User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Steady reduction in food product sizes.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just learned, today, that Walmart is discontinuing its $1, $2, or $3 clearance bags for fruits and veggies.
    Ciel21 likes this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Noticed that the pull tab can lids are no more on the downsized 515ml Campbells Chunky Soup tins. I bought 4 at Fortinos last night to have quick meal options.

When I bought the Ziploc medium-sized freezer bags, I noticed the new box's bag dimensions are slightly changed, compared to older box's bag size on the carton. Will jot them down for next week to post here.
    Skippy and HermanH like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Well, a new angle. Almond milk. Vitamin D content was 45%. Now Vitamin D content is 10%. Same size. Same product. This vitamin is needed in the Canadian winter, too.
    Skippy, 2shopmom, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Well, a new angle. Almond milk. Vitamin D content was 45%. Now Vitamin D content is 10%. Same size. Same product. This vitamin is needed in the Canadian winter, too.
    Wow that's a drastic drop. Thks for posting
    Skippy, Shwa Girl and Ciel21 like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think CBC had a small report on shrinkflation and that some countries (Brazil, IIRC) force producers to show the new size, previous size, and percentage reduction right on the package. There was a suggestion that Canada follow suit.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    I think CBC had a small report on shrinkflation and that some countries (Brazil, IIRC) force producers to show the new size, previous size, and percentage reduction right on the package. There was a suggestion that Canada follow suit.
    Here's a link to the news article and video https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shr...ment-1.6996673 There's also a list of products that have shrunk in the middle of that webpage.
    Last edited by My two Canadian cents; Thu, Oct 19th, 2023 at 06:14 AM.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Wowzers! My eyes have been open @Shwa Girl thank you!
    We buy soy milk at Costco and the packaging changed awhile back and I thought nothing of it as same size carton. However now when I look at the ingredients there’s 20% less Calcium!!! Grr..
    walkonby, Shwa Girl and Ciel21 like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No frills has Betty Crocker cake mix on sale for $1.69 noticed the size dropped from 432g ( I have at home) used to be more to 375g advertised and online

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by My two Canadian cents View Post
    Here's a link to the news article and video https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shr...ment-1.6996673 There's also a list of products that have shrunk in the middle of that webpage.
    Quote Originally Posted by apple pie View Post
    No frills has Betty Crocker cake mix on sale for $1.69 noticed the size dropped from 432g ( I have at home) used to be more to 375g advertised and online
    Betty Crocker SuperMoist Cake Mix was mentioned in the CBC article. Image from that article:

Name:  betty-crocker-super-moist-cake-mix-shrinkflation.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  173.2 KB

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Wow that's crazy! I wonder if they're going to start selling smaller cake pans next

Quote Originally Posted by My two Canadian cents View Post
    Betty Crocker SuperMoist Cake Mix was mentioned in the CBC article. Image from that article:

Name:  betty-crocker-super-moist-cake-mix-shrinkflation.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  173.2 KB
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    We buy soy milk at Costco and the packaging changed awhile back and I thought nothing of it as same size carton. However now when I look at the ingredients there’s 20% less Calcium!!! Grr..
    @Skippy , yes, the almond milk was from Costco. Their price per carton for organic almond milk is better than the grocery store's nonorganic price. Sigh.
    Skippy, walkonby and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OK, I have been toting the Ziploc medium freezer bag size changes in my stationery/tech pouch lately:

Old box stated 20cm x 14.9 cm x 4.7 (slider tops; 15 count)

New box states dimensions as 17.7 cmx 18.8 x (4.7cm? did not jot that last one); 19 count & Grip & seal tech tops.
    Skippy and Shwa Girl like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    Wow that's a drastic drop. Thks for posting
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    @Skippy , yes, the almond milk was from Costco. Their price per carton for organic almond milk is better than the grocery store's nonorganic price. Sigh.
    There's a term for that called skimpflation. Here's a link to a news article and video (halfway down the webpage) about it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ski...late-1.7021544
    Skippy and HermanH like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I noticed that one of the boxes of Duncan Hines cake mix I rescued was dated best before 2003!
    I'm sure that the powder is just fine. I just threw it in the oven. I was also surprised at the size of the box, 515g!

My latest batch of DH boxes 2020 are only 432g

Also gotta wonder about the skimpflation. I bet that my 20-yr old cake will taste more chocolatey than the current version. Have they started to take out the chocolate and replace it with palm oil, yet?
    Skippy likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    I noticed that one of the boxes of Duncan Hines cake mix I rescued was dated best before 2003!
    I'm sure that the powder is just fine. I just threw it in the oven. I was also surprised at the size of the box, 515g!

My latest batch of DH boxes 2020 are only 432g

Also gotta wonder about the skimpflation. I bet that my 20-yr old cake will taste more chocolatey than the current version. Have they started to take out the chocolate and replace it with palm oil, yet?
    Well @HermanH did your cake rise?...and are you still functioning alright after eating?...
    No doubt your cake is the real deal chocolate and not palm oil which I thought we weren't supposed to eat cuz it was killing off the habitat of endangered animals.
    More power to you eating your finds.
    HermanH likes this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information