User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Thrift Store/Second Hand Brags!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Was so happy to see this thread. I am very addicted to thrift shopping Love the deals I have found for my kids- clothing, toys...
    Checked out drop-in thrift shop in Morinville, AB...love their fill a bag for $5.00 (assorted clothing). Always have found something cute (often brand names) for my little ones. Have scored super deals on my kids winter clothing, which can be quite pricey at reg.stores. Love the idea of my son picking out a toy very inexpensively, play for a while and when get bored- donate it back. That way we don't get piles of toys everywhere around the house. Once I found a cute cloth doll, very nice quality, made in UK for a $1.00 (looked up online and this doll was selling for $35.00!)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hey guys!!! So I had 4 people message me about the VV card. I wrote each name on a post-it, folded it, dropped it into a paper bag and gave it a shake. Then I had my mom pick one out. And the winner is................................................ ............drum roll.............................. avoncallingu!!! Congrats! And thanks to everyone who took the time to message me!
    anisa and >Femme Fatale< like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Speckled, how nice of you to pass it on!

on a side note, I went garage sale-ing today... how disappointing! it was all either garbage thrown on the lawn or insanely high prices for mediocre items.

i have better luck at thrift stores, more instant gratifiction lol!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I like to thrift. However I've never found any authentic lv or coach, you really have to know your stuff to spot a fake. All I ever find are fakes lol! I've gotten some great deals/finds over the years. My latest treasure is a pheasant statue that I painted (will post a pic sometime) and a little people trailer set from 1960

Our Salvation Army also had a ton of new toys a few months ago so I stocked up on hot wheels etc for my youngest.
    Last edited by Sally888; Sat, Apr 21st, 2012 at 09:11 PM.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    I like to thrift. However I've never found any authentic lv or coach, you really have to know your stuff to spot a fake. All I ever find are fakes lol! I've gotten some great deals/finds over the years. My latest treasure is a pheasant statue that I painted (will post a pic sometime) and a little people trailer set from 1960

Our Salvation Army also had a ton of new toys a few months ago so I stocked up on hot wheels etc for my youngest.
    Have you ever tried thrifting in larger cities?? I have never found good things thrifting unless I am close to Toronto. I think you have to be close to an area that carries high end designers or else you probably won't find them. Where I live everything they have out on the floor and in the cases are fake. Fake Coach and fake LV are the most spotted where I live. I did pick up one really nice vintage purse that I found out retailed for around $260 and is carried at high end department stores in the states. I think people overlooked it though because it was out on the floor mixed in with all the cheap feeling plastic junk and it didn't have a recognizable brand. I have taught myself to feel for quality. That way if I don't recognize the brand on the item I still end up picking up something that is really good quality.

I have had the best luck shopping in Guelph. That was where I found my Fendi sweater, they had Fendi sunglasses too at the same time as the sweater, but were in the case and priced accordingly. The sunglasses were not my style though or I probably would have bought them since they were still cheap for what looked like brand new.
    Last time I went I found a Dooney and Burke bag (was missing the shoulder strap) that I would have bought last time I was there but I don't like handbags I have to carry. Also found a Dolce and Gabbana tee that was two sizes too large and kind of too in your face branded for my liking. There is probably a ton of other good things there too but it's just impossible to shop the entire store in one visit. I have to go with a game plan and a few specific clothing items that I am looking for (like pants) or it's too overwhelming. The downside is that the people working there seem to know brands because Coach is always in the case (and authentic because I check hehe) and priced a bit on the high side for a thrift store.

I'm going around to thrift stores here tomorrow so will post if I find anything good.
    Last edited by roseofblack25; Sat, Apr 21st, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Oh Speckled! Thanks so much! I'll try to make you all proud! This is great! Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

our thrift stores....St Vincent De Paul and Beacon Community store.....have $1 racks..my fave

yesterday I got these all for $1

Bill Blass polo shirt black...for DS
    Donay t-shirt....for other DS
    purple Ralph Lauren Polo shirt w/green horsey....for ME
    2 pair pants for DD..
    and a cute sweatshirt which reads Sister for sale...no reasonable offer refused......we are going to fabric paint it and cross out the sister and write Brother as she is 7 and has 4 older bros

grand total $6

also our St Vincent...aka Vinnies.....has a frequent shopper card
    a stamp for every $10 or more...10 stamps gets you $10 off next shop no min but no change...lol

I am 1 stamp away....yay......and I have been known to get them to charge me 1 or 2 to top it up on the $10 and then just picked a couple of things off the $1 rack after paying...haha
    Big Pink likes this.
    free money by referrals and $1 "Likes" on FB click here http://www.likenet.ca?ref=686207151

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

I had a great thrift shop visit yesterday! I only went since it was on the way from picking my daughter up from school for a musical rehearsal. I went in, found a coupke books and weent to the front, then decided to check the movies and left my daughter holding my place in line. There was nothing good and on the way back to the register I spotted a Hershey S'more maker for $8! My daughter fell in love (told me on the way home she would eat a rock if it was covered in chocolate) so I put my books back (I only had $8 in toonies and loonies and some small change, left my purse at home) My daughter saw a book she wanted for herself and I asked how much, and the lady behind me offered to pay for it. I said it was ok I should have enough and asked my daughter how much it was, she said a dollar and the lady handed me a loonie! And since the cash register was down I paid for everything with no tax! (would not have had enough otherwise) And on the way home I found a $10 bill!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Went today and nothing I did find cool Holt Renfrew vintage trousers but they were too short and too large *sigh*

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    Went today and nothing I did find cool Holt Renfrew vintage trousers but they were too short and too large *sigh*
    Do you know how to sew? Sometimes I pick those kind of items up if the price is right!

I had an amazing day today! I bought two Italian leather jackets for only $1 each!

I couldn't believe it. They looked like they had never been worn, and the leather is buttery soft!

The belt isn't doing much for me since it was supposed to go at the hips...which I thought was odd. I'm going to have to add another hole to it.

This next one's for guys, but I'm going to make it into something for myself. Where else can you find leather of that quality for $1??

Also got this neat purse from the same store for $2.50. It looks like wood, but it's actually made of this almost holographic vinyl:

saveadollardiva and Big Pink like this.
    >>BRAND NAMES up to 90% off* - join BEYOND THE RACK and get $10 FREE!<<
    *amended the percentage due to recent sales

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by >Femme Fatale< View Post
    Do you know how to sew? Sometimes I pick those kind of items up if the price is right!

I had an amazing day today! I bought two Italian leather jackets for only $1 each!

I couldn't believe it. They looked like they had never been worn, and the leather is buttery soft!

The belt isn't doing much for me since it was supposed to go at the hips...which I thought was odd. I'm going to have to add another hole to it.

This next one's for guys, but I'm going to make it into something for myself. Where else can you find leather of that quality for $1??

Also got this neat purse from the same store for $2.50. It looks like wood, but it's actually made of this almost holographic vinyl:

I do sew a little not sure if I would be skilled enough to redo pants though LOL!
    Big Pink likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

i totally scored on two gorgeous dresses today.. one is a mother of the bride/groom type dress the other is a classy dress for a special occasion.. both a champagne color.. both for $16!!
    AmberLab and Big Pink like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by >Femme Fatale< View Post
    I know what you mean! Since I started looking for coats I've come away with so many. I know I don't need anymore, but I still look in that section every time I'm there...just in case there's something amazing on the rack .
    By the looks of it, you are going to need a few closets for all those coats.

I have to avoid that section now... I don't have space or even hangers for guests.

Though I did try one on today that someone left at the end of a row... oops. Well, I managed to leave it there.

My best jacket purchase was a pink soft leather spring jacket. I paid $8 for it and was so excited. Then when I got home I found $5 in the pocket... probably left there the one time it was ever worn. Sweet!
    AmberLab and >Femme Fatale< like this.
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Found myself a nice like new lululemon hoodie today at SA for 6 dollars, I am in love.
    AmberLab likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I went thrifting after my exam yesterday. I was trying to find shoes to match a vintage sailor looking dress that I have but instead walked out with a black sheer top with green and pink feather print on it. It has ruffles on the bottom and is longer in the back and the front is kind of cropped (not showing my belly though). I will probably wear it with high waisted shorts. It was 7.99 man VV prices are insane Everything else was just way over priced.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information