User Tag List

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Love all your hard work! I used to can many years ago when I was a stay at home mom!! These pics have inspired me, maybe I will start doing it again! I got so excited by all the pics, I didn't realize the posts went as far back as 2012, so some of you will see I liked your pics!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Awesome start! One thing I noticed from your picture. I was told from a bernardin rep that you shouldn't use the regular mouth pint jars in the freezer because the can break due to the jar shape. Wide mouth pint jars are fine. I don't have any experience freezing that kind of jar myself, but that is what company rep said. Maybe eat that jar first to avoid potential problems. Just a thought. Looks delicious!
    Very true the recipe said to use straight sides! Darn. I left four small out to give as gifts. I'll have to go check the freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Beans/strawberries/blueberries/potatoes/pickles/sweet pickles/salsa. It never ends. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  104.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  102.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  95.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  84.5 KB

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Wholey YUMMY Peachy1!
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Jars are on sale this week at Walmart. $7.77 (May vary depending on your location.)
    http://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada...o-17/single/18

Lids for gem jars are on sale in calgary at coop stores. 4 for $10
    http://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada...to-18/single/3

Vinegar is at the best price right now at the dollarama stores. $2 for 4 L jugs.
    walkonby, ticul, dededi and 1 others like this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=peachy1;6668573]Beans/strawberries/blueberries/potatoes/pickles/sweet pickles/salsa. It never ends./QUOTE]

Peachy, I have a question for you about your canned cukes, yellow bean, and carrot medley. Is your brine just a regular dill vinegar brine or is it something a little different. I ask because I did not realize you could can these three vegetables varieties together. I have lots of cukes and carrots as well and was looking for something different to combine.

BTW, your canning is superb!
    Last edited by maggiespice; Sat, Aug 13th, 2016 at 10:36 PM.
    cheekysaver, ticul, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

[QUOTE=maggiespice;6668796]
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy1 View Post
    Beans/strawberries/blueberries/potatoes/pickles/sweet pickles/salsa. It never ends./QUOTE]

Peachy, I have a question for you about your canned cukes, yellow bean, and carrot medley. Is your brine just a regular dill vinegar brine or is it something a little different. I ask because I did not realize you could can these three vegetables varieties together. I have lots of cukes and carrots as well and was looking for something different to combine.

BTW, your canning is superb!
    Her canning is fantastic. With the cukes you can add in green beans or maybe peppers if it is a dill type of sour pickle. If it is sweet onion, peppers or cauliflower work too.
    maggiespice, ticul, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Tomorrow's canning will be, cherry jam. I found cherries on clearance 16lbs for $15. I have been pitting them by hand while I watch tv at night. I take the ballpoint out of a pen and the other end off as well and use the tube to pit them. It works really well. My nails are ruined from staining, but it is soooo WORTH IT!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

25 lbs of tomatoes down...25 more lbs tomorrow. Did stewed tomatoes as DH uses it for salsa. Doesn't like spice so works okay and cheaper than buying salsa. Didn't make as much as recipe said so that kind of sucked but got8 pints and 17 1/2 pints. Back is killing me. Early next week will make veggie soup for winter and pickled cauliflower for mom.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just finishing up 75 lbs of tomatoes. 14 pints, 54 1/2 pints of stews tomatoes, 14 L of veggie soup, 2 1/2 pints of left over corn. And one more batch of stewed tomatoes chopped and peeled and sitting in fridge to can tomorrow after day at beach. Exhausted! Kitchen is a disaster even though all the dishes are done.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

What a great thread! I had no idea this was here until Natalka told me (I posted a request for zucchini relish recipes on the Food & Recipes section today). Beautiful pictures you are all posting. I am going to enjoy browsing.
    ROMEO, scouponer, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

In the last week I canned the cherry jam, soooo yummy! Then I got a 20lb box of carrots for $10 so I used some and froze 10lbs of them...Then I got a case of corn for $10, it said 48 count but there was 56. I shucked, blanched, decobbed then froze it up. After eating some for dinner I have 12lbs of peaches and cream sweet corn in the freezer. Now I have to deal with the CASE of cucumbers I got for $1... ti time to can some pickles. It just never ends at this time of the year!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Can anyone tell me what the 'rules' are for buying secondhand jars? I know to look and feel for chips in the rim and of course look for any visible cracks, but are there any other things to watch for to ensure the jars are good quality and safe? Or how to tell if they're too old to be safe?

Of course I will only buy names I know are quality (Mason, Bernardin, Kerr to name a couple) but my mom is sure that there is a huge chance of older jars exploding. I would love some information to ease her fears.

Any tips on what to look for and what is a giveaway that the jars may be unsafe? If it matters, I was going to do traditional canning and pressure canning once I get more comfortable. I am lucky enough to have inherited an "All American" brand pressure canner from my late grandfather's estate.

If I've posted this here before, forgive me! I've been thinking about it for a long time and can't remember if I asked or not, and search is turning up nothing for me.

Thank you!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the 'rules' are for buying secondhand jars? I know to look and feel for chips in the rim and of course look for any visible cracks, but are there any other things to watch for to ensure the jars are good quality and safe? Or how to tell if they're too old to be safe?

Of course I will only buy names I know are quality (Mason, Bernardin, Kerr to name a couple) but my mom is sure that there is a huge chance of older jars exploding. I would love some information to ease her fears.

Any tips on what to look for and what is a giveaway that the jars may be unsafe? If it matters, I was going to do traditional canning and pressure canning once I get more comfortable. I am lucky enough to have inherited an "All American" brand pressure canner from my late grandfather's estate.

If I've posted this here before, forgive me! I've been thinking about it for a long time and can't remember if I asked or not, and search is turning up nothing for me.

Thank you!
    I have used 2nd hand jars purchased off if kijiji with no problems even in the pressure canner for 1 hr 25 minutes. Just make sure they are a newer style jar, not vintage jars with glass lids. I think you will be fine...but I am no expert. Congrats on all American canner so envious. You will love pressure canning can make so many things... Love all the meat I have canned, all of it has been delicious! Happy canning!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey Chantel, the All American canner is the best of the best! Hope that you get many good years out of it!

I was going to order one this weekend as well. It was the 21.5 liter. I decided against it once I read it should not be used on a glass cook for several reasons. I almost cried when I read that. Oh, well I guess I have to stick to my pickling instead.
    cheekysaver and dededi like this.

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast

Thread Information