individuals.

Here's some interesting reading. http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/pdf/poldrgalceng.pdf I'm assuming that it would take a lot of effort to bring a case before the CHRC albeit against your employer or the government.
    Last edited by firstimer1969; Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    Jenny people on welfare in Ontario recieve GST....

Really?? How the heck is that?? I think thats pretty unfair, they don't have to pay tax, but they get a tax rebate?? Thanks for the new thorn in my side!! We have never received a GST rebate ( or child tax for that matter ) despite paying in $60,000 yearly in taxes. Gosh..... gonna start calling the Government Robin Hood.... stealing from the rich to give to the poor!!!
    sharkie likes this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

You beat me to it!!! I was about to write that shelters allow street people to use their address to collect welfare. Even though they have no bills and don't have to buy food or clothes. Even residents of the shelters can collect welfare, its called PNA ( personal needs allowance ) although, I seem to feel that in a shelter where everything is provided ( toiletries, medications, food, clothing, lodging and even bus tokens ) are given to them, they don't really need a "personal allowance".

I believe shelter offerings vary from province to province and from shelter to shelter.

I would say, though, that I don't know anyone that doesn't need the human dignity of having even just a few dollars in their pocket.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

All those items are available for free at shelters.
    Actually they are not available at the church shelter I donate to.
    My main reason for my original post was to politely show another side of the social system and I feel like I am in some bizarre pissing match.I am quite confident my information was accurate and you are quite confident it's not.I am okay with that.Congratulations you are the winner of the first Annual social Assistance Pissing Match.
    glenglen, mcminsen, GoJays and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

jenny, definitely available in ON as long as they file their taxes
    ssbean and sharkie like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

GST is a sale tax, they pay GST too!

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    I believe shelter offerings vary from province to province and from shelter to shelter.

I would say, though, that I don't know anyone that doesn't need the human dignity of having even just a few dollars in their pocket.
    I happen to feel that dignity should be earned, not handed out.
    sharkie and barbiexxx like this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielmac View Post
    GST is a sale tax, they pay GST too!
    Yeah, of course they do..... when they are spending my money.
    sharkie likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by firstimer1969 View Post
    Here's some interesting reading. http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/pdf/poldrgalceng.pdf I'm assuming that it would take a lot of effort to bring a case before the CHRC albeit against your employer or the government.
    Its not all that hard to bring a case in front of Human Rights, I worked in HR for a time and they would call on behalf of pretty much every employee who was let go for far smaller reasons than drugs but there are instances that they are allowed and the job I did had a special legal disclaimer with it about drug testing, the reasons we understood it was being used for etc.
    With Best Buy, I imagine they are just using the same contract their US stores do
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    jenny, definitely available in ON as long as they file their taxes
    I have worked for Sheppard's of Good Hope a Men's Shelter is Nova Scotia and they got there GST as well as if they filed there taxes it came to the shelter. Same with OW came to the shelter as it was a permanent address. That shelter provided all personal necessities, as well as two meals a day along with sandwiches during the day.
    FallenPixels and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Copied from Wikipedia: Dignity is a term used in moral, ethical, and political discussions to signify that a being has an innate right to respect and ethical treatment.

Correct me if I'm wrong but going by this definition and your "feeling" no children should have an innate right to respect and ethical treatment?

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Yeah, of course they do..... when they are spending my money.
    Again, Individualism at its best. It's our money they are spending. To be honest, regardless of their situation, I'd prefer to have people on Social Assistance with clothes on then without.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

<comment removed> Personally, I value all persons until they do something heinous such as murder. Many people are not dealt a fair hand in life. It's very hard when someone has a disability, such as FASD or other invisible disability, which may affect how persons make decisions. We are a very rich country in comparison to most in the world. We can afford to have some compassion.
    Last edited by FallenPixels; Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
    glenglen, Natalka, GoJays and 8 others like this.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

We earn people's respect. Dignity is a basic human right
    mcminsen, GoJays, DaveP and 8 others like this.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information