• 4 Post By SassyAshley
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 2 Post By Poirot
  • 1 Post By endi2000

Thread: Article: Canadian store points programs are changing in 2013

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Great article explaining that many of the points programs will be revamped next year, including Loblaws, HBC. All to compete with Target's new card, which offers 5% off

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle6655369/

Worth a read
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Target
    mhk, Poirot, lecale and 4 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

plc
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Yes informative and can't wait to see how fierce the competition will get!
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The thing that I don't get is that when Walmart, Super Walmart and Sam's Club came to Canada, there wasn't such a big deal.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    The thing that I don't get is that when Walmart, Super Walmart and Sam's Club came to Canada, there wasn't such a big deal.
    I think it was a big deal at the time, as far as I remember. But we didn't have the internet to chat about it and retail competition wasn't as fierce as it is now. Canada has some of the tightest retail competition in the world

I think the fact that Zellers shut down to make way for them also contributed to the hoopla
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sat, Dec 29th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I'm not sure if I want a new debit/credit card in order to get the savings especially I'm certainly going to have to travel at least 30 km to shop at Target.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Interesting read, thanks OP. I love Target, but I am not sure it will have the same appeal here. I will only get the card if they do the same school matching in Canada that they do I the USA. I just can't justify another card for the points.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I would like to see both Target and Wal-Mart offer the discounts they do in the US. The problem is no one wants to be first so as long as the other doesn't do it why would they. Kind of like price increases in my industry (the building industry) you never want to be the first to announce an increase even when you know it is needed you wait for someone else to announce it first and even at that they don't always take anymore half the time now they don't go through as the competition pulls out.

Until there is real competition in Canada retails have the upper hand, look at Michael's craft store for the most part they have no competition yes Wal-Mart and Zellars had small crafting sections but really did not go head to head with Michael's if you look at the offers they have in the US (I believe it is a loyalty card to earn points and receive products for free) these will never be offered here, why because here they do not have the competition.

I would love to see Wal-Mart or Target be the first to show the same discounts they offer in the States in Canada. But even than I do not think they will curb cross boarder shopping as there are so many products available in US we can't get in Canada.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I think it was a big deal at the time, as far as I remember. But we didn't have the internet to chat about it and retail competition wasn't as fierce as it is now. Canada has some of the tightest retail competition in the world

I think the fact that Zellers shut down to make way for them also contributed to the hoopla
    I think they may have been taking advantage of shoppers for a long time. For example, I saw some dishwasher tabs, regular $5.99 put on sale for $0.94.What a mark up!
    Poirot and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oy, when WM first came, it was absolutely crazy, a huge deal!

However, I miss the Zellers of the 1980s-mid 1990s - it was absolutely awesome for deals, sales, stock, pricing, PMing, etc. in both locations we lived - small and big city. Used to go at least once, sometimes twice a week.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't think Target in Canada will be any good.We will be paying through the nose for them buying the Zellers leases and for the store renovations.
    Shwa Girl and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    I don't think Target in Canada will be any good.We will be paying through the nose for them buying the Zellers leases and for the store renovations.
    You are probably right. And the Canadian government put so many restrictions on US stores opening here, Target Canada won't be like the great shopping experience as in Target US.

I really hope Target Canada puts their coupons online like Target US.
    http://coupons.target.com/
    I really hope Walmart Canada puts their coupons online like Walmart US.
    http://coupons.walmart.com/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You are probably right. And the Canadian government put so many restrictions on US stores opening here, Target Canada won't be like the great shopping experience as in Target US.

I really hope Target Canada puts their coupons online like Target US.
    http://coupons.target.com/
    I really hope Walmart Canada puts their coupons online like Walmart US.
    http://coupons.walmart.com/
    I emailed Walmart about printable Walmart coupons in Canada the ridiculous response I got was they change their website every day.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Great article explaining that many of the points programs will be revamped next year, including Loblaws, HBC. All to compete with Target's new card, which offers 5% off

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle6655369/

Worth a read

Thank you for this. I agree with one of the other posters - it is not worth my changing cards for a few more points - AND I would like to see the prices and quality of products that are offered in Target here. We were just in the States (in the West) last month. I went to Target to see a few things. Sometimes their prices are better than here (makeup etc) but when you look at general housewares, not really.

Zellers did have great sales when they put things on sale - but the funny thing is - when they had their closing out sales - it took months before they offered even 50% off. Several times I went in and they only had 20-30% off.

Since we live in an area where there are a couple of RCSS - one on a reservation and offering half decent gas price with a great discount when using their card - it is worth my while to continue with their card for my free groceries Ya gotta eat!
    torontogal12 likes this.

Thread Information