Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree1459Likes

Thread: October 2023 Frugal Chatter Thread

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Happy Monday!

Saturday was such a beautiful day. Did housework and running around to enjoy the weather. Took dog for walk down at the waterfront at the town docks.
    Then Sunday was a crappy day weather wise. Went out in the morning to try and walk but then it started raining and made me a homebody!
    Today- another dark gray rainy day. I have a busy work day so I guess that is ok. Will get my work done and then hopefully it will be nice out to get our for a bit....wishful thinking

Yesterday I was motivated to play in the kitchen. Finally made the pasta shells filled with ground turkey etc dish. Tried it and I am not a fan. DS liked it and ate it all which is good. No waste because it cost a small fortune to make lol Saturday I found evaporated milk on clearance ($2.79 less $2 Expires end of December) Decided to make the fudge receipe on the can for my girls weekend next week. It didn't set (I followed the receipe but put in too much butter so that must be why) So I may try to fix it (reboil it) Boy, not feeling confident in the kitchen now

Today- Clean out the fridge and wash up the few dishes. Will make a pot of rice, chop veggies and just need to add a protein (thinking Shrimp since I stocked us up but still have 4 packages we had already that I will use up first- 2 are skewers for bbq- was an amazing deal- I should have bought more then the 3 I did grab to try. Have a bin of clean folded laundry/towels to put away. ( I cheated and went to the laundromat on the weekend to get it all done and folded )

Ok off to get this work day out of the way so I can get some things done around the house.
    Have a great day!
    Bravo on your kitchen projects. Don't give up hope on the fudge! You just inspired me, I picked up a can of Evaporated milk a while back and had no idea what to do with it. I tried making hubby fudge once to use up some cocoa ...hubby loved it but to me, it tasted like a big pan of icing lol..there was no "creaminess" to it. The evaporated milk would obviously improve that. Curious as to what flavour of fudge you tried?

Good luck with your home projects for the day!
    Skippy, harbie, JadeAngel and 4 others like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Well friends...not much to be had shopping wise IMO in this last set of flyers. I hope that it's a one off and not how the stores are responding to being hauled up on the carpet re: their profits (at our expense!). Thankful for leftovers from Thanksgiving in my freezer(but will wait awhile to eat again) and for already whats on hand.
    Fortunate that needs are met while knowing others are not as fortunate!
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 5 others like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    Bravo on your kitchen projects. Don't give up hope on the fudge! You just inspired me, I picked up a can of Evaporated milk a while back and had no idea what to do with it. I tried making hubby fudge once to use up some cocoa ...hubby loved it but to me, it tasted like a big pan of icing lol..there was no "creaminess" to it. The evaporated milk would obviously improve that. Curious as to what flavour of fudge you tried?

Good luck with your home projects for the day!
    It was chocolate. I just followed the instructions on the can but no nuts added (my sister is picky lol)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I bought a big tray of ground beef yesterday. Pasta sauce is simmering on the stove. I also took some of the ground beef/onions out before adding sauce and it is in a freezer bag labeled "cooked nacho meat". Perfect for a night when we want something simple

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We always keep evaporated milk on hand for baking but if I have some we need to use up, we use this recipe. It can easily be cut in half and so good. A Full batch lasts me all week for breakfasts:

https://www.carnationmilk.ca/En/Reci...-Baked-Oatmeal

I chop my apples instead of grating them to make it more Apple forward.
    harbie, barbis9, crafter and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    We always keep evaporated milk on hand for baking but if I have some we need to use up, we use this recipe. It can easily be cut in half and so good. A Full batch lasts me all week for breakfasts:

https://www.carnationmilk.ca/En/Reci...-Baked-Oatmeal

I chop my apples instead of grating them to make it more Apple forward.
    That looks super healthy @SassyAshley but the chocolate fudge is so tempting. Luckily, I'm out of icing sugar but have lots of Oatmeal so I may be forced into the healthy choice
    harbie, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It was chocolate. I just followed the instructions on the can but no nuts added (my sister is picky lol)
    https://www.carnationmilk.ca/En/Search?Kw=Fudge

Wow I had no idea that they had so many recipes for fudge. yum
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OK, I have two shopping beefs from last week to share:

The 29 cent Maggi Masala Instant Noodles in the current No Frills flyer are 33 cents each at the Stonechurch &Upper Paradise Rd store in Hamilton. I made a point to have an employee in the self-checkout lane do a price inquiry which came up at 33 cents (and I told her the flyer stated 29 cents...). I am assuming the store is not a flyer store or something...did notice entryway had a copy of digital flyer on board but who is going to crouch down to read the bottom of the pages at the entrance?

My One4All card has a 37 cent balance. Decided to apply it towards a sale item at the Burlington Centre Hudson Bay (store is closing and just about every category has additional discounts on top of sale prices) but despite requesting a split transaction, the sum was declined. Salesperson told me she thinks I have to have a min amount to use the card. Never heard of it for this prepaid card but I do recall years ago independent stores used to want a min. $5 spend before they'd run a credit card as a payment for a purchase. I am assuming that is the store chain's minimum in play, not the card's rule.

Now I miss the group pay option that used to exist on Bed Bath and Beyond Canada's site. I was able to unload small amounts on someone's group gift to use up the card balance before. Not keen to see if Indigo or Staples might be able to use the sum but not holding out much effort.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 1 others like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So Burlington was fun last week. SPent nearly 30min in ladies clothing area of Burlington Habitat for Humanity store (be aware some men's apparel is mixed in as I bought 2 by accident-one to keep and one to donate after doing laundry on weekend) and found 3 items to buy. $16 in total. Have a new to me Point Zero Western style shirt. The men's Banana Republic striped tee is linen and cotton so it's being retained as a gardening top for Mom as she likes natural fibres. The men's black wool (80%)/nylon sweater is bit short in the torso but long sleeved. Think it's best sent on to someone who may be able to wear it as I have 2 black sweaters already plus a navy one. The furniture section was a time machine to the 70s and 80s mostly (recalling people I visited in those decades with similar items). DVDs/ and CDs were a blast to the 90s (movies) and 80s (music). No luck in spotting storm window hardware; only saw lighting or electrical bits and bobs. Random stroller accessory find-$5 Baby Zen City Zen stroller storm cover (clear plastic) box on a dish shelf where the kitchen things and plates were.

The clothing section has an ok Men's section; kids is mostly for 24months or younger. Would not recommend for toddlers as I could not spot much for them. Footwear is very limited overall (womens/babies) as well. A tub of small flip flops or black headbands were spotted in the footwear area.

Ladies clothing veers mostly small and medium sizing; expect to see different fashion decades reflected in large or plus sizing. Racks are taller like Sears's old coat racks, not low racks as used in Value Village. A few mannequins were dressed to give a bit of fashion vibe to section. Saw licenced Molson or Rolling Rock tees in front window area (leftover event team shirts?). Dresses-very hit and miss rack. Cashier told me the store gets TJ Maxx stock added regularly (that would explain some the of Banana Republic, Land's End, Espirit labels I saw on garments or the occasional Jones New York pants). There is no fitting room as far as I know. 7 day return policy for store credit on clothing but I don't plan to return any clothing. Would not mind a month-end visit if weather/funds permit. Realized that I should have used the 11-Sutton BT bus from the get-go on my Upper Middle Road big box visits to Value Village over a year ago to save time on the bus. Now I know. Upper Middle Rd is just 3 stops or so north of the Habitat store.

I also did a cemetery visit and had lots of Canada Geese hanging around the water faucet after I turned it off (was trying to clean a headstone) and they were drinking water from a depression in the ground. They could have just flown 100 feet out and down into the bay for water...I plan to return this week to do little things to finish the cleaning (like bringing dish soap, cloth etc. plus the Stojo cup) and trim grass missed by staff trimmers.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hudson Bay at the Burlington Centre has lots of discount signs all over the store. Upper level was too quiet-kitchenwares, furniture, bedding. Lower level had some foot traffic last week.
    Very limited Halloween stuff. I forgot to look at Women's Jockey for Her items as I need underwear. All sales are final/no exchange or returns. Apparel is remainder of spring/summer stock. Baby/toddler stuff is spring/summer with a small 12mo-24mo assortment of Holiday onesies. Olsen Europe-I found my desired t-shirt top at 70% off original retail and it was tagged $38.96 but rang in at $10 less! SCORE. I bought it. There's a size 40 left on the shelf along back wall (not an item on hangers as it's mostly viscose knit). Staffer said Mapleview store sent over some of its summer stock to store. Pickings are getting narrow, though.

Spotted a 3pr of Jockey for Men Elance underwear in dark solid colours at $5.97 sticker price but there was a small discount before taxes so I paid $5 and change *but could not use that One4All card*. Will donate package to charity that takes clothing donations.

REminder that Bay Days end on Wednesday and don't forget that members offer of $10 in points if you spend $69 or more online and choose store pickup.

I managed to attend yesterday's local can and bottle drive (found 5 more containers on drizzly walk to site) but not go to the weekend deals at Shoppers. Thus I had very limited pantry option for breakfast this morning. Got a few things at Fortinos and will see what Rexall might have.

Will be back midweek to post again.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Mon, Oct 16th, 2023 at 03:24 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Today i popped over to no frills before i went to watch the girls with hubby

got (8) degree deodorant p.m freshco 2.96-3.00 cpn=+.04
    15 pound bag of no name potatoes 5.00
    (2) brocolli crowns .50 each
    the best tasting strawberries ever p.m to fortinos 2.99 they were ocean spray from the u.s.a i bought 2 but left one for the granddaughters i like to give them fruit when they get off the bus from school.
    (2) no name bagels 2/3.50 or 1.75 each
    (3) royale toilet paper is it the 60 rolls for 11.97

used 40.00 in p.c money
    harbie, barbis9, crafter and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We had a somewhat lazy day. DH made his homemade pea soup last night and we had it for lunch and yep, DH ate it for dinner as well.
    I opted to use up some of my leftover chili and made a chili and cheese baked potato.
    I froze leftover chili in 2 freezer bags, just enough for nachos. We also have leftover ham we need to throw in freezer bags and put away.

Tomorrow we head to the GTA for my 3rd treatment on my back (well neck actually) Hopefully we get back at a good time and I can get back into a normal routine.

I have been procrastinating on some fall cleaning etc and I think I'm going to do something that helped motivate us years back to get some chores done. We tracked chores and repairs that we did at home that someone else might otherwise hire someone for. By tracking our savings, (just on paper savings) but it really spurred us to get more done.

Well a bit of relaxing and tv now
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 5 others like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    I have been procrastinating on some fall cleaning etc and I think I'm going to do something that helped motivate us years back to get some chores done. We tracked chores and repairs that we did at home that someone else might otherwise hire someone for. By tracking our savings, (just on paper savings) but it really spurred us to get more done.
    Brilliant motivational idea.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Happy Monday!

Saturday was such a beautiful day. Did housework and running around to enjoy the weather. Took dog for walk down at the waterfront at the town docks.
    Then Sunday was a crappy day weather wise. Went out in the morning to try and walk but then it started raining and made me a homebody!
    Today- another dark gray rainy day. I have a busy work day so I guess that is ok. Will get my work done and then hopefully it will be nice out to get our for a bit....wishful thinking

Yesterday I was motivated to play in the kitchen. Finally made the pasta shells filled with ground turkey etc dish. Tried it and I am not a fan. DS liked it and ate it all which is good. No waste because it cost a small fortune to make lol Saturday I found evaporated milk on clearance ($2.79 less $2 Expires end of December) Decided to make the fudge receipe on the can for my girls weekend next week. It didn't set (I followed the receipe but put in too much butter so that must be why) So I may try to fix it (reboil it) Boy, not feeling confident in the kitchen now

Today- Clean out the fridge and wash up the few dishes. Will make a pot of rice, chop veggies and just need to add a protein (thinking Shrimp since I stocked us up but still have 4 packages we had already that I will use up first- 2 are skewers for bbq- was an amazing deal- I should have bought more then the 3 I did grab to try. Have a bin of clean folded laundry/towels to put away. ( I cheated and went to the laundromat on the weekend to get it all done and folded )

Ok off to get this work day out of the way so I can get some things done around the house.
    Have a great day!
    @Frugalbigmama nice find on the carnation evaporated milk would love to find some at the price of $0.79. I make fudge all the time but I make with carnation evaporated and condensed milk . It usually have to have a slow boil

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flemeth View Post
    @Frugalbigmama nice find on the carnation evaporated milk would love to find some at the price of $0.79. I make fudge all the time but I make with carnation evaporated and condensed milk . It usually have to have a slow boil
    You make it with both? I have done it with condensed milk before. I will try boiling it again tonight and maybe add a bit of milk to it.
    harbie, SassyAshley and Ciel21 like this.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information