User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: Is your hair different???

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Is your hair different? Do you notice that as your aging your hair is changing? Do you dye it...men to...

My hair was always poker straight and fine, but I had lots of it, very slow growing though. I've lost it all a few times. The first time, it grew back in, more thinly though, still pretty fine with some areas a little more coarse. Last time, it grew back in, but extremely thin....I have a few bald spots so I NEED a mirror every day. It's not so bad that I need a comb-over but, I need to watch how I style it. When my dd's were small, I would braid their hair for them. I've braided mine a few times, if my arms will allow, but it's tough. This is the best I can do these days, and I have to move the hair around and plaster the hairspray to make it hold.

Name:  20140823_100906.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  20140823_100948.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  20140823_101104.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  45.3 KB

See the bald patches!!!! Very frustrating.

Then there's the dreaded dye. Each time I do it, I worry that it will all fall out again. This time, when it grew back in, it's grown pretty fast, actually very fast, I'm shocked. But with the fast, comes lots of grey hairs. So today, as soon as I'm done here, I'm heading to the bathroom to dye it...yet again. Whats your worst hair issue???
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Thu, Aug 28th, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Andit, Silk, ninna and 6 others like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

heh Holly, my hair is different.. i'm sure you've seen pics. the short grey hair pics. i used to have long brown hair, with LOTS of grey. i started dyeing around 18 ish. then a couple of years ago after literally being at the point where i was dyeing my hair nearly weekly. i gave in.
    hardest but easiest decision.
    hardest because i would never have brown hair again(my dh misses it)
    but easiest because i wouldnt' be bending over the tub again forever to rinse out every last drop of coloring. only to do it again within a week or so.
    its so easy to maintain. wash, 'fluff' with some gel and done.
    i actually can't see your bald spots. so what. your hair is so pretty anyway.
    by the sounds of it you have some history their that makes you and your hair unique. i'd stop worrying about the coloring. embrace it.
    you will find life so much easier to deal with when your worried about someone looking at your hair/hair color/roots/etc.
    i find the ONLY thing i have to deal with is ok TWO things. getting my hair cut more frequently i guess it goes without saying if i was dyeing new growth every few weeks, im cutting the same.
    and the 'impression' people have of me.
    buses are lowered cuz im 'older', i get Mam alot and people thing your too old to do things.
    thats ok im kinda enjoying the doors being opened, the lower buses and the 'can i help you with that' makes my life easier.
    anyway... are you still enjoying life on the road.. looks like a beautiful RV.
    Mia001, Andit, Natalka and 8 others like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My hair is different in that it has not been dyed, chemically treated and I do not use hair dryers ect. I will use a straightener but very rarely. It is very long and warm though. It is just past my waist. Cannot let it go, lol. No grey hair yet but soon I'm sure.
    Last edited by TooCouponCrazy; Thu, Aug 28th, 2014 at 12:45 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh I can't see any bald spots Holly. You have an adorable little hairdo.
    abbasgirl, Mia001, Natalka and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

When I was little, I had very thick hair. Then years of being on hormones (insulin) made it thin and now years of being on steroids (prednisone for the transplant) had made it even thinner. On the plus side, I have very few grey hairs (never dyed it). Guess I'm lucky that at 46 I still look sorta young, I only get called ma'am if I'm carrying a cane.

btw, I love that dress, you look great! And if you're really self-conscious, hats are in again. A friend just retired and how he's enjoying the quiet life by wandering around his neighbourhood in a fedora (he's a bit eccentric, but fun nonetheless).
    Mia001, Natalka, Silk and 6 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a fair bit of grey but have never dyed it. I do find that it's thinning a bit as I get older though. I have a very low-maintenance do, have had it for a year or so, doesn't even need a brush I just push my wet hair into place with my hands. I wonder if that's why it's thinning, because my scalp doesn't get that stimulation from the brush.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have long thick hair. Since my son was born 2yrs ago, my hair has been very brittle. It was fine and healthy all the way through my pregnancy, less oily than normal too. I have NEVER had an issue with brittle hair. I have short spots that are caused just from the breakage. I find it most noticeable at the base of my neck and framing my face. I have yet to find any products that will help. I stand back from the bathroom counter when I brush my hair because it really bothers me to see all the broken pieces of hairs. Any suggestions?
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCouponCrazy View Post
    My hair is different in that it has not been dyed, chemically treated and I do not use hair dryers ect. I will use a straightener but very rarely. It is very long and warm though. It is just past my waist. Cannot let it go, lol. No grey hair yet but soon I'm sure.
    I have never died or chemical treated my hair either. I don't own a hair dryer, curling iron, etc. My hair is naturally wavy. I had one hairdresser describe my hair as looking like it had been styled with a double barreled curling iron.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hair does tend thin with age for women, because of hormones.
    Mine started thinning early because of the hormone imbalance I've dealt with, having PCOS.
    My hair has always been straight and fine, but I had lots of it - no more, since my mid-30s, and I'm now 53.
    Colour is light brown, only dyed it once and used a temp rinse three decades ago.
    I have very few strands of silver, and when more comes, I won't be dyeing it.

Two of my older sisters have been stuck in the dyeing circle since their 20s. My much-more relaxed eldest sister never did that, and has a beautiful head of silver white hair.

holly, I guess you do what makes you feel good. The only thing I can suggest about the thinning is that shorter length is better.

(btw, I would love to see that top/dress - it looks so very pretty! As do you!)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had fine, wavy dark brown hair, by HAD I mean I lost it all due to chemo and its just starting to grow back, about an inch now, looks like salt and pepper, no idea what it'll be like in 6 months or so. being bald for past few months gave me a new "couldn't care less" perspective , in fact it was very easy maintenance
    strew, Natalka, Angela273 and 6 others like this.
    Please use my referral orange key code 47245085S1 for opening new Tangerine account and I will split the $50 bonus with you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carrot&hl=en JOIN CARROT REWARDS using my referral invite code dipikag5521

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by IthinkIcan View Post
    I had fine, wavy dark brown hair, by HAD I mean I lost it all due to chemo and its just starting to grow back, about an inch now, looks like salt and pepper, no idea what it'll be like in 6 months or so. being bald for past few months gave me a new "couldn't care less" perspective , in fact it was very easy maintenance
    I like your attitude about it.
    strew, Silk, hollyquaiscer and 3 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I had always dyed my hair, dark brown, cooper, blonde in recent years, even had streaks through high-school but about 8+- years ago my DD suggested I stop colouring it because it just weakens the hair and makes it brittle, hence encouraging breakage. It took a few months of shorter haircuts to get rid of all the colour, and it's a nice white/silver colour now and honestly, strangers have asked me if I dye it to get this colour!
    I think there comes a time when we have to choose between how we think we should look, vs and how healthy we want our hair to be. Mine is now just about grazing my shoulders, is fluffy, full and shiny and I'd absolutely choose this over the "old lady beige" I had been dyeing it! Who was I kidding, anyway!? Lol!
    Natalka, Silk, Angela273 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I used to have thick brown hair, but now I notice my hair is thinner and some hairstyles show thin spots on my scalp. I am also noticing more white hairs (which stick out like crazy against my dark brown hair) but am refusing to color my hair. I know it would appear thicker if I cut some of it off (its down to my waist) but I love having this length... maybe in a few years I'll chop off a foot or so, but right now, even with the thin hair, Im not interested.

Im not sure if its to do with my age (Im 44) or with the meds I am on (for my under active thyroid, high bp, and arthritis).
    Natalka, Silk, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My natural hair color is medium-dark brown and straight. I have fine hair but lot's of it. When I was younger, I would dye it reddish brown but never bleached it. I've had my share of hair disasters. Stylists chopping too much off, chemically straightened a perm growing out that led to strands of hair falling out, and a highlight disaster. Remember the spiral perms in the 90's? I had those too.

Approximately 5 years I started to notice grey twinkles here and there near my roots. From my ears downwards my hair now has a slight natural wave. I have a low thyroid (on medication) and noticed my hair somewhat drier. I own a curling iron, flat iron, hair dryer, velcro rollers etc. However I try not to use heating appliances all the time. I dye my hair close to my natural color, mainly root touch ups, to cover up those gray twinkles.
    Last edited by toban; Fri, Aug 29th, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Natalka, Silk, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Yeah, you guys are probably all right. I should just quit dying it, but I'm not really sure how much grey would be there, or how much mouse blonde it would be There are way more important things in life. When I had no hair, I had the most stylish/fancy hats and wraps you ever saw. My dd's would "fix me up nice with makeup and a head piece" sort of like dress-up they would say... My hair is importatnt to me, I know it's weird, but when you loose something, then get it back, it's nice. I like to style it, but its getting so much harder as I get older. My hands make it tough in the mornings do do much more that brush it and put in up in pony or something similar.

But what would I do with all that time every month or so if I gave up dying it lets see, I could watch a movie, make a loaf of bread for dh, have a nap...yes I like that one, HAVE A NAP, sound nice too eh, a nice ring to it.
    Silk, Lynn49, ninna and 4 others like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information