User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: The Ikea Monkey - Superstar

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

very pleased with the judgement to keep the monkey in his sanctuary where he belongs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    toban likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    Oh My! all those little primates in close proximity...it will be a poo party!!!

but seriously....leave the little guy where he is.

it bugs me when I see people trying to humanize animals by treating them like kids.

poor little thing was probably sweating in that car with his fancy jacket on!
    At first I wanted him returned but after much thought I believe he is better with other primates and should stay where he is.

But I dress my dog up (sweaters, coats) lol he is like my child lol then again he is 8 pounds and like a stuffed toy and he looks utterly adorable in his winter coat!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    she said she would move somewhere that allows monkeys.

umm...what province allows them?
    and from what i can get from google...all of Ontario has a ban on them being owned as pets.

i agree...leave the monkey with his primate friends.
    and fifty bucks says that chick is going to change her mind about keeping the little guy. Probably the second after he flings poo at her!!!
    I think it was mentioned she had already tried to return it then she felt guilty and kept him this was before IKEA.She should quit obsessing over this monkey leave it where it is and concentrate on her human children.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

glad the little guy is being kept in the right place.
    Patty Smyth and Poirot like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The sanctuary is alleging Darwin's former owner abused it - filed court documents, but no details given on the source of the alleged abuse.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01...ef=mostpopular

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

awww

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't believe she abused him in the way that they are alleging. He looks perfectly comfortable with her in all of the videos.
    How would they know all this stuff that they say happened? I think they're just trying to make sure the monkey stays at the sanctuary. I do believe that's best for him. But they are going about this the wrong way.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Darwin, the rapscallion monkey who became an internet phenom after running amok at a Toronto Ikea last year, learned on Friday that he will remain at the Ontario animal sanctuary where he currently resides.

More accurately, the macaque's "human mother" Yasmin Nakhuda learned his fate. Because Darwin, as a monkey, is likely too focused on being a monkey to comprehend exactly what was at stake.

Ontario Superior Court Judge Mary Vallee ruled against returning him to the family who raised him, fed him and dressed him in darling costumes before he got free outside the furniture store and made international headlines.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...142758623.html

Justice Mary Vallee ruled Friday the monkey is a wild animal and not a domestic pet. This was a key legal point in the case, as the law deems the owner of a wild animal as the party that possess it.

The judge rejected Nakhuda's argument that Toronto animal services staff duped her and acted illegally by seizing Darwin, a Japanese snow macaque.

"Concerns about illegally imported monkey disease were good reasons to detain the monkey," Vallee said in her ruling.

In the judge's ruling, which is posted at the bottom of this story, the judge also ruled that Nakhuda purchased Darwin for $5,000 from an exotic animal dealer, knowing that it was illegal. She also lied by telling members of the animal was a gift.

"Ms. Nakhuda maintaining that the monkey was a gift shows that she was prepared to embellish the facts to improve her legal position," the judge wrote. "This undermines her credibility."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ikea-monkey...122116098.html
    trishka likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

People should not own animals such as monkeys. Apparently he had or attempted to bite some members of the family. They are best left in the wild or in this case a proper sanctuary, zoo at the least. He may have bonded with her, however they are not domesticated like dogs or cats.
    Natalka and trishka like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, she's appealing the ruling to the Court of Appeal.

Nakhuda lists 10 grounds of appeal in the court document, arguing that the judge erred when she found Darwin to be a wild animal and found that none of the exceptions to the legal principle applied.
    She argues the judge failed to appreciate evidence that Toronto Animal Services unlawfully detained Darwin when he was held there before being transferred to the sanctuary.

When Nakhuda signed a form transferring ownership of the monkey at animal services it was "tainted" by "undue influence," she argues.

Vallee found that Nakhuda was "upset, but was not unduly influenced" when she signed the form. She is a real estate lawyer with 20 years of experience and would have understood what she was signing, Vallee wrote.

Nakhuda's notice of appeal also takes exception to Vallee's finding that contradictions in some of Nakhuda's testimony undermined her credibility.
    http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ikea-monke...back-1.1493892

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Gah, waste of court time if they allow it!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 02:16 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Friday, Jan. 17 2014

"The self-proclaimed “mom” of Darwin, the monkey found wandering around a Toronto IKEA parking lot just over a year ago in a diaper and winter coat, has been ordered to pay more than $80,000 in legal costs.

Yasmin Nakhuda, a Toronto real estate lawyer who owned the monkey until the animal was seized by animal services after its December 2012 escape, sued to try to get him back. But after a trial last spring, Ontario Superior Court Justice Mary Vallee ordered in September that Darwin should stay in a primate sanctuary in Sunderland, Ont."

"... Ms. Nakhuda is appealing the order that Darwin stay in the sanctuary, and her case is expected to be heard by the Ontario Court of Appeal later this year."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16387973/
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

she's an attention whore, loves the cameras on her.... she has no interest in the monkey's well- being.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good news, it is being reported that she has given up her appeal to get Darwin back.
    walkonby likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information