User Tag List

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree2871Likes

Thread: March 2018 Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Since Chapmans 4,00$ is considered a HV or a FPC how many amount of regular coupons$ I should be offered to make a fair and accepted trade? Thanks for yours opinions.I am tired of getting trades rejected....
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    My ebates cheque came in for $18.99 will be depositing that tomorrow when I buy groceries. Have stopped drinking pop (Diet Coke) and have saved about $20 a month. Staying in as it is so much colder today. Still have no idea what to call my black kitten.
    Good for you about the pop!

I hope the kitty is fitting in well. About names, just in case this helps, some of our past ones and how they got their names:

Taffy, she was a Ragdoll cross, had this beautiful bunny fur, the colour of her back fur was like taffy
    Pouf, beautiful grey fluffy kitten when we got him, I always used to say how pouffy his fur was...
    Two white kitties, each had a smudge of grey between the ears. We didn't have names for the longest time, but referred to them as the one with more grey the other with less grey, so obviously they just became Less and More.

Mowpa (phonetic spelling) means monkey in Ukrainian, because he was always into everything as a kitten.
    Kuhnya ketsya, kitchen cat in Ukr., because she wouldn't leave me alone when I was cooking, it was nuts!
    Teddy, a fluffy orange tabby who looked more like a stuffed bear than a kitten.

Good luck finding some name!
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I donated my extra gallon buckets with matching lids to our local Community Kitchen. They provide a free supper on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It is open to anyone in the community if they want to go for food, socialization, connections, etc.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a really windy day. We might try to play in our fenced back yard late in the morning. Our Salvation Army has a 1 Day Sale tomorrow, $1 kids clothes and 75% off Winter clothes. I only have one Daycare girl tomorrow and she will be picked up before our son gets home from Kindergarten. I might head down with all our kids and see what I can find. I also plan on picking up a few things from the Sobeys Blue Friday sale.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Mar 1st, 2018 at 11:30 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I came home to dinner ready and about to be plated made by the 17 yr old. This kid is surrounded by friends who want to go to law school and he is struggling to find direction. Really child maybe this is your passion, he already has dinner planned for Friday and has the meat thawing. But today he talked to the coop teacher and is serious about a food coop for September. So I am feeling hopeful. It does wreak havoc on the grocery budget but since he has taken on a lot of the meal prep I won't complain. He is also getting much better about menu planning so I can buy what he needs in advance and save a last minute run to the grocery store.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I received a call today from the company asking for photos of the rock, measurements, etc. I emailed the photos off so we'll see what happens.

I'm finding it very hard to get motivated about money lately. There have been some huge setbacks and it seems like it's all about damage control now but anything I do only seems like a drop in the bucket.

DH and I had the money talk the other day, and we discussed the $7,000 discrepancy that he spent on work related expenses that he will not be reimbursed for. His boss refuses to buy coffee and water for the entire company, but expects that it be fully stocked for meetings when all the salespeople are flown in. No one ever puts money in the collection tin that DH puts out as money to go towards the coffee fund, but people always expect coffee to be there. Supplies to maintain the expensive Keurig are covered out of our pocket as well.

DH was reimbursed well over $10,000 for other expenses he incurred like paying for the salespeople's tickets to Raptors games, air line tickets, etc. At least we get a little money back from the credit card rewards for that, but the water and cleaning supplies he buys are only purchased with cash. DH is stretched so thin at work that he has no time to go out of his way to get a better price on anything but the most convenient option.

These expenses seem to be an unspoken condition of employment, so I will just keep on trying to build that emergency fund, but I always seem to have a way of sabotaging things as well.

After DD1 was born, I tried to repay our HBP but with all the sleep deprivation and night time feedings, hours and hours of her crying, I ended up over contributing to the RRSP. I can't remember if I had to pay a penalty, but I certainly do this time. Last year, when DD2 was a newborn, I ended up overcontributing to the TFSA. I probably meant to put the money in an RRSP or RESP, but whatever the case, I will need to withdraw the funds and pay nearly $2000 in fees.

The institution never posted it as a contribution to my CRA records so I completely forgot about them. Contributing this year led to another overcontribution and I have to withdraw the funds less than a week after I put them in, and pay the withdrawal fee. Quite the mess I've gotten myself in this time and it always seems to happen when the babies are three months or less.

Now all the documentation is in and my CRA account shows the correct info. If I subtract the annual gains on the investments, the penalty is closer to $300 than $2000, minus the gains it would have made in a savings account.

This year is really going to have to be a belt tightening year to try to make up for some of the shortcomings. Unfortunately, some major expenses are coming up like redoing the bathroom. There is a mold issue that needs to be addressed and the roof needs to be replaced soon. Plus, DD1 will be turning five and I don't want to put things like introductory swimming lessons off for too much longer. Maybe I should start entering contests at this point.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-I am impressed that you have managed to contribute to your RRSP and RESP with the cost of 2 littles ones in childcare.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Yes I agree with lizzie bargain -that is impressive sweet sparrow ,as listening to my daughter who lives in Toronto ,daycare costs are unreal (wish I could help her ,but we are helping by going every sat for the next little while as she needs us )
    It was so nice of my daughter-in-law to ask me to go to Costco yesterday I asked her if she would help me out as I have an appt at a hospital next Wednesday if she could pick me up -no problem .

Well hubby and I may go on a date to the show this afternoon I have free tickets ,so not that much to spend .We didn't get as much snow as expected -thank goodness,cant wait when you are married many years its nice to look forward to time together

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF!!

We didn't get any snow even though they were calling for it. Sunny day here today. I think garage clean out is still on tomorrow! A few TV's to drop off at the recycle bin, metal futon to the metal bin. That will make a difference! Sort the recycling that seems to have piled up over the winter. And a dump run in a few weeks. I will start the pile!!
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Our area also has the highest car insurance rates in the country as well as highest daycare costs. March break is coming up and DH is going to take time off to be with DD1. One of those days will be spent at my nephew's salon going for a much needed haircut. DD1 and I go every two years. We might be giving him some gift cards to cover the cost. DH keeps getting gift cards for Christmas to places he doesn't go, like Starbucks. My nephew does though!

The last few PA days, I stayed home with DD1. With DH staying home, it will save on the gas of three hours of commuting each day, him being the one to be sent out for coffee and water (unless they make him go the Friday before), and over $50/day in childcare.

I'm contemplating reporting our childcare provider as there have been a few days she hasn't been there for me to drop off DD1. Those days, we have to run to the front of the school and I drop her off with another teacher. Then I have to run back to the back to pick up the car and by then I'm super late.

Finally getting my first car last October has saved quite a lot of money. Cars are expensive! I just filled up the car with $54 in gas yesterday. Gas Buddy tells me that the lowest prices are in the late evening. Perhaps as the kids get older, I can refill the car at 11 PM at night or something equally bonkers.

New money goals include contributing towards DH's RRSP and TFSA over the next decade. We were able to pay off the mortgage and all affiliated HBP and family loans so that will make it doable.

We haven't received coupons or a newspaper in over two months now. I think I will grab the newspaper at work before I leave to at least have something to line the compost bin.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-also congrats on paying off your mortgage. Pat yourself on the back for all your financial accomplishments. I think for many couples, their 30's( making a guess at your ages) are the most expensive with childcare costs if both parents work and wanting to pay off mortgages and save for the children's education and retirement-so many competing priorities and a tough time to get ahead and increase net worth. Once the children are in school full time it seems the costs go down a bit until they hit uni-then another expensive time.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

What a difference a day can make...check your gardens! Sometime since yesterday at 2:00 PM crocuses and hyacinths have started to appear.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweetsparrow yes congrats on paying your mortgage off
    -going for our lunch gonna eat out around 2.00 then show at 4.30,may go out and shovel a bit more did half the driveway this morning

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@lizzie bargain : Thank you on the age compliment. DH and I got married later in life (met in high school but married after we met up again long after college/university). Then DD1 didn't come along for awhile after that because I wasn't really sure I was ready, then DD2 as a last chance effort before we were too old and didn't want to make it a high risk pregnancy. We're sadly not spring chickens!

I'm finding elementary school expensive. Children lose their things all the time and these cookie/pizza days are costing $50 for the next few months! I ignore the forms and send in DD1 with homemade cookies, and a grilled cheese when pizza days come around, but I glance at the cost before I toss it in recycling! DH gives me the side eye for "depriving" DD1 but the cookies and grilled cheeses never come back so they seem like acceptable substitutes. To be honest, I like that I can throw her lunch together in a few minutes as we always have bread and cheese in the house. I think I will start adding raw peppers to balance out the lack of vegetable though. She is like me, not a salad or vegetable eater, but I eat them in front of her anyways to be an example.

BTW, how do children lose pants and shoes in school? Jackets and mittens, hats and extra tops I can see, but pants and shoes seem to be a necessity.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DH has gone out to do the first shovel as I will be driving to work shortly. Unfortunately my back has been sore again this week so I went back to physio on Tuesday-3 weeks to whip my back into shape before I fly to Singapore for an Asian cruise to celebrate a big birthday!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweetsparrow -Ashlyn lost a pair of pants(a pair I bought her)my daughter-in-law thinks she tossed them because of an accident in school ,plus she lost a cute hat this season and its not at the school ,its hard .The other day daughter-in-law told me she was having a hard day ,cara was crying Ashlyn spilt some water as she was trying to get out the door to her mom's and then I get to hear my daughter say Sebastian was difficult this morning didn't want to eat or get dressed -yes they are toddlers what can you do -not much just roll with it

-well better go curl my hair ,I like to get pretty even if its only a show and lunch

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information