User Tag List

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree2110Likes

Thread: May 2016 Frugal Chatter - ALL WELCOME

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I strongly suggest staying away from the front load washers I've heard nothing but bad things about them. The repairman says they are notorious for blowing their mother boards, they stink and other issues. Just my 2 cents but good luck
    I heard the same thing. Sadly our laundry space requirements need stackable. Bf has had a front load for 12 years that the Motor died on on Tuesday.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I think I am going to drink my troubles away .

I thought 1 part of a lower wall looked strange and then the contractor while talking about the flooring before he left said there's a bow in the wall. Yep my instincts were right, why didn't he fix it, it's all new drywall etc and obviously it's his fault, stupid ass.

Anyways I'm quite upset I was looking at the hardwood flooring we were going to use and I simply don't think it can be re-used. Here's praying that I'm wrong but after calling home depot it doesn't sound like many pieces will be re-usable unless they but against a wall and the added factor of already being short some pieces..... The flooring was original layed horizontal but it needs to be vertical...geez....can't catch a break, I think I'm going to go make an adult bevie and relax (haha).

Have a great evening everyone!
    Ciel likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I strongly suggest staying away from the front load washers I've heard nothing but bad things about them. The repairman says they are notorious for blowing their mother boards, they stink and other issues. Just my 2 cents but good luck
    And those rubber seals aren't great either. We only had ours for 1-1/2 years (of course after warranty expired) and couldn't figure out why a bit of water was leaking on the floor. We finally found a small tear in the rubber seal. To replace it was going to cost $100 just for the part!!! I went on line, picked up some plumbing goop and a tire patch and sealed it. Still fine after a year. I agree - I'd go with a top loader any day.
    saundyl, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    And those rubber seals aren't great either. We only had ours for 1-1/2 years (of course after warranty expired) and couldn't figure out why a bit of water was leaking on the floor. We finally found a small tear in the rubber seal. To replace it was going to cost $100 just for the part!!! I went on line, picked up some plumbing goop and a tire patch and sealed it. Still fine after a year. I agree - I'd go with a top loader any day.
    The one we have bf had the door replaced once because the lock broke...and i got quite a lecture once on closing it entirely because it would stink up if sealed empty. Hes very opinionated on the washer thing im choosing my battle andhe canfix it if tge new stuff breaks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Grand mother died this yesterday night
    Oh, dear cath007, your grandmere! You loved her so much and cared for her. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    jasperandchar likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I am so stressed about the budget. DH has mentioned the possibility of a second car, but I've looked at the numbers. Besides the expense and insurance of a new car, his workplace has been making him purchase a lot out of his own funds. I haven't added it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if $10,000 has disappeared out of our after-tax income. Approximately half of it comes back, but the other half, POOF! I'm supporting our family of three on my income, but that means no retirement savings, no emergency fund savings, no car savings, etc.

Then, if I lose my job, we'll probably have to consider moving close to his job. He's tried searching for a new job, but just doesn't seem to be competitive in his qualifications in the big city, education wise. He has the experience, but everyone seems to screen for the education on the resume. Or some other reason.

I really don't want to sell our house and move up north. That's a whole other expense in itself, but would save the 4 hour commute for DH. The countdown to retirement begins....
    I know you have your mother in your province. But would you and DH be considering a move to Ontario if work opportunities exist? That employer of DH's is certainly taking advantage.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did the Sew Hungry trip and stuck to having one item-the chimney cake! Managed to get on a bus just before transfer expired and I was near the college, so I am having my Internet time.

Early today, a relation indicated that a US relative had passed yesterday. Since I found two nickels yesterday evening, I think one relates to her passing and the other relates to someone I knew online who had passed (I met someone from the same community by chance yesterday). The grief dreams talk two weeks ago (dimes are often seen as signs of the deceased letting one know they are in touch) made me aware of dimes' significance-I was finding them occasionally on walks but did not know the connection.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Well have to pipe in on the laundry.

I did a lot of research 2 years ago (I am sure everything has changed) when we bought. For front loaders Samsung had great reviews but they are also more $$$. Since I couldn't afford a good front loader we got a HE top loader, Whirlpool. Both my mom and I have Whirlpools and no issues. We also bought the extended warranty. Appliances that use water seem to lemon more so than other things. It will probably go on year 7 when the warranty is up, but if it doesn't I am protected.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Did the Sew Hungry trip and stuck to having one item-the chimney cake! Managed to get on a bus just before transfer expired and I was near the college, so I am having my Internet time.

Early today, a relation indicated that a US relative had passed yesterday. Since I found two nickels yesterday evening, I think one relates to her passing and the other relates to someone I knew online who had passed (I met someone from the same community by chance yesterday). The grief dreams talk two weeks ago (dimes are often seen as signs of the deceased letting one know they are in touch) made me aware of dimes' significance-I was finding them occasionally on walks but did not know the connection.
    very intruiging
    SassyAshley likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Well have to pipe in on the laundry.

I did a lot of research 2 years ago (I am sure everything has changed) when we bought. For front loaders Samsung had great reviews but they are also more $$$. Since I couldn't afford a good front loader we got a HE top loader, Whirlpool. Both my mom and I have Whirlpools and no issues. We also bought the extended warranty. Appliances that use water seem to lemon more so than other things. It will probably go on year 7 when the warranty is up, but if it doesn't I am protected.
    you have a 7 year warranty that is unheard of these day, great for you though
    SassyAshley likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well dh & I had a long chat and he will be calling the contractor tomorrow am to let him know we no longer need him.

Our sub-floor throughout the house is wide planked floor so we have decided to stain it and live with them until we mill our own boards over the summer. We both love the wide planks so it's win win.

We'll be running out to Home Depot tomorrow morning to pickup supplies for the floor and do a few errands for much needed groceries. I'm going to load up on the chicken on sale at Freshco $1.77lbs and do a sdm shop for the usual items I purchase there.

We are hoping to get 1 coat on the floor tomorrow am and if drying time permits a 2nd coat, if we can't apply the 2nd coat late Saturday then I will apply it on Sunday and when dh arrives home on Monday we will move the bed in and I will move what I can throughout the day....
    SassyAshley likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Nancy I think letting the contractor go might be the best idea, sounds like he might need to re exam the line of work he is but if he gets away with it you see why it continues.

Busy morning so far, looks like we are going to be playing around the cars at work. Mine needs to go in for service so I am taking a different car but Dad does not want to interrupt my travel schedule so I will be using whatever car is available so I have been cleaning my car out. Last night I cleaned out all garbage and stuff out, with all my travelling lately everything ends up in my car. I also tried to vacuum it last night but the local car wash all the vacuums were out of order so I found a place a little further away and went this morning and did that. Now I just need to wipe out the interior.

I also have laundry going, I missed doing it last week so there is a lot to be done. The kitchen is a disaster apparently we aren't doing dishes again. Someone is in an I hate my life, I don't want to do anything phase. Life always fun.
    coupon girl likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-gonna cut the back lawn today -as we may get a bit of rain this afternoon
    -just donated a small amount to fort mcmurray(thru t.d bank)-gee we are all Canadians -we need to be there for one another -I was born outwest in Manitoba also -heard the government is matching and t.d is matching a certain amount too
    -gonna do a load and hang it out -then maybe off to the library to get my book I had on hold
    -cant wait til sunday -it will be a special mother's day for sure for me -cant wait to find out what gender my daughter is having
    -gonna be nice weather today high of 20C

-nancy maybe that is the right thing to do for you letting the contractor go -we had a new shower and ceramic tiles put in our bathroom upstairs 3 years ago and no contract either as we wished to save money and the guy was referred by one of hubby's co-workers-well he didn't put the plumbing together right in behind the walls and it leaked for months over top my dining room ceiling -so we had to do ceiling over fix the plumbing - we had hubby's brother help out -I paid him extra too for helping (sh** happens in life just wanted you to know it happens to a lot of people ) we couldnt get ahold of the guy either

-I must say thou the beautifull deck hubby did last year that took 3 months has a few tiny flaws but you dont notice them and staining well that almost caused a huge meltdown in our marriage -but hey a professional deck would have cost double or more what we paid -ahhh life in a home fun eh
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sat, May 7th, 2016 at 09:57 AM.
    Natalka and jasperandchar like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Ladies I need your advice, as I have mentioned money is an issue lately, I cannot get our budget to balance. I am fortune that I do have an emergency fund and money tucked away. My issue is I feel we need live within what we make and we cannot just keep spending the emergency money and bailing ourselves out because let's face it I have no way to build our emergency fund back up.

Mom feels we are in an emergency with her hours and we need to start using this money but I am worried there is no end in sight to our current situation and no we cannot use the money unless there is an emergency (ie an appliance breaking, something that is unforeseen). Mom is now getting mad at me when I say we are out of money and says I have money I am just not willing to spend.

I currently take my pay and budget it out and this is what we need to live off. Yes there are times that are tight right now until my next pay the only groceries we are buying are Milk, Bread and I grabbed some fruit but we aren't going hungry we just don;t have all the option we used to have. Am I being unreasonable?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Nancy I think letting the contractor go might be the best idea, sounds like he might need to re exam the line of work he is but if he gets away with it you see why it continues.

Busy morning so far, looks like we are going to be playing around the cars at work. Mine needs to go in for service so I am taking a different car but Dad does not want to interrupt my travel schedule so I will be using whatever car is available so I have been cleaning my car out. Last night I cleaned out all garbage and stuff out, with all my travelling lately everything ends up in my car. I also tried to vacuum it last night but the local car wash all the vacuums were out of order so I found a place a little further away and went this morning and did that. Now I just need to wipe out the interior.

I also have laundry going, I missed doing it last week so there is a lot to be done. The kitchen is a disaster apparently we aren't doing dishes again. Someone is in an I hate my life, I don't want to do anything phase. Life always fun.
    Go to Costco and buy the largest pack of paper plates, bowls etc,
    SassyAshley likes this.

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information