User Tag List

Page 41 of 116 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast
Like Tree5786Likes

Thread: May the Savings be with you - May Frugal Chatter

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So happy I found this thread!! We are saving to buy a house, and hubby has made some very strict rules on how much of a down payment we have to have before we can even look for one. I want a house desperately so we have put our fam jam on a tight budget to get a home soon as we can. So i love seeing how everyone else saves money, every penny counts!!

Today i took my toddler shopping for her summer clothes, we got a whole new wardrobe for $30 at Value Village half off sale!!

What is your best tip for saving money !!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I so hope that the next set of flyers have rockin' good sales on MEAT.
    Maybe since it's May 2-4 weekend, they may have some deals. The barbeques should be working well on the long weekend. Here's hoping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

do you have friend you can swap clothes with?
    the summer months are a huge time for me wanting to spend money. money I do not have , but boy do i want to do stuff.
    so currently , I am writing out a list( very detailed) of free or very , very heap that we can do.

example-
    picnic- at conservation ares- with a list of teh free ones.
    walk teh dog
    free movies at the libary- new ones come in thursdays.
    free canada day activites that are local.
    watch for free days at local pool.
    bike ride with familiy

cheap , or cheaper- watch sales for drumsicles ect( way cheaper then DQ)
    beach - picnic. - cost for gas for laocal places, vrs a further one, or more expenssive gas. - dpenends on gas $'s, and on day trip info.

ect, ect, ect

that way , when the urge hits for a family activity- I can grab the list. and get inspired.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Great price for your little ones wardrobe!

Meal planning is so important and can save you and your family alot of money, then I think it is sticking to your list & budget while out doing groceries or errands. Just my 2 cents

Welcome to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rwelsh View Post
    So happy I found this thread!! We are saving to buy a house, and hubby has made some very strict rules on how much of a down payment we have to have before we can even look for one. I want a house desperately so we have put our fam jam on a tight budget to get a home soon as we can. So i love seeing how everyone else saves money, every penny counts!!

Today i took my toddler shopping for her summer clothes, we got a whole new wardrobe for $30 at Value Village half off sale!!

What is your best tip for saving money !!
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 03:58 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Great price for your little ones wardrobe!

Meal planning is so important and can save you and your family alot of money, then I think it is sticking to your list & budget while out doing groceries or errands. Just my 2 cents

Welcome to the thread!

That is what our first money saving thing was. Make a meal list. Make a grocery list. Stick to the list. Though I would still like to get our weekly grocery budget down... got to learn how to save money on food now, other then sales and coupons. haha. thanks for the advice, its a good one to always remember...

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Our situation is a little different dh has been receiving WSIB for several years now and will until he's 65 years old and then will receive a pension from them. He has started working through the retraining that WSIB provided and his job (as an CYW) for the school closes down for the summer. So I'm wondering if he can collect EI for his summers through EI or if he is not at all allowed because he receives monies from WSIB because of an injury in his previous employment.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    You can't collect money from WSIB and EI at the same time, what happens is they make you pay back the EI to WSIB, or failing that, pay back all the EI at income tax time
    I guess what is confusing is when you are waiting for your WSIB claim to go through they tell you to apply to EI
    However when your WSIB comes in you have to pay back the EI for the period that the WSIB covers
    So no double dipping
    I'm helping dh's brother with a claim right now...
    lecale and Caseythegoalie like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

WSIB will pay back EI directly and any monies owing for insurance through work if approved plus they will back pay you from the day of injury and claim approval.

You can't collect money from WSIB and EI at the same time, what happens is they make you pay back the EI to WSIB, or failing that, pay back all the EI at income tax time
    I guess what is confusing is when you are waiting for your WSIB claim to go through they tell you to apply to EI
    However when your WSIB comes in you have to pay back the EI for the period that the WSIB covers
    So no double dipping
    I'm helping dh's brother with a claim right now...
    Angela273 and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

If you have a freezer besides the one over your fridge or under your fridge, premake and freeze meals, make larger batches and freeze, stock up on sales which you most likely already do.

make foods from scrath and avoid fast foods/take out, coffees, etc bring your own lunches.

groceries is a touch call, the sales are hit or miss right now I'm struggling with the grocery budget at this moment as I need to restock my meat inventory and I'm not getting lucky.

Also call your telephone, satelittle, internet providers for a better rate.

Making a list of wants vs. needs when you have a purchase to make if this is doable and everyone has to be on the same page, it's a commitment that everyone in the family has to be on board with in my opinion, it takes a little adjusting to get the hang of the changes and tweeking your budget several times before you have it down to a science (lol).

if you have anything questions please feel free to post them and everyone on here will provide whatever advice, suggestions, comments to help.

Quote Originally Posted by rwelsh View Post
    That is what our first money saving thing was. Make a meal list. Make a grocery list. Stick to the list. Though I would still like to get our weekly grocery budget down... got to learn how to save money on food now, other then sales and coupons. haha. thanks for the advice, its a good one to always remember...

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:34 PM.
    Crochetlady and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I will call tomorrow, thanks

I would call WSIB and chat with them, not the least because at least you can get through to a human in short order and EI is just nuts for that.

But I think it is more about the EI rules than WSIB rules. EI is one stingy program and if you are getting money from ANYWHERE else they want their money back. WSIB would know if your dh's particular situation makes him an exception...but pretty well, I don't think it matters much is you are on disability, WSIB, CPP, welfare, whatever EI will not let you double dip and they do use tax returns to get their money back too

It is best to get this cleared up before it happens anyway.
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

That's why I have my coffee at home or have my travel mugs ready to go while heading out - lol, I never get a coffee at a drive through, it's absurd how much they charge and even crazier is the profit they make for coffee being pennies a cup....BUT I LOVE MY FOLGERS!

2 small coffees a day and you've blown $50 for every month of 20 working days

vs. 40 tea bags, as low as $1.20/month (or a big $4.00 if you buy specialty tea on sale)

Coffee is an evil nectar!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Inquring Minds Want to Know

If you encounter a problem with a product or service do you contact the company? It could be anything from food to cars, etc...

What have been your results, would you purchase or use that company again?
    Caseythegoalie likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Question of the Day

What is your in a pinch dinner/lunch?

Page 41 of 116 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast

Thread Information