User Tag List

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Like Tree4745Likes

Thread: August Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow every baby is unique and she is still a brand new baby so trying to figure her out now will drive you batty. I think we can all sympathize and being new baby exhausted is a whole new kid of crazy. It does get better. I spent lots of time with my babies in slings and carriers long before they were the trend. It was a lifesaver and you can often find these on kijiji. With my second son DH was working out of the country so the babe and I co-slept and it certainly not for everyone but kept me from losing my mind, but we waited until he was about 6 week old to start. If you are BF you milk is still coming in so just sleep when she sleeps and know that it really at the end of the day it all works out. If there are any coupons you need let us know as I am I sure we can at least keep you in coupons
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Turns out DS wanted to nap early so I'd like to share with the group about what's going on in our lives while DD does a few puzzles...

As most of you know, we just moved to London in May. We moved in with DH's brother and his fiance, and they just had their first baby. They have been seeing a pediatrician for her who is taking on patients atm so we got an appointment for this past Monday. Our appointment was for 3. Luckily my dad was visiting so he drove us.

Ok... so, there was a big train table (Thomas) in the waiting area. DS and DD got to play with it for about 5 minutes before we were called into the little room. This is where it all went sour. DS had one of his infamous tantrums. These are not normal tantrums. There is glass-shattering screaming along with uncontrollable flailing of arms and legs. DS looks like a beat red tomato while he is having these tantrums. They're usually accompanied by hitting/kicking/pinching/hair pulling and/or throwing things/knocking things over. All of this took place on this fateful day. We were in the room no later than 3:10 and didn't leave the office until 4:20. During this time did my son stop his uncontrollable tantrum? Nope :D The doc got to hear and see what we deal with on a daily basis

I was so pleased with how kind and calm the doctor was with Isaac and with all of us really. Of course Isaac's tantrum caused Olivia to become upset as well so she was scared and crying the whole time the Doc examined her. He gave us some pointers on how to deal with his behaviour and printed off two different questionnaires for us to fill out about Isaac for our next visit (which was scheduled for 3 days' time, which was this past Thursday). Of course DH was all anxious (suffers from anxiety) because the doctor recommended a crisis centre here in London (Merrymount). However he was recommending it because he knows we're both students and are on a very limited income, and he had suggested that a daycare would be a good option to help Isaac learn to manage his behaviour.

So yesterday we took the bus up to the Doc and thank goodness Isaac didn't throw any tantrums. The Doc brought in a play mat and some blocks and once I sat on the floor, Isaac sat on my lap and eventually began playing with the blocks. The doctor didn't examine him, he said it would push Isaac to much and that we were better off waiting until our next appointment (scheduled to be 10 days from now). He read through our responses to the questionnaires and talked with us a bit more about what kind of techniques will work with Isaac and what to avoid.

He also recommended that we enroll him in swimming lessons immediately and seek out a daycare or Montessori ASAP. It's something I'd already looked into last month but DH's anxiety about daycare and who we leave the kids with prevented us from following through with it. Thank goodness the Doc recommended it because now DH will be more willing to commit. I wanted it not because we need a sitter for the kids but because I know it's best for their development and with DD starting school September 2014 I want her to be used to being out of the house. So, we've been looking at the London Academy Montessori. Phew it's pricey!! My parent's did offer to pay when I spoke with them about it before. When the kids and I go up to their cottage next week I am definitely going to be discussing it with them lol.

The Doc also said he's a kid who needs to burn off his energy with exercise (which we already knew lol - he is so insanely high energy), so we will continue doing what we have been doing and go to the park/splash pad every afternoon, and we bought a trampoline for the backyard for the morning's and days we don't get to the park. It's fun!

Anyway, Isaac doesn't seem to be doing any different since our visits to the pediatrician, but he did tell us it would take a lot of time. I'm finding it difficult to manage his tantrums the way the doctor advised with our current living situation (can't put him in his room when he's having one because it's beside my SIL/BIL's room and with the new baby I don't want to wake them up every time he has a tantrum which sadly is quite frequently). The doctor just advised to simply ignore Isaac unless he is hitting or throwing things (so not necessarily to put him in his room) and then to calmly tell him "no" and go back to ignoring him. Check in every few minutes and eventually ask, "Are you ready to talk?" and if he says yes, to sit down and talk to him, but if he screams to just say, "I'm not going to talk to you when you're screaming" and go back to ignoring. It's hard lol. Gosh it's hard.

Anyways, we head up to my parent's cottage in Kingston on the 7th so the break for all of us while we're there will be so lovely.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

lighthousejen
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Ok I'm usually a lerker on this thread. But today I thought I needed some frugal motivation and I though who better to keep me motivated then all of you wonderful, crazy frugal ladies(and men?). Any who... me and my hubby were really doing good on our frugal, paying down debt adventure. But lately we seem to be struggling. Eating out more, buying things we don't need. I don't know if we are just having frugal fatigue or whatBut I know we need to get back on track. So this month I'm going to try the envelope system. Eating from our stockpile. And just generally watching our spending. If anybody has any tips or ideas to get them back on track when they get sidetracked I would love to hear them. And this thread is just one of my favorites that I ALWAYS have to read!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lighthousejen View Post
    Ok I'm usually a lerker on this thread. But today I thought I needed some frugal motivation and I though who better to keep me motivated then all of you wonderful, crazy frugal ladies(and men?). Any who... me and my hubby were really doing good on our frugal, paying down debt adventure. But lately we seem to be struggling. Eating out more, buying things we don't need. I don't know if we are just having frugal fatigue or whatBut I know we need to get back on track. So this month I'm going to try the envelope system. Eating from our stockpile. And just generally watching our spending. If anybody has any tips or ideas to get them back on track when they get sidetracked I would love to hear them. And this thread is just one of my favorites that I ALWAYS have to read!!
    welcome to the thread. I love the frugal fatigue phrase as there are days when it seems like throwing my hands up and say enough would be easier. But then I come here and get motivated and can stay on track.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

lighthousejen
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    August goals for this family is to continue the painting and landscaping we have started. We redid our front perennial beds with 50% off hydrangea, hosta and lilies.It looks great but was a ton of work. I buy my granddaughters back to school clothes and supplies just because it makes me happy to do it.i buy clearance all year and pack the clothing and supplies away in totes. Had her over today to try all the clothes on and besides hemming a pair of jeggings she is set, with several outfits, shoes, fall and winter coats as well as boots. School Supplies are labeled and in her new back pack that she loves(picked it up for $5 in January). I am making her a poncho and she wants a long skirt, so went through my fabric and have fleece for the poncho and a beautiful turquoise floral fabric for the skirt.I know my daughter appreciates this and it really helps with her budget.

I like to can a few things in August and will be picking up beets for pickling.I plan to make bread and cookies on the cooler days for the freezer for lunches in September.I also will be maximize savings on fresh fruit and vegetables and freezing any great sales.I am also wanting to try making my own pesto, I cook a lot but have never tackled it before.I found a large basil plant at 75% off at Independant's garden center so hopefully it will be the plant that keeps on giving!!

SOOOO sweet that you do that for your grandkids. What a lovely way to make their first day back to school special

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    During the afternoon, DH wanted to blame her behaviour on the new cloth diapers. So far, we've used up a few cloth ones and saved a little space in the landfill. Grainger, did your DH cloth diaper both in the daytime and the evenings? My mom thinks if a liner is used, she'll be more comfortable and the moisture won't be held against her skin.
    We use disposables at night, strictly for rash prevention. Bummis liners are biodegradable and our favourite (Well.ca), you can also use cotton/hemp liners. Early on during the marathon evening feedings, I found I had no more milk to give and my babies would cry. I believe the heart wrenching process is to stimulate more milk production. I would cuddle and keep trying until their was more milk to give. You are doing great mama!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, sweets, big hugs for you - I remember it all well, even though it was a while ago!

She may just need some time to get into a better rhythm... for both of you. I know I was worried because our son would only sleep about 20 minutes at a time, then be up for hours - all around the clock. I was frazzled, and worried, but he was happy - and the doc said it was just his way, like he didn't want to miss anything so he wanted to be awake as much as possible.

We also had to deal with colic - it was awful. Old fashioned gripe water worked the best - and all the endless hours of walking/swaying with him down the hallway, singing and singing....

We used cloth diapers, and used liners all the time!

Keep a list of your concerns so you can talk with the doc about them at the next checkup - is hers at one week?
    Do you get a public health nurse in?

Wishing you luck - and some rest, when you can get it!
    Natalka always has such good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthousejen View Post
    Welcome lighthousejen! For me the important thing is getting back on track, we are all going to splurge and spend here and then, as long as we stop ourselves to change the direction of our spending (so we are not adding debt). My strategy is a budget of "whatever" money for both DH and I. It is not a lot, but enough to get our fix.

Aside: This month I am using it to ride a package train on SC. So if you don't "hear" me as much, it is because I have that thread to keep up with and package train threads are a little more time consuming when riding. I am still around!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

here are the names submitted for August, please post which 1 you would like to see in the thread title, Unhitch Your Rich August Frugal Chatter from Granger/August's Back to School Savings from MaddensMomma/AWWWW Gust be Frugal from avoncallingu/Ace the Savings in August - Natalka

August Savings Daze- Natalka
    End of Summer - coupon girl
    Swimming in Savings -Natalka /August Austerity in Action or Auspicious August Savings from cdngal75
    Crochetlady and YOU AND ME like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    One thing I'm starting to do now is move any extra $ from my budget to my Amex so I can build a big credit and have a shopping spree at Costco. So for example if my Gas budget of $80 had $ leftover on my next pay then I will move the difference to my Amex. Also ordered my friend a SPC card on my credit card but paid for it out of my misc. $ so when she emailed me the $ I moved it to my AMEX since I already paid for it last budget period The little games I play with myself that thrill me lol
    Sounds like a great strategy, good luck!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MaddensMomma View Post
    Goals for August:

1. Finish the Basement - must finish trim in family room and craft area and hang 1 more door, put drop ceiling back in, paint bedroom and closet, paint all the doors in the basement, paint bedroom trim and put up, steam clean carpets, bring furniture in.

2. If the above gets finished (I'm hoping it will be!), set up the baby room (a.k.a. our current bedroom) and organize craft area (lower priority).

3. NO EATING OUT!!! (I am reducing our "eating out" budget to $100 for the month). This includes stopping for food on the way to/from camping as well so that is probably almost $40 from our budget gone.

4. Organize freezer and use up some old stock.
    great goals thanks for sharing!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Grocery Spending August 1st-15th period $5 (5 bags of Europes Best Veggies) $1.99 WM (1 lemon 1 lime 1 package of 2 Simply Egg whites $2.29 less $1 coupon 1 OEP Taco kit $4 Less FPC) So $6.99 total spent so far.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    Afternoon ladies

This month things i need to do
    1.- Clean out stand up freezer
    2.-Want to do some cooking Shepherd Pies,Spaghetti Sauce,Meat Pies and some other things
    3.-Clean out backyard lots of things for the garbage
    4.- Clean off my treadmill and start a exercise problem before Easter i lost 15Lbs but need to lose another 20lbs,oh well time will tell

Last month had 20 no spend days and made $300 extra cleaning..My CC is paid off now if i could only get my HELOC paid down i would be a happy girl
    great goals, congrats on paying off your cc and the extra $300.00 from cleaning...you're doing fantastic!
    Crochetlady likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    well as we are all talking about cutting out on take out or eating out -I am going out with my friend -but also I have a coupon -I will suggest pita pit around the corner-she cancelled last night cause her car broke down -anyway looking forward to it -I had a bad day today crying over my mother -cause I was looking thru the knitted and crocheted baby stuff she made a few years back for my future grandchildren -I want to take it over to my son,s soon cause I sure don't want to take it to the baby shower-I want the shower to be a happy time
    Sorry you were crying but they were I believe sadness and joy both at the same time. Your mother sounds like she was a very thoughtful mom and was especially anxious for you to become a grandma. Just think of the memories and joy you will have when you see your granddaughter in the items your mom her great grandma made for her.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Just checking in from Vancouver. We had a good drive out here and only spent $20 on takeout enroute which was pretty good for 4 people-we had lots of snacks in the car too. We are doing a house exchange in West Vancouver-very nice home with a view of the bay-went to sleep watching fireworks from my new bed and woke up to a cruise ship sailing in. Met some old friends downtown and took the little boat over to Granville Island. Spent about 58 today on lunch and ferry tokens and now DH has just taken DD and her friend down to the local bakery-kerching, kerching. Don't think this will be a frugal 3 weeks but given we don't have any accommodation expenses I guess we will usually have breakfast and dinner at home and often eat lunch out. Did I mention Vancouver is expensive-at least I picked up an Entertainment book so will have to start using that!! Still tired from the long drive but we will just take it easy this evening. Happy August everyone. Once we get back our goal is to paint the spare room as we are expecting a 10 year old Korean exchange student to come and live with us and go to school starting Aug 27 for the school year. Hope she is not too homesick!
    Thanks for checking in. Hope you have a great vacation and as frugally as possible if and when possible. Wow that is quite the commitment to host a exchange student for the school year, wish you look.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    August goals for this family is to continue the painting and landscaping we have started. We redid our front perennial beds with 50% off hydrangea, hosta and lilies.It looks great but was a ton of work. I buy my granddaughters back to school clothes and supplies just because it makes me happy to do it.i buy clearance all year and pack the clothing and supplies away in totes. Had her over today to try all the clothes on and besides hemming a pair of jeggings she is set, with several outfits, shoes, fall and winter coats as well as boots. School Supplies are labeled and in her new back pack that she loves(picked it up for $5 in January). I am making her a poncho and she wants a long skirt, so went through my fabric and have fleece for the poncho and a beautiful turquoise floral fabric for the skirt.I know my daughter appreciates this and it really helps with her budget.

I like to can a few things in August and will be picking up beets for pickling.I plan to make bread and cookies on the cooler days for the freezer for lunches in September.I also will be maximize savings on fresh fruit and vegetables and freezing any great sales.I am also wanting to try making my own pesto, I cook a lot but have never tackled it before.I found a large basil plant at 75% off at Independant's garden center so hopefully it will be the plant that keeps on giving!!
    shopping for your grand-daughter's back to school must be so exciting and I am certain your frugal ways from shopping through the year pay off. How very luck your grand-daughter & daughter are to have you. You are a proud grandma and should be.
    Crochetlady and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    went to pita pit with my friend and she treated -I still used the coupon -we sat looked over pictures chatted it was fun-talked about our boys -she is going down east to p.e.i to see her grandparents -I told her I would love to go maybe next year -have never been down east -ohh except when I was 3 and my brother was born in fredricton
    so glad you got to go out and enjoy yourself
    Crochetlady and coupon girl like this.

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread Information