User Tag List

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Anyone else Planting gardens/flowers?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, Marstec...I'll take a closer look at their stems for those "off-shoots". We had bacopia in our hanging planters last year and they were really sweet. I like to change things up every year...last year for instance, every flower was either red or yellow...so cute and vintage looking! We got the roof on our gazebo this morning, and just watered everything. Hubby takes everything in at night in case of frost...still a likely threat here!
    Thank you for the tip re wave petunias, but we're pretty well done our plantings this year....now we just hope the weather cooperates and we can enjoy all those flowers this year. My stupid lilac didn't give me any (okay, one!) lilacs this year....so disappointed! I'll have to go over to our former house which 'the kids' now own and clip from our former bushes there..hmph.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, May 17th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well I am typing with dirty hands lol I think I bought too many plants this year. Still have lots to go, hopefully I will get it all done by this weekend then sit back and enjoy them.
    BC Gal likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I cant find "tidal" wave petunias anywhere! One place said they might get some in next week but even that was a maybe. I get regular wave for my planters, but the tidal wave grows tall, about 2ft, then spreads out into a huge ball. Last year it climbed up my oblisks (sp) and looked amazing!
    Patty Smyth and BC Gal like this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Me, I'm planting flowers. Love it!!!!!
    Natalka and BC Gal like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Well I attempted to weed the flower beds this weekend, but my puppy wanted to assist and well, now I have a few less flowers. It seems as long as I don't dig, pull weeds, or do anything to the gardens, he leaves them alone. I've always been able to teach my dogs to stay out of the plants, but this guy is such a helper - my little un-gardener! lol
    anisa likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    Well I attempted to weed the flower beds this weekend, but my puppy wanted to assist and well, now I have a few less flowers. It seems as long as I don't dig, pull weeds, or do anything to the gardens, he leaves them alone. I've always been able to teach my dogs to stay out of the plants, but this guy is such a helper - my little un-gardener! lol
    I have an impediment to my weeding too, but it's not a dog...it's a husband. He doesn't know a petunia from a pansy and has on more than one occasion tromped on my flowers.

I did lots of weeding this weekend. I'm doing my best to get rid of the lawn grass and quack grass in my flower beds. Today, I saw a lady pulling out dandelion flowers off her lawn....don't people know they need to get rid of the weed at the root? My favorite garden tool is a notched dandelion weeder. You can get right down and dig out the whole root. They are cheap, not more than $2-3, and if you keep them in handy places, you can do a bit of weeding here and there. You won't get overwhelmed by all the weeds if you chip away at it a little at a time.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I have an impediment to my weeding too, but it's not a dog...it's a husband. He doesn't know a petunia from a pansy and has on more than one occasion tromped on my flowers.

My favorite garden tool is a notched dandelion weeder. You can get right down and dig out the whole root. They are cheap, not more than $2-3, and if you keep them in handy places, you can do a bit of weeding here and there. You won't get overwhelmed by all the weeds if you chip away at it a little at a time.
    I have a DH that stomped my last miniature rosebush into the ground, while he was tearing out my English ivy. I can definitely relate. A few years ago, he ripped out my daylilies thinking they were weeds.

Where do you get a dandelion weeder? I've been looking for one for ages!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I did lots of weeding this weekend. I'm doing my best to get rid of the lawn grass and quack grass in my flower beds. Today, I saw a lady pulling out dandelion flowers off her lawn....don't people know they need to get rid of the weed at the root? My favorite garden tool is a notched dandelion weeder. You can get right down and dig out the whole root. They are cheap, not more than $2-3, and if you keep them in handy places, you can do a bit of weeding here and there. You won't get overwhelmed by all the weeds if you chip away at it a little at a time.
    i do this all the time. sometimes i don't have time to weed them out properly, but darned if i'm going to let them drop all their seeds everywhere in the meantime!

sometimes a quick 5 minute job is all you have time for, and there is nothing scarier than those dandelion heads that look like they will seed in the next day or so *shudder*
    GoJays likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Where do you get a dandelion weeder? I've been looking for one for ages!
    Here's a few from my vast collection, lol. You can buy them in the gardening section of any big box store or nursery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    anisa and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i do this all the time. sometimes i don't have time to weed them out properly, but darned if i'm going to let them drop all their seeds everywhere in the meantime!

sometimes a quick 5 minute job is all you have time for, and there is nothing scarier than those dandelion heads that look like they will seed in the next day or so *shudder*
    when i see a flower pop open and i don't have time to yank the little sucker out of the ground i just rip off the flower head until i get a chance to take care of it

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I mentioned my plant protector, Gaius, a few days ago. Gets rid of bunnies and beavers and pretty much anything else he can get. An Inuit sled dog, they are hunters - and they eat what they catch. We went out to my Dad`s summer place today for a visit. The fauna there has given us a lot of grief over the last 35 years. They eat anything we plant. But Gaius is on duty now. Protecting the plants and trees and filling his belly.

My daughter posted some pics on her facebook that she took with her tablet. Wonderful day today, 25C, so we went out to my Dad`s summer cottage way out in the country.

Warning: The last pic is Gaius enjoying the meal he caught. Don`t look if that will upset you. I was a bit sad, because the rabbit was young, but it`s just nature. If Gaius hadn`t gotten it a coyote probably would have, or an eagle. At least it was quick. Most humans suffer far worse deaths than that.
    (Another thread entirely)

Gaius waiting for me to start driving. He hasn`t been out to the country since last fall, but he knows where he`s going, and can`t wait!

Name:  521358_3346483707616_1434486887_33010827_226856479_n.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  29.1 KB

At the brook close to the cottage. Look at that tail, happy dog or what!

Name:  246521_3347367089700_1434486887_33011064_1494256347_n.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  46.5 KB

A little shake after his dip in the brook.

Name:  398180_3347352449334_1434486887_33011053_705632853_n.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  74.8 KB

And lunch (this is the one I warned about - if sensitive, don`t look.

Name:  545178_3347419931021_1434486887_33011094_1572368177_n.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  57.7 KB

He ate all but the head, fur and all. Inuit sled dogs are not your normal dog.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

gonna try a green house this year,it has been in my backyard for the last 5 or more years my son built it planted it and got a fungus after that it was years of weeds well I cleaned her out. We are going to try cataloupe in it ,son has big garden in his backyard it is beautiful ,we will be doing lots of canning if we are lucky with a nice season.
    anisa likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Beauty dog Dave! The last picture reminds me of my daily "offerings" from my cats. Aren't they just soooooo special?
    Well, hopefully the garden will grow. . .
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Beauty dog Dave! The last picture reminds me of my daily "offerings" from my cats. Aren't they just soooooo special?
    Well, hopefully the garden will grow. . .
    So right. He's protecting my young apple trees now out in the country. My tomatoes (Scotia and Tiny Tim's (or maybe Sweet 100s)), I'll be growing here in town (Glace Bay). The weather is finally right. Gonna get them in the next few days.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Here's a few from my vast collection, lol. You can buy them in the gardening section of any big box store or nursery.
    how exactly do you use those?

i have a neighbor that uses an old butter knife to 'carve' around the root and then pull it out. i saw a tool in a gardening catalogue that looked an awful lot like a drywall saw. so i went in the garage, got my drywall saw and tried that but i kept hitting rocks and was afraid of ruining the saw.

i have a cheapo tube thingy that you push down over the root, but because the roots aren't always straight down, that can be a bit of a hassle.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread Information