User Tag List

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree531Likes

Thread: What’s in Your Crock-Pot??? The 2014 Thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    I'm trying cream of celery soup. I don't think I can make it any cheaper than Campbell's, but probably a lot healthier.
    I've never made this one, but I've heard it makes good soup!
    http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...e-sos-mix.html
    Angela273, kazm-l, cath007 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Verdict on the beer chicken. The youngest (the one that helped me make it) didn't like it but everyone else did! Think next time I will use the same stuff but use chicken stock instead of beer and see if little one likes it that way instead
    Angela273, Zonny, cath007 and 2 others like this.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Verdict on the beer chicken. The youngest (the one that helped me make it) didn't like it but everyone else did! Think next time I will use the same stuff but use chicken stock instead of beer and see if little one likes it that way instead
    Thanks for the feedback!!! I still want to try this recipe as it did win awards but I think I might use the Guinness beer suggested. Like Zonny, I absolutely hate the stuff and refuse to drink it, but I could see how a dark beer would add flavour and a darker colour to the dish being in the crock for 5 hours or so. How long did you leave it in for out of curiosity? Thanks again for sharing, I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Snow In Summer; Tue, Mar 4th, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
    Angela273 and cath007 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow In Summer View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!!! I still want to try this recipe as it did win awards but I think I might use the Guinness beer suggested. Like Zonny, I absolutely hate the stuff and refuse to drink it, but I could see how a dark beer would add flavour and a darker colour to the dish being in the crock for 5 hours or so. How long did you leave it in for out of curiosity? Thanks again for sharing, I really appreciate it!
    I have had food in restaurants that contains Guiness, tastes fine. The stuff straight out the can, blech! Chicken, I wouldn't leave it in the crock for more than six hours, especially if you use breasts. I find that thighs have more 'staying power' and don't dry out as quickly. Put them in frozen if you're going to be out longer, or cook overnight and get up early to turn it off.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I have had food in restaurants that contains Guiness, tastes fine. The stuff straight out the can, blech! Chicken, I wouldn't leave it in the crock for more than six hours, especially if you use breasts. I find that thighs have more 'staying power' and don't dry out as quickly. Put them in frozen if you're going to be out longer, or cook overnight and get up early to turn it off.
    I like seeing through my glass of beer thank you!!! I won't drink the stuff even if you paid me too! I will buy one can to cook with though. So if I cut the recipe in half (as I am only one person) using frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast how long do you think I should leave it in the crock-pot for?
    Zonny and cath007 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I like seeing through my glass of beer thank you!!! I won't drink the stuff even if you paid me too! I will buy one can to cook with though. So if I cut the recipe in half (as I am only one person) using frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast how long do you think I should leave it in the crock-pot for?
    I'm with you on the beer! But that stuff isn't beer. My DH likes it sometimes, and I will occasionally take a sip, but always regret it!

There are some factors to consider with crockpots. I know all three of mine quite well now. I almost NEVER cook on high; if I'm cooking on high, might as well just put it on the stove. The point of a slow cooker is to cook slowly.

If you cut the recipe in half, you should have a fairly small crockpot. They work best if they're at least 1/2 full, preferably more. Some crockpots cook hotter than others too. I've even heard of people burning stuff in the crockpot, I think from a combination of not enough stuff in it and it being one that runs hot. And what would you do with the rest of that foul Guiness? Surely not drink it!

I'd recommend cooking the full recipe and freeze the leftovers or invite friends over if there's too much there. In my experience, cooked chicken freezes fairly well. Cook it for about six hours for big pieces like breasts, maybe another hour if you're using frozen meat, but if you're able to, check it after that much time and see what state it's in. I like using bone-in chicken (no skin to cut fat), I think it adds a bit more flavour and it's not hard to remove the bones if you're using breasts or thighs (the bones are big enough to easily pull out of crocked chicken as it's normally falling apart). Besides, meat with bones is normally cheaper!

Happy crocking!
    Last edited by Zonny; Tue, Mar 4th, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
    cath007 and Snow In Summer like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I put them on slow for 8 hours as that is the lowest mine does (other then high) They were fairly large breasts. Honestly I seem to cook everything on low for 8 hours lol
    Zonny, cath007 and Snow In Summer like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

For us today, potato soup back in the crock. I also plan to do a soup on Friday, probably tortilla soup. It's my Friday off, and I have to go to the dentist in the afternoon for a filling, so will need something gentle on the mouth!
    harbie, Angela273, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am not a big fan of new recipes.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Chicken with Mott's Clamato Caesar Bacon Vodka. Don't try drinking the stuff, it's nasty, but I tried it with beef a couple of days ago and it tasted amazing. Name:  1400950581282.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  110.4 KB
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I inherited an older crock pot yesterday. I've never used one before and it sounds interesting. I'm excited to use it.
    Angela273, Zonny, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Chili. Ground beef (frozen from a sale a few weeks ago), salsa bought with a coupon, mushrooms bought with PC points, kidney beans and a teeny jar of chipotle Tabasco sauce from SampleSource. Name:  1405144629414.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  114.4 KB

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Name:  1407711957410.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  81.7 KBChicken in the baby crock pot, topped with onions cooked in bacon grease, bacon strips and chicken stock. Will be mixed with Kraft Philly cooking creme and parsley just before serving on noodles or rice, still undecided. It's cooking overnight to be finished for tomorrow's dinner. Doesn't sound healthy at all, does it. Will post photos when completed.
    Last edited by Durham Couponer; Sun, Aug 10th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

made stew and spaghetti sauce yesterday. had enough done for 6 meals, after eating.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Guess I should start watching this thread! It will be crock pot time for me soon. Hopefully the boys will enjoy it more this year.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information