User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree550Likes

Thread: And so I am a widow

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Oh yes something i forgot. You will be entitled to a widow`s pension if you are Under 65. If over 65, you need to apply for the Supplement which is additional income over and above the usual OAS. The amount of the supplement is according to your annual income. All the above dépends on your annual income. I dont remember if it is total family income or your personal income. So much to think about. Also i suggest if you have adult children, ask them to help (if you want them to know your personal finances).
    Skippy, 22hicks, Angela273 and 5 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

So sorry for your loss
    Skippy, 22hicks, Angela273 and 8 others like this.

LIVE EVERY MIN. 2 THE MAX 22hicks's Avatar
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm so very sorry D.P.

Name:  sympathy-comment-006.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  58.9 KB

LIVE EVERY MIN. 2 THE MAX 22hicks's Avatar
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Ok, now for some practical advice. Some of what's been said is great, but some I don't agree with.

Whatever you do, DO NOT TELL YOUR BANK of his death, esp. if all your accounts are joint, at least until some details are taken care of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I lost my DH, the bank froze EVERYTHING, and cancelled ALL my credit cards, because everything was joint.
    Go 1st thing & take out as much as you can; set up an account in your own name, preferably @ a different bank.

You will need lots of death certificates, and you'll need to speak to a lawyer re: the estate, etc.
    I'm praying he left a will, and you're the Executor. If not, you're going to have problems, as the estate will go to probate. You won't have access to the accounts otherwise. No paying of bills, living expenses, nor funeral arrangements.

Get his life insurance policy started a.s.a.p. It takes about 3 months to come through. (at least it did for me)

Hydro could be a problem if it's in his name, as are the utilities. Phones, internet, etc. are relatively easy to switch to your name, but the other 2 are a royal pain.

I know there's more I should share, but I just can't think of them right now.
    Again, I'm sorry, and I DO know how you feel.
    Last edited by 22hicks; Sun, Jan 1st, 2017 at 05:11 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Very sorry for your loss Darth.

As always things are different in Quebec so advice from other provinces may not apply.

You do not necessarily need a lawyer as you can do an online will search for I believe about $25. You have to search the Quebec bar and federal I think. Once the will search is done the executor can proceed.

The funeral home will have a document with all the government agencies that need to be contacted. I found the funeral home to be my biggest help in all the confusion.

First and foremost do not advise the bank. Clear out the joint account leaving a minimal amount.

There is also the $2500 death benefit which you can apply for.

He is entitled to 1 month beyond his passing of any government benefits. I hope all the child care benefits came in your name this will make things easier.

I am truly sorry

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

IIRC...if you have Power of Attorney, you are entitled to the joint account's assets...???

This can all be so confusing; there should be somewhere on the net where a person can get up-to-date, valid information after a spouse passes, as well as information for families before that happens. But I guess that's how FPs take care of their clients personally, so that they're never left in the dark.....

I know nothing of Quebec laws, but I sincerely hope you find the advice you need, Darth.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sun, Jan 1st, 2017 at 07:02 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

(((hugs)))

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Lynn49 -Powers of Attorney, in Ontario, are only valid while the persons who issued those powers are living. Once they die, the Powers of Attorney are no longer valid.

I know @cath007 has not been posting much this month but she and a few other SCers in Quebec have some experience with family members passing and dealing with their money matters.

A financial planner I heard in spring 2016 on estate matters mentioned to get at least 25 copies of the death certificate to cover all the providers or services in need of documentation of someone's death. If @dart hPenguin has the name of a financial planner she knows or who is known to assist in estate matters, not necessarily one employed by her bank, that person might be a vital step to covering all the steps financially/legally in relation to her DH's estate. The financial planner may also have professionals in various areas s/he can recommend for specific help.

Quebec link to estate matters:
    http://www4.gouv.qc.ca/EN/Portail/Ci...cueil.aspx?pgs
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When I saw this and the other thread, I realized why @dart hPenguin had posted about wishing to hear her DH's voice (I did not know reasons why at that post). My sincere condolences on the passing of your dear husband, Darth Penguin.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

I am so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Lynn49 -Powers of Attorney, in Ontario, are only valid while the persons who issued those powers are living. Once they die, the Powers of Attorney are no longer valid.

I know @cath007 has not been posting much this month but she and a few other SCers in Quebec have some experience with family members passing and dealing with their money matters.

A financial planner I heard in spring 2016 on estate matters mentioned to get at least 25 copies of the death certificate to cover all the providers or services in need of documentation of someone's death. If @darthPenguin has the name of a financial planner she knows or who is known to assist in estate matters, not necessarily one employed by her bank, that person might be a vital step to covering all the steps financially/legally in relation to her DH's estate. The financial planner may also have professionals in various areas s/he can recommend for specific help.

Quebec link to estate matters:
    http://www4.gouv.qc.ca/EN/Portail/Ci...cueil.aspx?pgs
    I got 6 copies of the death certificate and it proved to be enough however my moms assets were limited. Some institutions were o.k. with a copy some were also kind enough to return the originals when they were done with them.

Usually government, banks and investment/insurance companies need copies. Bell, Hydro and others all have their own requirements and you will have to contact each one.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would recommend getting someone qualified to do your taxes this year and maybe next year. my mom always did her own until my dad passed (Dec 17th, 2008) but for the 2008 and 2009 tax years she had an accountant do them, just to make sure everything was correctly done.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Sorry for your loss <3 thinking of you and your children at this difficult time

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DP-so very sorry for your loss. If your DH was a contributor to CPP you may be entitled to a widows pension-also each child will get CPP pension of about $238 per month until age 18 or up to 25 if still in school. They will also backdate it up to 12 months if you are not up to applying for it yet. As someone has already mentioned the CPP death benefit is up to $2500. I assume QPP is the same or similar to CPP? Not sure if he had any life insurance through work or elsewhere to look into( credit union etc). I hope you have friends/family to help you through this difficult time. You can also consider an alternate funeral service company if you don't want a full service company with high prices.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sun, Jan 1st, 2017 at 11:38 PM.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Lynn49 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

So very sorry to hear about your loss, Darth.
    Skippy, 22hicks, Lynn49 and 5 others like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information