User Tag List

Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Like Tree4165Likes

Thread: Remember to be Frugal - November Frugal Chatter

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I did get cereal today at sobeys it was 3.34-2.00 cpn=1.34 so that is super cheap

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Yes I am a full time employee labeled as Customer Service, Admin, Order Entry.

We were told the issue was there were a number of fraud cases being looked into where family business's were faking hours to allow family members who do not work for the company to collect EI. They told us it was happened most often with seasonal companies (grass cutting, snow clearing) but was not limited to those field. I believe in our case we were pro active and when we heard decided to have all of the family members working full time evaluated. We had to fill out a 50 something page questionnaire asking all sorts of questions.

In the end we were evaluated and as far as I know all of us were deemed entitled but we were also told that this is just so the government can continue to collect EI from our pay checks. If we had of been told we were not entitled they could not longer collect EI from us. I cannot remember if it was a lawyer or accountant who told my Dad this but said they had been involved in a lot of cases just like ours where the government denies claims where a family member works for the family company.

I guess ultimately who knows, we could be wrong but and have a claim go through no issues at all but as mentioned collecting EI is nothing something we are worried about. Really it comes down to if I will get Mat Leave? Because we have heard of cases where it will be denied. I would like to think I will not have an issue since I am an in office employee who can show clocking in and out for over 7 years. But you never know. Dealing with the government always makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    But SassyAshley, if you work full time and pay into EI, you're entitled to EI benefits even though you work for the family business. Is your status at your company as an employee or as an independant contractor? If you're considered an independant contractor according to EI, then you're considered to be self-employed and can't claim benefits even though you still need to be paying into it.

This is an interesting article on the ramifications of being either an employee or an independant contractor:

http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/tax...ontractor1.htm
    When my mom asked for one after I did they gave her one dirty look and than told her since we checked out together and since only one of us paid we were only entitled to one. My mom said fine next time we will break out transaction into two to which the manager told said well isn't that trying to play the system.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    I'd complain to Food Basics about not getting a rain check for both you and your mother. I mean, why would it even matter? Both of you have the right to buy their own groceries!

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    In our family it's DH's side. I have no clue what they think of me. His sister, who is less than a year older than DH, got me a "zen" machine one year. It has a square of sand that you can push around with a miniature wooden rake, a candle that you can light, and a water fountain that needs a battery to operate. If you're pregnant or a new mom, the last thing you want to hear is water running constantly because you always have to go.... He told his mom that I liked sweaters. She got me a granny sweater that was embroidered wool with gigantic flowers on the back. It was so itchy and though I washed it twice, it still smells like the animal it came from. I wore it once to a family event so she'd notice, and DH said she would probably wonder where I found such an ugly sweater. It was insufferably itchy as well. They probably all thought I had fleas!

OH MY this made my laugh because my sister wants one of those Zen things so bad. We make fun of her because she says it helps her think and she was going to be helping my Dad out for the summer because he had surgery that summer. So we keep making fun of her that the sand gave her all her answers and every time someone asked her a question she would have to rake her sand and the sand would give them an answer. Yes we are that family. We mock each other so much but we have always done it.

I got a rain check last week. It was horrible. I went to one cashier who said they had to check to see if they had the item in back. An employee came out and scoured the entire store with me. No stock. They then told me that I had to see the cashier in the express aisle to get the rain check. Waited again in the express aisle. She said she had to call someone to verify. Then, she had to call the manager to see if a rain check could be issued. I waited again. Another girl came out to get the manager to sign the rain check, only valid for that location and only for 14 days. I waited 40 minutes to save a whole $0.20, which I probably could have found in a shopping cart in the parking lot. I probably wouldn't have been so unimpressed if LO wasn't waiting at home for milk. There wasn't even a spot for it on the shelf so I'm not holding my breath that they'll even get the item in. Never again. At least at RCSS, the rain check is valid for 30 days, and if it isn't, they'll renew it for me.
    Yeah, I think I will stick to Price Matching Food Basics at Wal-Mart or RCSS. I was so not impressed with how they handle Rain Checks, it looks like a great program and maybe if they change it, it can be but right now it sucks. I get limits, I get expiry dates but I have never seen a store with a limit so low and such a short expiry. The first thing my Mom said when I saw the expiry date and pointed it out to her she said yeah I see how this will work they will just make sure they do not have stock for 2 weeks and therefore not have to honour the rain check.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

You can give 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) a call. Not only did they calculate my mat leave pay to the dollar for me, they advised me on how to schedule mat leave so I wouldn't lose accumulated vacation time at my work.

We're at $102 this week for a family of three, and one of us is on a strictly liquid diet. I have no idea how you manage to keep your food costs so low.

I don't know about everyone else, but I find Walmart super expensive ever since I moved beside one a few years ago. They almost never have the lowest price, and I end up having to PM everything I came to buy. The other day, I went in to buy ink for the printer. The regular price at Staples is cheaper, but it's not an advertised price, so I couldn't PM.

The clothes at WM are really ill-fitting on me. I find I have better luck at places like Old Navy, where they have several different fits. Would they have your size? I lucked out and found one pair of jeans for myself for $4.94, but can typically find jeans for DH for around $19.99. I love the free shipping over $50 and the post office is right around the corner. Nothing beats having clothes delivered to your door to try on, and returns are oh so easy!

I couldn't find one Saturday or Sunday at my local RCSS.

We didn't buy a couch, but we have purchased other furniture there. The furniture has nice design or aesthetics, but it's not sturdy, and it's almost always has a thin, easily scratched veneer. If I ever buy dark furniture there, I will also buy a few dark coloured markers. I find the furniture built well enough for thin, Swedish people, but not for people with heavier builds, or kids who like to jump on furniture. I still like Ikea furniture, but DH hates the look, and the quality.
    I find the furniture built well enough for thin, Swedish people, but not for people with heavier builds
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Not sure if everyone knows this but I was able to cash in my PC plus points today at No Frills-they just swiped my PC master card to see how many I could redeem-not sure how that would work if you just have the PC plus card instead of the master card but you could always ask.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    OH MY this made my laugh because my sister wants one of those Zen things so bad. We make fun of her because she says it helps her think and she was going to be helping my Dad out for the summer because he had surgery that summer. So we keep making fun of her that the sand gave her all her answers and every time someone asked her a question she would have to rake her sand and the sand would give them an answer. Yes we are that family. We mock each other so much but we have always done it.
    Send her on over! I want her to have this zen machine so bad.... It's completely new in a brand new box. I was thinking of putting it on kijiji to see if anyone would want it. I'll even trade it for a good coupon. Ha ha!

Know anyone who wants a gold clock with those spinny things in the bottom? DH's sister also got us one of those as well. When I was growing up, my dad collected all sorts of clocks. There were two clocks on the VCR, a mantle clock, a cuckoo clock that chimed every hour, a shelf clock, and a wall clock - and this was in the same room! The sound of seconds ticking away were endless. It's not that I don't like clocks, I just really enjoy the sound of silence now. I also enjoy not knowing what time it is.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Not sure if everyone knows this but I was able to cash in my PC plus points today at No Frills-they just swiped my PC master card to see how many I could redeem-not sure how that would work if you just have the PC plus card instead of the master card but you could always ask.
    They scan the bar code. If you register your card online, you can decide which of the cards (key tags or main card) you want to have redeeming or collecting options.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I would not even want to know her answer, sometimes my sister can be a little dramatic and yeah um well how do I say this quite regularly I ask her how she gets out of bed every day and does not spend her days rocking in the corner. I love her but some of the stuff she remembers is like really seriously so this may bring up a bad memory for all I know and next thing you know she is off being dramatic on how her life sucked.

Send her on over! I want her to have this zen machine so bad.... It's completely new in a brand new box. I was thinking of putting it on kijiji to see if anyone would want it. I'll even trade it for a good coupon. Ha ha!

Know anyone who wants a gold clock with those spinny things in the bottom? DH's sister also got us one of those as well. When I was growing up, my dad collected all sorts of clocks. There were two clocks on the VCR, a mantle clock, a cuckoo clock that chimed every hour, a shelf clock, and a wall clock - and this was in the same room! The sound of seconds ticking away were endless. It's not that I don't like clocks, I just really enjoy the sound of silence now. I also enjoy not knowing what time it is.

They scan the bar code. If you register your card online, you can decide which of the cards (key tags or main card) you want to have redeeming or collecting options.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Currently sitting at work, I took a shift for a co worker and needless to say it is dead around here today. As soon as the cold and snow flies we slow down.

I am hoping to go grocery shopping after work but it will all depend on the weather, we just had a snow squall come through which did not make me happy. I am so not a winter person. Looks like this week might be a bit of a stock up week for a us a lot of things that we do not need right now but they have long expiry dates so they can go into the stockpile to make sure later I will not have to pay full price for them.

Kind of wishing I was at home right now wrapped in a blanket with a hot cup of tea watching something on PVR (I am so far behind on my shows), but on that note just over 2 hours and I am done work.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Kind of wishing I was at home right now wrapped in a blanket with a hot cup of tea watching something on PVR (I am so far behind on my shows), but on that note just over 2 hours and I am done work.
    Speaking of TV, I miss shows like Corrie Street that have Christmas decorations in the background.... I haven't seen that show for years.

Right now, we're watching old episodes of Heroes (don't tell me what happens) and DH is watching Walking Dead while I feed LO. Ick!

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Good Morning Cold here today but the sun is out. Supper slippery on the roads yesterday with fresh snow over ice sooooooo might be a good day to continue on with coupon sorting Laundry in, Kitchen cleaned and Chile waiting in the fridge, with a tossed salad and garlic bread for supper. Love Chile the next day warmed up and poured over a large plate of tossed salad with a big spoonful of sourcream on top. I know...I know....my family used to think it was gross till they tried it. Now they are believers it is really good. Just like a Taco Salad I told them minus the Taco Just figured it was a bit healthier. Anyway....have a good day everyone
    Natalka, lilo0003, cath007 and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Scottishgal-that reminds me at my daughters volleyball tournament the other day the host school was serving something they called taco in a bag for $3 which I had never heard of. It was a small bag of Doritos opened on the side with a scoop of taco meat, grated cheese, lettuce, salsa and sour cream added-you just ate out of the bag with a plastic fork. I thought it was quite a clever thing to serve and probably had a bit more nutrition in it than a hot dog!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

good MORNING all, hope everyone is doing well!

i have been tracking my spending, saving and debt repayment for a year. In all honesty month to month it never feels like we're doing better or any such thing and a few times we ended up with larger bills i ended up dipping into savings for. So when i looked at my debt/asset/net worth spreadsheet and compared this month to last December i was actually surprised to see that i actually managed to have 400 more in savings and that over the course of the year between payments and debt forgiveness of 8000 dollars from my grandma....my debt has reduced just over 18000 dollars.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Wow great debt reduction-tracking your spending is really helpful in knowing where you are spending and seeing your debt go down or your savings go up even a little each year can be motivating to stay on track-my hubby tracks our spending on a spreadsheet too and I can see that even though I retired almost 4 years ago our net worth is higher-either our investments have gone up or our income is higher than our spending or both. Anyway it is reassuring to know that even though I no longer have a salary, other income sources such as pensions etc are meeting our needs.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

For now it is supper time and tomorrow I hope to find 2$ off vh steamers coupons and some Christmas coupons,I have a lots to update when I will have the TIME lol maybe after supper.Today was,draining,with discussion and bring in the past years,someone dont understand even if I bring 10 times the same point,ugh that drive me nut...
    Last edited by cath007; Sat, Nov 23rd, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I listened at CBC last night Market Place and they where comparing price between Canada and US,I was speachless by the difference of money for the same thing and ended up frustrated to paid more,so HELLO coupons at least.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Good Evening! I have been seeing all your posts from these many days but didn't post anything. I stood on and only spend in $250t till now as last month was too expensive as my credit card hit $3000+ due to my old car repair, sons birthday in cineplex etc and almost I went into depressing mood but when I saw this thread hopes grew. I then decided to face this situation by pacifying myself saying you are not alone in this world . Today I redeemed 3600pints in SDM and bought Philips Sonicare Essence 2pk to gift DH and I paid tax only by using smartsource printable. I m using Buitoni pizza for dinner bought using PCplus. Thank You all.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast

Thread Information