User Tag List

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree2565Likes

Thread: December 2022 Frugal Chat (when Autumn turns into Winter)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Was walking home from RCSS when a truck pulled over and stopped. The driver waved me over and asked me where I was going. I told him and he insisted on driving me home, even when I told him it was not necessary. I figured it would be simpler to just agree, than argue with him. So, I accepted his kind hospitality. It was only about -20C. Nice to know that there are still fine folks like him in the world.
    @HermanH so glad to hear. I also have had people stop and offer me a ride and I have done it in return. I wish more motorists realized that they are in a warm vehicle whereas the person trying to cross the street isn't.

Yes good people are still out there, like everyone on this forum

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Wind chill puts us at -37C and might go as low as -50C
    Beautiful day.
    @HermanH which province are you in that it is so cold.....brrrrr just thinking of it. Is it Alberta?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Taking a break from volunteering for the Salvation Army Christmas kettle. Very annoying at the number of people making comments on whether I am ringing the bell loud enough, about the charity, complaining about lack of shopping carts at Fortinos, etc. and then make a tiny donation of .30 cents. I wish they would keep their money and comments to themselves! Feeling very low this holiday season so I have cancelled the rest of my shifts except for Christmas Eve.

Was thinking of going to Costco as an item is reduced before Christmas but not sure of the crowds/parking situation. May go tomorrow.
    Skippy, harbie, JadeAngel and 3 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

**HUGS** @barbis9 . Yes, people, need to remember if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.
    Skippy, harbie, barbis9 and 3 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    A busy couple of days. Trying to work through all of the work things so I can get them cleared up before Shut Down, so I do not have to work during shutdown. I factored in the stuff I need to do for other people but I did factor in enough time to do my own work. Plus, one of our managers has graciously offered that their staff will help me with my winter projects which is amazing but now I need to put together the projects for them. Just feels like I have a lot going on.

Yesterday my boss asked everyone who he oversees to come into the branch and we had lunch to celebrate some birthdays on our team. He is in a unique situation where now more than half of his staff are remote workers and he really tried to make sure to include the remote workers. I gave everyone their Christmas gifts (I will share a pic later, I need to upload it).

Today I went to our local branch and delivered Christmas gifts.

On my way home last night I stopped at Bulk Barn, I forgot to grab Sanding Sugar which I need for one cookie and Mom asked for raisins.

Today on the way home I ran into No Frills, Price Matched 2 more Alfredo, 1 Sweet Basil Marinara & 1 Roasted Portobello Sauce. We now have 4 of each.

Laundry is going, the last load is drying now. I am a bit disappointed, when I went to put the laundry in the dryer I noticed the dryer was super cold which was weird because I have checked the dryer on colder days and since installing the new vent and the dryer has not been this cold and it isn't overly windy here today. So I turned the dryer on and it was bothering me so I decided to go out back and look as soon as I opened the day I was like something looks off, so I grabbed my shoes, yep the vent has fallen off. Not sure what I am going to do now, I tried looking up sealants online but I cannot find anything that can be applied in colder temperatures and I think that is the issue, it did not cure properly because it got so cold that night. Ugh, I am thinking my only option might be spray foam which we sell at work but I have never worked with. Think it is time to ask Dad for his opinion/help.
    Skippy, harbie, JadeAngel and 4 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    @HermanH which province are you in that it is so cold.....brrrrr just thinking of it. Is it Alberta?
    Yup. Another wonderful day in the making; -37C and -45C with wind. A great day to be alive.
    Skippy, harbie, JadeAngel and 3 others like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    @HermanH so glad to hear. I also have had people stop and offer me a ride and I have done it in return. I wish more motorists realized that they are in a warm vehicle whereas the person trying to cross the street isn't.

Yes good people are still out there, like everyone on this forum
    I've hitch-hiked all across our country. Some travellers share my same philosophy for accepting rides. We always take any ride offered, even if it is only 100m down the road (and you are trying to go across the country.) Take it in the kind spirit in which it was offered.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Well so much for getting Christmas done tonight. Went to RCSS and they had club packs of Lean ground beef on clearance for $5.
    I bought 13 packs . Cooked up taco meat. (taco salad for dinner!) Made burger patties and a meat loaf for the freezer.
    Tomorrow will cook up a few more batches of taco meat for the freezer. and will cook up just seasoned ground beef for pasta sauce.

Oldest DS is staying here while we are away to dog sit so I wanted to have food ready for him. He will have lots of choices!

I did a bit of stocking up the freezer (not that we have much room but I will appreciate not shopping for stuff the next while)
    $1.99 veggies at Independant and the $1.99 breakfast potatoes and superfries. 4 more jars of Classico Alfredo sauce.

Thursday No Frills has Armstrong Shredded cheese for $4 (there is a $1 coupon out there) For $3 I will get the shredded for DS.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

More signs of sanity returning to the grocery aisles. Striploin roasts for $7/lb sale price, which was about normal for pre-CoVid.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Well so much for getting Christmas done tonight. Went to RCSS and they had club packs of Lean ground beef on clearance for $5.
    I bought 13 packs . Cooked up taco meat. (taco salad for dinner!) Made burger patties and a meat loaf for the freezer.
    Tomorrow will cook up a few more batches of taco meat for the freezer. and will cook up just seasoned ground beef for pasta sauce.

Oldest DS is staying here while we are away to dog sit so I wanted to have food ready for him. He will have lots of choices!

I did a bit of stocking up the freezer (not that we have much room but I will appreciate not shopping for stuff the next while)
    $1.99 veggies at Independant and the $1.99 breakfast potatoes and superfries. 4 more jars of Classico Alfredo sauce.

Thursday No Frills has Armstrong Shredded cheese for $4 (there is a $1 coupon out there) For $3 I will get the shredded for DS.
    @Frugalbigmama the RCSS I shopped at was clearing out the club pack lean ground beef for $1.50 . I was able to grab some for the food Bank since we don’t eat beef
    Skippy, harbie, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Made it to Wednesday morning! Breakfast and teatime are approaching. Have a few morning errands/tasks to take care of. Ran my usual load of morning laundry and all is hung. Have to remove dried kitchen towels and tablecloth (laundered them last night but did not want to start dryer at that point of evening) from the lines. Started looking at daily contest sites. If anyone wants a 50" new Amazon tv, head to the Edo Japan contest thread today!

Yesterday was a brisk, sunny and clear day-perfect for a walk without too much wind (did I appreciate my coat, shoes and gloves-YES!). Lots of Big Sky to look at while walking from bus stop to collect the Christmas party nutcracker (in orange jumpsuit, white safety hat and black safety eyewear, holding a flag with message; hair looks like mop of grey vacuum cleaner dust-seriously!) and mug (cork wrapped bottom, travel lid insert, corporate name on one side). Glad I brought a shopping bag along. Missed return bus by 7min (how far I still had to walk to bus stop) so I decided to walk over to the next intersection (15min away). Felt bit winded by time I got there-at least there was a recycling/garbage bin on the bus pad for partial wind protection (in front of Esso Station). Was intending to walk to the Fortinos on Upper Centennial Pkwy but decided to see if I could get on following bus to return to town on same fare-I did! No cash finds (but if I was more steady and had a second bag, I could have easily collected about 20 beer cans for the Beer Store. There are so many by the Starlite Theater entrance and on either side of driveway, in case a local SCer wants to get some money from them). Even walking along Green Mountain Road to First Rd on the north side, there are cans along the way. Was pleased there was little ice or snow on my walk, just some muddy shoulder areas to dodge.

Made stops at Longos for soap refill/pop (Coke mini-bottles are $3.99 for Dreamworld variety!) and Giant Tiger for the $5 phone stand (in white; silver one is sold out just about everywhere but Queenston Rd store may have 1 left, according to website). Longos calendar no longer comes with holiday issue of store magazine. Giant Tiger was steady-several customers with carts (some thoughtless customers left outside carts all over the sidewalk-same was happening with Value Village rolling baskets; I returned one). I used self-checkout for my item-2nd time I've ever used it since store opened two years ago. The walkways at the Wilson St W/Shaver Rd roundabout are still having intersection work being done (north-east corner and median pad) so I had to skirt around it. Twice I had a car stop (driver sees me) at pedestrian crossings but car behind first one almost did not stop in time. Can't stop a wincing face each time I see that happen. I'm afraid a collision will occur right then-about 5 or 6 near occurrences at one roundabout this year since summertime (and I cannot run so yes, there's that fear).
    @lilo0003 is the Cross Ave Giant Tiger store closed? I could not get an Oakville store listing on the Store Search on the GT website. I was getting a couple of Burlington locations and Guelph ones instead. Or am I imagining there was a GT store in the same plaza where the Value Village is located?
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! The calm before the storm here today. Not looking forward to this big storm we are expecting.

Dropped the dog off at the groomers. Can't wait to pick her up She is going to feel 40lbs lighter lol

Busy work day and DS works tonight so I will do some running around after I drop him off. I popped in Winners last night but I really feel like I am done Christmas shopping. Just need to finish up the wrapping tonight or tomorrow night.

I have a great big sturdy box with a lid that I will use for a couple gift, a few bottles of wine, 6 pk of beer, pistachios, snacks, cozy socks/lotion/face mask/body wash etc. I will wrap each part of the box and fill with tissue and the gifts ....voila done!

I am so over Christmas already this year.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Good morning.

Going to brave the -20 something temps with WC to go to work .

Our neighbourhood is the worst to get out of. It appears to be an ice rink. Hopefully I’ll make it….in one piece lol.

They are calling for more snow on Thursday night into Friday morning. Yuck, I’m so over this stuff.

The only thing I need is a plant based milk which I’ll pick up on the way home otherwise we’re good. Oh ya, and either a baguette or a French bread (whichever looks the freshest).

Have a great day everyone. Stay safe and warm.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I just didnt have my mojo to run to no frills this morning ,its a 20 minute drive .
    I may pop over to walmart as its around the corner for a few items ,(i have no fruit)then go grocery shopping on thursday morning .
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@harbie , be safe.

We are supposed to get hit starting Thursday and will last into Saturday. Ugh, hoping it misses us.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information