User Tag List

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree661Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Will Target leave Canada in 2015? Yes.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I love shopping at Target but find the advertised stuff is never in stock which is so frustrating.

The bedding is superior to China-mart as I call Walmart (or Walfart). I have noticed that some prices are higher in Walmart - you really have to compare.

I really hope Target stays as I do like them but I really miss Zellers - I still have clothing from them that I love. Walmart clothing is cheap in quality. And we really do not have alot of choice any more will all of these retailers closing....
    Ciel, coupon girl and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I think Target came in too big and too fast. I think they should've opened fewer stores from the get go. Coming in all gunz blazing wasn't a smart move in my opinion. Test the waters first. Make sure the need is there then open more stores.
    barbis9, Ciel, GoJays and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Target has been amazing for me and my DD's school. I have been able to get TONS of stuff but my Targets suffer from empty shelf syndrome and low client volume. It may not help that they are literally 1.5KM apart from each other. That may not have been a great move.

I would die if they left
    dont die patty we would miss you! But I know what you mean...I am having heart palpitations at the thought. I love love love target. I have gotten so many great deals, the store is always clean and organized, the staff are great, there is Starbucks, love the threshold sheets, toy clearance, clothing clearance. We sponsor a family at Christmas and I have been able to get way more things for my money to support them. I would be really upset if I they left town. The us store is less than an hour from my house but while I have gotten some good deals there I have gotten way better deals here. Don't leave me Target...please don't leave me! Lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a bunch of new Christmas tree decorations in November 2014 at Target. Very nice decorations, good sales too. Stores are clean, staff are helpful. I never see the store packed except Friday, Saturday and Christmas. I really wish they would set up online shopping for Target Canada. With so many people purchasing online that could boost their sales.
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

A local radio station I follow on Facebook posed the question: "would you care if Target left Canada?".

It amazed me how many people said no and that they hate Target.

It may just be that the most vocal are the most negative but I am shocked at the hatred towards Target. I cannot figure it out. All the "bring back Zellers" comments are unrealistic to me, as well as, the negative "American company" comments. Wal-Mart's American and people have been shopping there for years.

I'm happy Wal-mart has competition. I wish they had more!

I'm hopeful that Target has had time to better adjust their stock (both in terms of making sure stock is on hand for sales and that excessive amounts are not left over after holidays). Hopefully that will make a decent impact on their bottom line.

Also hiring an amazing PR team to try and shed the negative image people have of them (especially re Zellers).

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

At this point I would not miss Target if they left because as it stands now I have to drive out of my way to get to the only one I have shopped at. That being said they better not leave until I have used up my 2 x $25.00 GC's that my RBC Visa card rewarded me with!!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    That being said they better not leave until I have used up my 2 x $25.00 GC's that my RBC Visa card rewarded me with!!
    Ciel, walkonby and toronto166 like this.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

No online ordering is really dismal in 2015. Even walmart.ca isn't great for online ordering (no gift card use) but has gotten better over time. Walmart can afford that..

I remember when zellers ended it's online ordering.. it was a sad day.. I think target can/should stay but it needs to fully invest itself rather than being on the fence all the time
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i will be super sad to see target go.. i like target i find their products hold up better they have more style to them i can't buy my kid clothing at walmart because it never fits her right (she's a tall stick of a kid.. if i buy her a size 6 shirt it's swimming on her you could fit 2 of her in it but i can find her shirts at target, same goes for dresses and jackets)

i find their regular prices for basics on a similar level to walmart and their sales better.. walmart would never have a 50% off all socks and tights sale (or PJs or any clothing items) where target would.. target does BOGO on kids toys where walmart wouldn't even fathom that idea!

walmart calls marking a clothing item down by a buck a clearance price where target is a solid markdown of 30/50/70% off

and the biggest thing when i go to target i feel like a customer.. like i'm wanted there.. where when i go to walmart i feel like a number... and a crappy number at that (some days i feel like walmart is an abusive bad relationship... you can't find parking (or expect to get your car dented) then we herd in like animals get pushed and shoved into a store that is often a bit of a mess, get sub par service if you can get service at all god forbid a shelf is empty and you ask them to look in the back if they have more or something, then they shove us all through the tills where they try to upsell us a credit card or hit us up for the walmart charity then they send you off without a smile and start in on the person behind you before you've even got your bag in the cart)
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i do agree that they need to find a new PR team.. they need to get into the communities they are in and start doing positive PR.. and they need to have an OFFICIAL opening i have yet to see anything where it's balloons and promos marking the date of the grand opening... it was one of those thing you kept hearing about.. they were doing "soft openings" with no set deals.. and when they did open store by store they didn't have any big sales happening so people went in scoffed at the prices then walked out and haven't been back and in that time they have adjusted some prices, cleaned out stagnant stock brought in new brands with the hopes they will work better... i find target evolves stock wise where walmart sits stagnant.. an example would be they have been selling the exact same kids side table lamp at walmart for 5yrs...that wouldn't happen at target.. target would go through multiple designs of that lamp to keep stock fresh... same with the toy department.. where walmart has the same fisher price toys on the shelf it did 5yrs ago.. target has cleared it out and brought in new updated stock

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i do agree that they need to find a new PR team.. they need to get into the communities they are in and start doing positive PR.. and they need to have an OFFICIAL opening i have yet to see anything where it's balloons and promos marking the date of the grand opening... it was one of those thing you kept hearing about.. they were doing "soft openings" with no set deals.. and when they did open store by store they didn't have any big sales happening so people went in scoffed at the prices then walked out and haven't been back and in that time they have adjusted some prices, cleaned out stagnant stock brought in new brands with the hopes they will work better... i find target evolves stock wise where walmart sits stagnant.. an example would be they have been selling the exact same kids side table lamp at walmart for 5yrs...that wouldn't happen at target.. target would go through multiple designs of that lamp to keep stock fresh... same with the toy department.. where walmart has the same fisher price toys on the shelf it did 5yrs ago.. target has cleared it out and brought in new updated stock
    I agree with you - better public relations would help, especially in small communities. I still hear seniors in small communities say they miss Zellers and that is why they boycott Target. Maybe a seniors discount and student discount on Wednesdays would help. Other stores do it and seem to have success.

Maybe they should have a points card in addition to their online coupons and cash register coupons. Or even Target bucks like Canadian Tire bucks, would be helpful. I think the monthly coupons in the "Hi" brochure should come back.
    barbis9, Ciel, Decaf and 1 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:28 AM.
    Patty Smyth, Lynn49, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    It's not really profitable to throw for Target to throw out perfectly good merchandise.They should leave merchandise on the shelf until sold.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    It's not really profitable to throw for Target to throw out perfectly good merchandise.They should leave merchandise on the shelf until sold.
    they are not throwing out they clearance it out to move stagnant product and keep things on rotation if a product isn't selling it's taking up prime real estate for a product that could sell and when they do sell out they bring in new styles.... for example walmart still sells the same wall paper stickers (exact ones same packaging) that i bought when my daughter was 1.. she's now 7 in all that time they have not updated the stock where target would sell the item out and bring in something new (it makes you want to come back and see what is new this season)
    Last edited by Midnightly; Fri, Jan 9th, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, lecale and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm not a good customer..I only shop at 70-90% off..or for price matching...I don't think I ever bought anything for full price..I'll miss their specials, but that's about it..

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information