User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree291Likes

Thread: Am I the only couponer that still pays money??

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    In reality, the best way to save money is to only buy stuff that you actually need. Spending money on something you don't need, but that is "a good deal", usually actually costs more in the end. And remember, that most of the non-food items that people are getting for "free" are not actually free as they are paying tax of them.

My best tip for saving money? Don't shop (other than grocery shopping - and don't venture into the non-gorocery parts of the store). If you aren't shopping, and you don't see and item, you won't want the item, and you won't spend money.

When my step-daughter tells me how the new item of clothing or shoes she bought was a "great deal, cause it was 70% off", I remind her that she still paid the 30%. If it is a want, and not a need, there was no savings there. If it was a need, then yes, savings.
    Soooo true! Even if you paid 10 cents for something, if you don't need it or use it, it is a waster of money!

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

my grocery trips are usually averaging at $130 a week for four people (including all personal care and whatnot) or more. sometimes i spend $150 a week (now that we are eating healthier) and i coupon and price match as much as i possibly can. some weeks its less... it just depends.

so dont feel bad about spending a few bucks lol

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

first when I started couponing for a family of 4 I would spend close to $80 a week or less but I bought crap processed boxes food or unhealthy food cause there was a coupon. We all gained weight maybe 15 pounds each. Now I buy fresh meat, veggies, no box food or cookies - all the things that there are coupons for and I use coupons for cleaning stuff, hair stuff and only price match on healthy things. Now we are losing weight - went from size 12 to size 9/10 and I spend $150 or more but its worth it.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Any money in YOUR pocket is better than money in THEIR pocket

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Honestly....most people post brags that do not reflect what an average family would buy for a week's worth of groceries. I got shampoo, body wash, laundry detergent, coffee and chicken free this past week-end. I can stack and it's not every week I can or even want to do this. (You can spend a lot of time trying to score free deals if you're not careful.) I can eat the chicken and I can only drink so much coffee. As for the other items, there is a limit to how much one family can use or even store. It's easy to look like people are always saving huge amounts if they only brag about their freebies or 'almost freebies'. If you are saving money on things your family regularly uses, you are doing great. I personally like to see brags that reflect a normal grocery cart filled with a variety of healthy items.

Edit: Don't buy into the idea that "s/he who dies with the biggest stockpile wins"....it just ain't true!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwala View Post
    Love reading people's brag here but then I feel sometimes I am the only one who is spending a lot of money weekly still. Then it comes down to what you are buying a lot of the time as well. I usually buy a lot of fresh fruits, vegetables and meat every week and I have not seen coupons for them. I see a lot of coupons for junk items and I usually buy some cookies and crackers occasionally but not on regular basis. I buy a lot of butter but only once did I have coupon for that, never had coupon for milk as well. It seems like only items I use coupons on are yogurt, soap, shampoo, deodorant.
    Last edited by DianneS; Mon, Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I try to use coupons as effectively as I can, but if life gets in the way of a sale, I don't worry about it. I do brag from time to time, and I stockpile things that I can give away to Women's shelters etc. "Keeping your head on straight" is part of the coupon strategy. There are good ideas on the "Frugal Wiki" thread from people who are living frugally and sharing their ideas. We all enjoy SC the way we can. To each his own, I say!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow so many replies! I'm trying to stay balanced with this whole thing. Like, I figured out how to spend $150 at shoppers this week and make back $85 worth of points. I need to stop going, oh god I spent $150, and start going but it WOULD have been $300 and woooo $85 gained in points.
    r0c0upons and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i know people who are solidly in what i call the coupon crack stage where they eat sleep and breathe coupons i do think it's a balancing act.. i've couponed for years and years and i still have grocery bills.. i still spend easily $100 a week on day to day groceries to me couponing just stretches the budget.. i've not let myself become 100% dependent on coupons.. there are things that i refuse to buy without coupons (consumables personal care, paper/plastic, cleaners) but food.. i don't let the coupons dictate what i buy.. i let the sales dictate what i buy (and from where)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i know people who are solidly in what i call the coupon crack stage where they eat sleep and breathe coupons i do think it's a balancing act.. i've couponed for years and years and i still have grocery bills.. i still spend easily $100 a week on day to day groceries to me couponing just stretches the budget.. i've not let myself become 100% dependent on coupons.. there are things that i refuse to buy without coupons (consumables personal care, paper/plastic, cleaners) but food.. i don't let the coupons dictate what i buy.. i let the sales dictate what i buy (and from where)
    I really like this. Its really positive and healthy. I'm working on building up a stockpile, after the one I started two years ago (and have now almost completely depleted) I learned that I LOOOOVE having everything on hand right in my house. I guess reading all of those things about how building your stockpile should practically be free was just starting to get to me because it definitely costs me money. But I need to remember that stocking up at 50% off now is better than 100% full cost later.
    When did 50% off become not good enough?? Dang you Extreme Couponing!! *shakes fist*

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

At first I couponed and stockpiled like crazy but as the kids got older and moved in and out, lol I found I just wasn't going through the piles as quickly and can only give so much away before people told me to stop, haha.

Then two things happened: 1) I realized that saving $20 on a pile of toothbrushes I got for free or close to free wasn't worth not having $20 in case something more important came along especially since 3 months down the road the coupon inserts will have the exact same coupons I had frantically clipped. 2) Besides food certain items just don't work as well a year down the road. For instance there was a coupon out that was for free Stayfree Pads. Well I stocked up for sure however half way through my stash the tape on the pads no longer stuck to the panties so ended being tossed out. Body lotions smelled off too.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Love this thread. I've reached the stage where I check this site, and other coupon websites numerous times a day. I like getting free stuff, or almost free stuff, but I spend a lot on fresh fruits and veggies. Price matching helps take away the sting though. Definitely look into price matching! I definitely spend money each time though.
    Back to the stockpiling though- I am trying to remind myself that there is only so much soap and shampoo I need. Although finding great deals is awesome, and having a coupon to make it even better is so nice, it is not always worth it. Like people have mentioned, even if you save 70%, you are still paying the 30%. And the 30% could just stay in your pocket for something you really need later on. I am trying to be more aware of my purchases and have started questioning my motivation to buy certain things. I picked up a pair of jeans at old navy for 7 bucks... and will be returning them today, because I have another pair in the same colour already... Training my mind to realize that a good deal doesn't automatically mean I need to buy stuff is a work in progress.
    I have to thank you and everyone who has contributed to this thread though. It is really opening my eyes and making me see that the biggest stockpile is not a goal I need to chase and being more mindful of spending is a good idea.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

It is all so personal.

only you know what is good for you and your family.

if you are using every avenue available for saving money while maintaining your family's health then you are absolutely a winner in every way.

don't judge yourself by what some complete strangers are presenting to the world about themselves.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Great, as long as you don't go out and spend that much money on stuff you really don't need, just so you can get points. Some people get trapped that way
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanya View Post
    Wow so many replies! I'm trying to stay balanced with this whole thing. Like, I figured out how to spend $150 at shoppers this week and make back $85 worth of points. I need to stop going, oh god I spent $150, and start going but it WOULD have been $300 and woooo $85 gained in points.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have been couponing and getting discounts for some time now. I have gone from the new stage, buying everything in site because it was free or cheap!! Then buying only items that we use, but buying a lot because it was cheap!! I also didn't like to see coupons expire so I would buy things on sale, even though I had some already..I have enough shampoo to open up my own salon Lol!! Enough cleaning products to start my own home cleaning company!! My point is, when is enough,enough! I have given a lot of coupons away, I give to the food bank, I give to family members..Now I'm at the use everything I have stage..my pantry is full, freezer is full..the only thing I'm buying now is fruits, vegetables, bread and dairy..I noticed the same sales come back ever few months so there is no need to have a huge stockpile with chances of items expiring. Even though everyone says they get the item for free there's no such thing!l your time clipping,getting coupons the gas, wear and tear on the car! tires??taxes! arguing with cashiers,managers to save $1.00(sometimes).. It all costs in the end!!
    ps. I'm renovating our bathrooms I'm putting a new granite vanity and 2 sinks so I had to empty my cupboards under the sink..I threw out a big bag of garbage, shampoos, creams, samples, things I forgot I had..so, in fact I didn't really save on any of these items..I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about!!if we buy things but waste, what are we truly saving!!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Great, as long as you don't go out and spend that much money on stuff you really don't need, just so you can get points. Some people get trapped that way
    Oh no worries about that, I only stockpile things I will already need, tampon, lotion (I'm black with dry skin so I need TONS, shampoo, conditioner (also TONS), razors, body wash, deodorant and toothpaste.
    then for the house assorted cleaning supplies. I only spend large chunks of money stockpiling on special bonus points events when I'm able to really amp up the points. Otherwise it's just little bits here and there.
    i also won't buy more than can nicely fit in each catagory's closet or cupboard space in my apartment because I want everything to look sleek and elegant.

On the other hand I'm the girl that spends $200 just to buy 1 jar of face cream, 1 bottle of cleansing milk, 1 bottle of cleansing water and 1 bottle of toner, because no face wash touches my face but Dior, soooo I guess it's all relative *shrug*
    Sorry I'm heading toward the end of the overnight shift and I'm beginning to ramble like a crazy person! *facepalm*
    psbudrow and torontogal12 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information