User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Buyers beware : Please read shoppers drug mart electronics

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for this info, I was planning on buying a e-reader, but maybe I will shop elsewhere.
    kristeven likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by captainfats View Post
    Buy the same product at Walmart. Return the defective product back to Walmart and exchange it for a new product. Now you have 2 unopened products. Take one back to Shoppers We're On Drugs Mart for a refund and keep the other.

I know you have already sent your product to Nintendo but this may be helpful to other members.

Click "like" if you agree.

If you feel this is unethical, feel free to comment.
    The only problem i can think of that would happen with that is with electronics, walmart now scans upc and serial number- on my receipt when i purchase electronics at walmart it now has the system serial number as well- so if you return the one from SDM they may not take it(since the serial number will be different) However if it wasnt an electronic, that would work like a charm-

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i was in the same situation when i bought a camera from Canadian tire.
    i find the fact that one you open the electronic you cannot return it completely ridiculous!
    i tried returning it to the Canadian tire and they wouldn't take it but when i visited another one
    it was no problem! basically what i'm saying is... maybe try your luck at a different location?
    if they allow that... not sure.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Sorry this happened to you - however, there have been many posts on SC warning others who may be thinking of purchasing electronics.
    And I always ask prior to purchase (especially on an expensive item) what their return/exchange policy is .
    Natalka and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

I purchased a PS3 from shoppers for a gift. Turns out that PS3 had been purchased, used and then returned to SDM. It already had someone else's profile on it and everything. The person I bought it for thought I bought it used!!

I took it back to Shoppers Drug Mart, they refused to exchange, and pointed out the electronics no return policy and said it was strict, no exceptions. My argument: If they were so strict with the policy then I wouldn't have ended up with a used one in the first place. The manager checked the serial numbers and eventually allowed the exchange. I just hope they didn't resell it.

I prefer to purchase my Electronics at places like Future Shop. 30 days return policy on anything, no questions asked. Unless of course I'm redeeming points... in that case I examine the seals on the packaging very carefully, cross my fingers and toes and hope it works!!
    Natalka, Silk and Anna Michele like this.

Current user title here.
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Now that you mention it. I had trouble with an electronics return to Future Shop because I had purchased 2 and returned one in the wrong box. The serial number on the product did not match the serial on the box.

Are you saying they have a database with all the serial numbers?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by captainfats View Post
    Now that you mention it. I had trouble with an electronics return to Future Shop because I had purchased 2 and returned one in the wrong box. The serial number on the product did not match the serial on the box.

Are you saying they have a database with all the serial numbers?
    Sometimes serial numbers are recorded at FS or BB if you purchase their extended warranty. For returns, they will check a number on the box against the product in it though, to prevent people from trying to return a defective item that may have been purchased else where, or out of warranty. They don't actually have a database of serial numbers for every product.
    captainfats likes this.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Wow I actually never paid attention to their policy. Its horrible this happened to you and your son. I hope everything works out for you. SDM is on this real kick to disappoint everyone wow. lol. I like others just assumed that a Canadian retailer with such a big name selling electronics would guarantee a purchase rather than operate like a flea market. Buyer Beware. ugh just so disappointing.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I understand how frustrating this policy is but Shopper's is not the only one with a policy like this. One of my co worker's purchased an Ipod for her son at The Source and needless to say something happened and it stopped working, when she took it back to them she was told she had to contact Apple as it was a defective product and there is nothing they could do.

Now that so many stores are trying to become the "one stop shop" finding a store that stands behind a products 100% is tricky. Sears used to be the best for standing behind all of their products Sears no longer offers these services and instead now you deal with a manufacturer. It is kind of hit and miss as to the service you are going to receive when dealing with a store especially since lets be honest most of the time now it comes down to price, whether we find the item online or in store. To lower costs stores no longer deal with these issues and instead put them back to manufacturer. It sucks but it happens more than I think most people realize.
    anastasia1009, Darla and kmiecp like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't have a lot of sympathy. After all, when someone buys a wii product from a drugstore- what do they expect? Shoppers hardly has the inventory to exchange/return defective electronic products- especially when they are simply the retailer and the manufacturer will repair the product for the consumer. If you are using Shoppers as a one-stop-shop for everything, it's your responsibility to know the exchange policy. And in this case, it is hardly unreasonable.
    It would be one thing if you were misled into believing the (opened!!) product could be exchange- but you weren't. you just assumed. I would say this is the price of convenience- sometimes it doesn't work out. send it in to wii/nintendo and they'll fix it or send you a new one. nbd.
    newbiesaver likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I might not wait for 95000 points to buy a Vita then, next redemption day for me. Gonna save up.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

If you are in Quebec and you buy a defective electronics item, you can return it and get your money back according to the Quebec Consumer Protection Act, not what SDM policy says. There are restrictions, like you don't like the colour.

Yay for living in french country.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    If you are in Quebec and you buy a defective electronics item, you can return it and get your money back according to the Quebec Consumer Protection Act, not what SDM policy says. There are restrictions, like you don't like the colour.

Yay for living in french country.
    Can you provide a source for this info, couponmummy? I called Consumer Protection once and was told there is no law re: returns and stores can determine their own policy. However, I do know there is a law about how long a product should last before breaking down.

Silk
    anastasia1009 likes this.
    Have a great life!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    And I always ask prior to purchase (especially on an expensive item) what their return/exchange policy is .
    And I suggest you get the name of the manager who gives you this info. Better yet, get it in writing

Silk
    Have a great life!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Bill 60, read page 5. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo.

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...e=2009C51A.PDF

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information