User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

All bins in my area are not on private property, bins are placed in Municipal Road allowances for pick up. My municipality does not have a by-law against it and most people shred any personal info anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AKE View Post
    People are saying this is a great thread...it should be removed. This should not be encouraged!
    I don't know what bins you are referring to...but this post implies that you're going around your own neighborhood - any bin on private property - yes in front of someone's house, even in their back alley is off limits.
    Before you get into it with me about once it's thrown out it's fair game...go read your city bylaws! And go search many of the other posts where people have talked about this. It's called scavenging, and it is illegal and you can get fined for it.
    Not to mention it is not very neighborly to be going through someone else's 'trash'.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i have never had the guts to do a recycling walk yet, i was hoping to do my first this sunday night. i always hear about all the great finds everyone has!! i live in a small town where couponing isnt overly popular and most people here dont waste their time with it.

i honestly believe that nobody should be putting personal info papers in their recycling. once it is on the curb, anyone can go thru it! if you dont want people seeing your personal info you should def shred it!! some people obviously need to be more careful about throwing away items that have personal info on it, including account numbers and such. its a way identity theft occurs, do you really want some random to be able to verify your account over the phone? if you dont want someone going thru your recycling bins, then the only option you have is to bring it to the dump yourself and use their big bins. if not, there isnt anything you can do to stop people from going thru your recycling!

i dont think anyone should be told that they arent allowed to look for coupons this way! if someone throws it in the recycling, then they obviously dont want it, so its free for anyone to take. it isnt illegal to grab papers out of someones recycling bins, just like it isnt illegal that the man that walks around town with a shopping cart grabs empties to make a few bucks.

i think that some people get over-opinionated for no reason. you dont have to agree with what you're reading, but just because its something that you personally dont do, doesnt mean it should be frowned upon!

CrazyCatLady
    Trading Score
    100 (100%)

Yes, all personal info should be shredded.
    The rule that I understand is that if the recycling is in a closed bin (as it is in Toronto), it is illegal to open and remove, but if the bins are the 'open-top' variety (as in most of the rest of Ontario), and placed at the curb, they are available for 'rifling'.

And yes people, common sense says that we leave the bins as neat (or neater) than we when we started.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I go weekly with my son. He thinks it is a fantastic treasure hunt. Mostly we just look for the obvious, I still feel awkward and don't want to be digging thru someone's bins. We look primarily for icoke caps, but always keep your eyes on cereal boxes (often coupons get left on them).
    As for bringing things... I have my 2 yr old on his push trike and I keep a reusable grocery bag on the handle for my finds. But I also make sure to have a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me.
    Just a few helpful tips! I am sure there are many more. Enjoy it, it may seem weird but it's fun. A treasure hunt for grown-ups with surprising rewards!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is my understanding that sidewalks - (where recycle bins are put out for garbage day) are city property

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (85%)

Maybe take scissors? That way you can cut out the coupons easily
    I am looking for many fpc coupons and willing to trade gift cards - especially stouffers and fresh produce. The expiry dates must be at least 1 month away. I'm also looking for betty crocker, pillsbury, philadelphia, nexxus, $3 beef, icecream, beans. I prefer large trades but have few coupons to trade.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

we personaly just take the cereal box or any other box with any other cpns on it, home and then cut it out. This way wea re not standing around the bins while fiddling and cutting out a cpn.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/29636...6361680429066/
    Join Calgary Coupon Stacking Club Face Book page, for great info all about stacking your savings back into your pockets.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I do the same thing too! Just with my DH he doesnt have a push trike tho (Im sure he wish he had one, says i walk to much lol)

Quote Originally Posted by myawall View Post
    I go weekly with my son. He thinks it is a fantastic treasure hunt. Mostly we just look for the obvious, I still feel awkward and don't want to be digging thru someone's bins. We look primarily for icoke caps, but always keep your eyes on cereal boxes (often coupons get left on them).
    As for bringing things... I have my 2 yr old on his push trike and I keep a reusable grocery bag on the handle for my finds. But I also make sure to have a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me.
    Just a few helpful tips! I am sure there are many more. Enjoy it, it may seem weird but it's fun. A treasure hunt for grown-ups with surprising rewards!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

what time of the day do you usually do this at? and have you ever had people shoo you away or stare at you through their window haha?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Im hoping to start doing this too.
    Thanks for posting all the great tips!
    Wanna get paid giftcards and Paypal cash? Join Swagbucks right now!
    Don't you want free giftcards, prizes and money just for clicking?
    I've earned $180! Join Superpoints today

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Theres coupons for yogurt inside astro yogurt box cover

Trading Score
    221 (100%)

That is incorrect!!!! I contacted my city 2 yrs ago when I started doing this and they said as long as it's at the curb I can take it. They said anyhing on property is not ok and is theft and tresspasing but at the curb is fine. So as I called so long ago I called to verify on friday and same thing!!!!!!! All cities and provinces are different so please don't assume b/c you can't do it we all cant!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKE View Post
    People are saying this is a great thread...it should be removed. This should not be encouraged!
    I don't know what bins you are referring to...but this post implies that you're going around your own neighborhood - any bin on private property - yes in front of someone's house, even in their back alley is off limits.
    Before you get into it with me about once it's thrown out it's fair game...go read your city bylaws! And go search many of the other posts where people have talked about this. It's called scavenging, and it is illegal and you can get fined for it.
    Not to mention it is not very neighborly to be going through someone else's 'trash'.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

yep what she said. as long as you are not removing anything of 'profit' to the city like cans /bottles and such. your all good.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    221 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    yep what she said. as long as you are not removing anything of 'profit' to the city like cans /bottles and such. your all good.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Two more days until the next recycle walk...bring on more gas cards please!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information