User Tag List

Page 62 of 81 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Good Morning all!

I will be working on my April budget today as that is my goal. I foresee April being a little tight month and hope that next weeks flyers are better than this weeks as there really is not much for us at all on sale this week.

++++++++++++

So I have noticed a huge difference in my shopping style, making my list and then crossing things off the list that I am hoping for a better sale or things that we can do without. I have not purchased any pre-packaged foods since my family and I starting being REALLY frugal in mid-January, to be honest the only things that I purchase pre-packaged are mini NO NAME pizzas for the kids as a treat and pizza kits. I used to purchase Knorr Sidekicks and Uncle Bens Bistro express and fries. Now I purchase patatoes and make our own, I purchase a large box of minute rice and make pasta (got a whole whack of free barilla as ways back) so I only need to worry about sauces.

We have pretty well been sticking to the budget (jars/envies) and not straying away, with the exception that if I send dh shopping....well.....enough said.

I no longer purchase pre-made baked goods, Sunday is my designated baking day and ds who is 10 loves to help. He already asked this am before school if we could bake something together.

I would like to attempt to make buns/bread this week so those of you with bread recipes, could you kindly repost your recipes or attach link to the page from this thread or simply pm me.

With respect to debt repayment I am still aiming for June to be my free and clear LOC (fingers crossed) and then I plan to put a certain amount away per month for a vacation with the family (near or far doesn't matter). We were able to do a mini vacation last year to Kingston for 3 days (2 nights) because I won a VISA from the AstroBiobest contest. I also "wish" to put a certain amount per month away towards home renovations.....baby steps of course.

I find it very encouraging to be doing this as a group with you ladies and have learned so many different things, tips, etc....It's truly refreshing to know I am not alone

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Question of the Day? 2 Part Question!!!

Have you noticed a change in the way you shop, spend, do your banking, debt repayment since the Frugal Chatter Started in February?

And if so, ONLY if you wish to share what is your biggest change/accomplishment?
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks fixing

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    Hi,
    For my suggestion is should read "April Frugally Astute" not just:
    "Frugally Astute"
    from LuvToUseCoupons
    Thanks.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Okay everyone:

Please post your name for next Month's Frugal chatter for April!!!

I will get everyone to vote on what name is the most popular.

The names for far submitted are on page 1 on the 1st post, if I have missed your name please pm me or post again. As there are so many pages (61) on this thread for far - we are all doing so well....baby steps!
    How about Spring into Savings
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Loves To Save SimplifiedMommyTips's Avatar
    Trading Score
    260 (100%)

I can't keep up with the thread, it's amazing that there are lots of members who are frugal like me LOL.

I don't keep track of my coupons, fpc and price matching savings however, there is a budget allotted for four weeks of groceries and monthly expenses, because I get paid every two weeks so I formatted my budgeting in a four weeks period. We have a budget of $2,600.00 evry four weeks this consist of our rent, foods, telephone, cellphone, internet, insurance, RRSP, clothing, laundry, petty cash, public transit, diapers and baby stuffs, and with that amount I still get to save 10% of the amount and goes to our savings, I have my allowance of $40.00 every four weeks and that is where I get money to get some things that I want to buy for my self, things I want for my children or for gifts for b'days , used to be $100.00 since on mat leave reduced it to $40.00.

It's been a very frugal months since I am on mat leave, DH is self employed and doesn't get paid regularly for himself. So we are living just with my income. If he get's paid the money goes towards our savings.

So far I am able to put away $1500.00 plus 10% of our budget savings every four weeks despite of being on mat leave. I get a parental top up from my employer and gets almost the same amount when I was working which is a blessing, get to stay home and get paid just the same. We are trying very hard to save to purchase a house and put some money to invest so I could work less to look after my children (as they are answer to my prayers).

I can't think of anything specific for April however I would like to build my meat/frozen stuffs stockpile within our food budget. No prepared meals and continue to bake and make snacks from scratch.

Since I have been a part of this thread I am aware of things that I buy and spend money with. If it is not an urgent need then it has to wait until there is a best price.
    Last edited by SimplifiedMommyTips; Fri, Mar 22nd, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Wasn't too frugal this week. DD was sick so it's hard to take care of a 2 year old and cook meals! Had some delicious Indian food, it's worth it to splurge sometimes

I track my savings in a spreadsheet for coupons, PM and sales. This way I can track how much I saved in each category. DH is always amazed that I can spend $70 on groceries and we have food for weeks and when he spends $70 we have food for a few days lol

We're going to have to get a little more frugal around my house, with a new little one on the way! Yay! Now that I'm FINALLY starting to feel better I can focus on meal planning and buying on sale etc. I plan on stocking up while I have my full income and living off the stockpile while on mat leave

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

congrats to you and your family on the new baby that's on it's way!

Quote Originally Posted by amandabananda View Post
    Wasn't too frugal this week. DD was sick so it's hard to take care of a 2 year old and cook meals! Had some delicious Indian food, it's worth it to splurge sometimes

I track my savings in a spreadsheet for coupons, PM and sales. This way I can track how much I saved in each category. DH is always amazed that I can spend $70 on groceries and we have food for weeks and when he spends $70 we have food for a few days lol

We're going to have to get a little more frugal around my house, with a new little one on the way! Yay! Now that I'm FINALLY starting to feel better I can focus on meal planning and buying on sale etc. I plan on stocking up while I have my full income and living off the stockpile while on mat leave
    YOU AND ME and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

wow, you are doing fabulous, I envy you about the 10% savings, hoping to do that by then end of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplifiedMommyTips View Post
    I can't keep up with the thread, it's amazing that there are lots of members who are frugal like me LOL.

I don't keep track of my coupons, fpc and price matching savings however, there is a budget allotted for four weeks of groceries and monthly expenses, because I get paid every two weeks so I formatted my budgeting in a four weeks period. We have a budget of $2,600.00 evry four weeks this consist of our rent, foods, telephone, cellphone, internet, insurance, RRSP, clothing, laundry, petty cash, public transit, diapers and baby stuffs, and with that amount I still get to save 10% of the amount and goes to our savings, I have my allowance of $40.00 every four weeks and that is where I get money to get some things that I want to buy for my self, things I want for my children or for gifts for b'days , used to be $100.00 since on mat leave reduced it to $40.00.

It's been a very frugal months since I am on mat leave, DH is self employed and doesn't get paid regularly for himself. So we are living just with my income. If he get's paid the money goes towards our savings.

So far I am able to put away $1500.00 plus 10% of our budget savings every four weeks despite of being on mat leave. I get a parental top up from my employer and gets almost the same amount when I was working which is a blessing, get to stay home and get paid just the same. We are trying very hard to save to purchase a house and put some money to invest so I could work less to look after my children (as they are answer to my prayers).

I can't think of anything specific for April however I would like to build my meat/frozen stuffs stockpile within our food budget. No prepared meals and continue to bake and make snacks from scratch.

Since I have been a part of this thread I am aware of things that I buy and spend money with. If it is not an urgent need then it has to wait until there is a best price.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Question of the day?

Are you tracking your grocery savings (coupons & price matching) or FPC and values?

By week?
    By month?
    By year?
    We track both by month and year. DH gets paid weekly, but I get paid monthly. As DH's job is hourly- there can be variation. Our house budget is based on his average income/average bills over the last few years. But I enter receipts as I get them. So I keep watch over both the savings and the spending.

Found some freezer jam packets in the cupboard, so ran off to No frills to get the last few strawberry containers they had for $2.00 for 2lbs. Now have 10 cups sitting in my freezer. Perfect timing for us.
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, Mar 22nd, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

Have you noticed a change in the way you shop, spend, do your banking, debt repayment since the Frugal Chatter Started in February?

And if so, ONLY if you wish to share what is your biggest change/accomplishment?
    I wasn't involved in the frugal feb. thread but here's my answer anyway

I changed my spending habits a few years ago when I started seriously couponing. I used to go into a grocery store with no list, buy whatever I wanted, all brand names, etc. I would shop two or three times a week and pick up things as I needed them. Since I began couponing I never go to the store without a list, and if it's not on sale and if I don't have a coupon for it, I don't buy it!

I spend a lot less on take out now and we do a lot of our fave take out meals at home (jasperandchar, is it you that does this as well?)

My financial situation is a little different- DS and I live with my Mom and Dad, we've been here for 4 years now after a nasty divorce. It's taken me this long but I finally have a car (if I can afford to get the safety done!), a college certificate (PSW) and I can start looking for work as soon as my car is done!!! So I don't have any bills to pay other than my cell phone bill, but I buy all the groceries for the household- on less than $400 a month. Insurance is going to kill me (first time ever owning a car so it's the first time I've ever had insurance, plus I only have my G2) but my parents will help with that until I'm working steadily. I've given up a lot so my children don't have to go without but it'll all pay off!!
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sheetsofemptycanvas View Post

I changed my spending habits a few years ago when I started seriously couponing. I used to go into a grocery store with no list, buy whatever I wanted, all brand names, etc. I would shop two or three times a week and pick up things as I needed them. Since I began couponing I never go to the store without a list, and if it's not on sale and if I don't have a coupon for it, I don't buy it!

I spend a lot less on take out now and we do a lot of our fave take out meals at home (jasperandchar, is it you that does this as well?)

My financial situation is a little different- DS and I live with my Mom and Dad, we've been here for 4 years now after a nasty divorce. It's taken me this long but I finally have a car (if I can afford to get the safety done!), a college certificate (PSW) and I can start looking for work as soon as my car is done!!! So I don't have any bills to pay other than my cell phone bill, but I buy all the groceries for the household- on less than $400 a month. Insurance is going to kill me (first time ever owning a car so it's the first time I've ever had insurance, plus I only have my G2) but my parents will help with that until I'm working steadily. I've given up a lot so my children don't have to go without but it'll all pay off!!
    Wow good for you.You must have amazing parents, helping you achieve goals and a great life for your little ones. You will look back in ten years and all the penny pinching will have paid off not to mention passing on great money management skills to the litttle ones.good luck with the car.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Thanks for sharing and yes it is I who does homemade take out Saturday nights (lol). You and your son should enjoy the opportunity that you have living with your parents, sounds like they are fantastic, great job. baby steps...

Quote Originally Posted by sheetsofemptycanvas View Post

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

smart lady scooping that strawberry deal, sounds like you're all set with the jam

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    We track both by month and year. DH gets paid weekly, but I get paid monthly. As DH's job is hourly- there can be variation. Our house budget is based on his average income/average bills over the last few years. But I enter receipts as I get them. So I keep watch over both the savings and the spending.

Found some freezer jam packets in the cupboard, so ran off to No frills to get the last few strawberry containers they had for $2.00 for 2lbs. Now have 10 cups sitting in my freezer. Perfect timing for us.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Well, I am happy to say that if anything, I am making sure that I practice what I preach. I know how to coupon, save money etc. But, Lent and this thread have held me accountable for the little things that I usually let slide. For example, yesterday we went to the mall. DS wanted to go and ride around in the blue rent a car (it is a cheap $3.00 date LOL!) So we did. I packed a snack and we just "drove" around, played with the Thomas the Train track in Chapters and came home. I did buy a few things @ the dollar store, but nothing that did not have a immediate purpose. Before we had left for the mall, I had thrown in everything needed to make veggie soup, so lunch was ready for us when we came home. Total expense was under $20.00 (including my tea and his soy milk from Starbucks).

As of this month, we have enough set aside to pay for the rest of DH's volunteer trip to Guatemala (even with the car repair and him being off for half the month.)
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, Mar 22nd, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

fantastic savings & news!

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    Well, I am happy to say that if anything, I am making sure that I practice what I preach. I know how to coupon, save money etc. But, Lent and this thread have held me accountable for the little things that I usually let slide. For example, yesterday we went to the mall. DS wanted to go and ride around in the blue rent a car (it is a cheap $3.00 date LOL!) So we did. I packed a snack and we just "drove" around, played with the Thomas the Train track in Chapters and came home. I did buy a few things @ the dollar store, but nothing that did not have a immediate purpose. Before we had left for the mall, I had thrown in everything needed to make veggie soup, so lunch was ready for us when we came home. Total expense was under $20.00 (including my tea and his soy milk from Starbucks).

As of this month, we have enough set aside to pay for the rest of DH's volunteer trip to Guatemala (even with the car repair and him being off for half the month.)
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SimplifiedMommyTips View Post

We are very similar. I got a top up as well. But my top wasn't for the full 52 weeks. So I set aside $1500 a month during my top up, and I've been using now that my top up has ended. This way I'll finish my maternity leave no worse off than we were before. Plus knowing that there is at least $1500 in our budget means that's a start for daycare.

Honestly, one of the frugal things I've done is coupon less. If that makes any sense. There is this temptation to buy something cause you have a coupon, the thrill of savings. I bought so many Glade things when I first started couponing more seriously. Cause it was such a "bargain". Now we watch what we eat. We avoid "processed" foods, which is where a lot of the coupons come from. I use very little coupons on food because what I want doesn't have a coupon, and I stopped buying stuff with coupons "cause it was a bargain." Most of my coupons are on things like diapers, papertowels, ect...
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Page 62 of 81 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 ... LastLast

Thread Information