User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Yard sale couponing??!!

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SynthiaD View Post
    No it's illegal and the sole REASON London Drugs in the west wont stack anymore, because people were ordering whole palets, using coupons to get the items free and then selling the merchandise seperatly, its against the law and morally wrong by all means.... If I was there I would have called the police, and yeah seems harsh in your eyes but its the right thing to do.....
    Erm...calling the police? Are you serious? That's way out of line and a waste of police time. What's the difference between people reselling items at a garage sale and business owners buying from sales/clearance, then putting them in their shops to sell at a marked up price?? Why does no one go after them? Oh wait, cos that's "legal".
    Last edited by salady; Sun, May 27th, 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo!
    scbpooh, cdylan and sharkie like this.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I have no issue with this. Im saving money for my family by purchasing this and the other person is making money. I mean, maybe they need the money to buy their son/daughter a birthday gift or need to buy groceries for their famiy. I dont understand what has been going on recently with coupons, I means it pretty bad when people actaully put a disclaimer on their brag/post so that others dont jump all over them. We dont know how people came into these products - maybe they had a store and had to close it. Maybe they purchased at a liqidation or maybe it is from couponing. I mean these people could be out doing a lot worse things to get money, or doing nothing at all, at least they are trying to make some extra for their family....I just wish everyone on here would start to give the benefit of the doubt until they know otherwise that something illegal or immoral has been done. I say good for the people selling the stuff to help their family. I dont know their economic situation, I hope they made some money to help their family. Just my personal opinion!

Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I would never purchase personal products like shampoo, toothpaste, etc. at a yard sale.
    danifish likes this.

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by NICKER27 View Post
    I have no issue with this. Im saving money for my family by purchasing this and the other person is making money. I mean, maybe they need the money to buy their son/daughter a birthday gift or need to buy groceries for their famiy. I dont understand what has been going on recently with coupons, I means it pretty bad when people actaully put a disclaimer on their brag/post so that others dont jump all over them. We dont know how people came into these products - maybe they had a store and had to close it. Maybe they purchased at a liqidation or maybe it is from couponing. I mean these people could be out doing a lot worse things to get money, or doing nothing at all, at least they are trying to make some extra for their family....I just wish everyone on here would start to give the benefit of the doubt until they know otherwise that something illegal or immoral has been done. I say good for the people selling the stuff to help their family. I dont know their economic situation, I hope they made some money to help their family. Just my personal opinion!
    righttt but I do know of people who have facebook groups dedicated to selling their "stockpiles" so to speak. It ruins it for the rest of us. Coupon amounts become smaller, wording becomes stricter.. etc. I can't speak on the person selling stuff at the garage sale, but I do know that the people around my area selling on FB groups probably aren't using the money to buy groceries (they do it because they found a niche in the system and enjoy the extra money it provides). They also it because they choose not to work and stay home and look after their many children they have. I wish I was able to stay home all day with my child and sell my stockpile, but gee, if we all decided to do that, there'd be no product left on the shelves!!
    Last edited by ex0ticb3lla; Sun, May 27th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MostarkaGirl View Post
    I'd like to correct you Chantel, but reselling is not illegal. If it was, there would be no businesses at all. Every single store you go to buys in bulk cheaper in wearhouses and re-sells it to you for more money. It is a coupon that shouldnt be sold.
    I have seen coupons that state selling the coupon or any product gained through redemption of saidcoupon is illegal. So, I think Chantel has a valid point. But, you're right, coupons typically say that they can't be sold for money.

Quote Originally Posted by salady View Post
    Erm...calling the police? Are you serious? That's way out of line and a waste of police time. What's the difference between people reselling items at a garage sale and business owners buying from sales/clearance, then putting them in their shops to sell at a marked up price?? Why does no one go after them? Oh wait, cos that's "legal".
    You're right, it is legal for business owners to buy stock from sales, clearances and close-outs and put them up for sale in their shop at a higher profit margin. And, do you perhaps know why it is legal? Because they have a license and a vendor's number to do that from the government, acknowledging their business. They, in turn have to register their sales in a cash system, and collect and remit tax to the government for the privilege of buying wholesale. Whereas the person who is listing his stockpile on Kijiji, or the woman who is hauling it out to her curb...they don't have any license or permit to do this.

Personally, selling items accumulated through couponing/free/stockpiling is not OK with me, whether you sell in at a yard sale/Kijiji/CL/FB/newspaper ad etc etc

Plain and simple...IT'S NOT FAIR. It isn't fair that shoppers clear the shelves of a deal/freebie, and then turn around to sell it to make a profit, while other customers who went looking for the same deal weren't able to cash in on it because the store was OOS. It's also not fair that a person wants to dupe another into buying something that she got for free.

For those who have no problem selling a stockpile, I ask this: Let's say I went to the dentist and at the end of my cleaning, she gave me a fancy Oral-B toothbrush, Sensodyne Pro-namel toothpaste and Oral-B floss for free. Would you consider it fair if I turned around and sold it to you for $5?

Or, imagine this: I run my own business, and as such, get to write off a lot of my expenses. Let's say I stack coupons and sales at Staples and manage to score my toner and paper for 75% off, or $50 (not uncommon when matching up a sale with a coupon). Well, I decide to sell my toner and paper to you for $150. You know it's a deal, and snap it up (after all, toner alone is $100). Then, come tax season, I get to take advantage of another deal...I get to write off the paper and toner. So now, I have made $150 and reduced my income tax owing by another $50. And you, the sucker of the bunch, have parted with $150. Would you consider that fair? I certainly wouldn't.
    Last edited by ChristieJ; Sun, May 27th, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: punctuation
    anisa, ex0ticb3lla, jonesy and 9 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

What I am wondering in this situation is why anyone would buy these items from a garage sale????? Personally if I saw someone selling, lets say 20 bottles of tide, in a garage sale I would be suspicious that it could be stolen merchandise.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

please let us not attack each other
    gourmetsue, lizamarie and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    What I am wondering in this situation is why anyone would buy these items from a garage sale????? Personally if I saw someone selling, lets say 20 bottles of tide, in a garage sale I would be suspicious that it could be stolen merchandise.
    I would be afraid it would be tampered with. Health Canada does have rules what you can sell at garage sales.
    sharkie likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Difficult argument. Companies and non-profits and regular groups buy pop, chips etc. from stores and re-sell those products at a higher profit margin, and could easily coupon to make that margin higher, yet we don't criticize if the re-selling "group" has an okay title. Whereas if a private seller is involved, morals can be questioned. I agree with many of y'all above though...I could NOT buy toiletry products at a garage sale. It scares me enough buying deodorant at the store knowing people go in and use it and put it back.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cmenard1 <- Join me on SwagBucks!!

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

so would it be different if the ppl bought the item full price whithout a coupon and then decided to sell the item ? would they still be concidered ruining things for other ppl ?

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
    anisa and anastasia1009 like this.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post
    so would it be different if the ppl bought the item full price whithout a coupon and then decided to sell the item ? would they still be concidered ruining things for other ppl ?
    Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    This is what you call the "black market". Unregulated, unreported sales.

As to how it hurts others...stores offer "loss leaders", products at below cost, because they hope it will draw in store traffic and people will do the rest of their shopping at that store.

When someone comes in and cherry-picks only the loss leaders and buys in bulk, clearing out shelves, they are hurting the store because they are only buying products that the store takes no profit, or even a loss, on. That customer is costing them money, and is eliminating the chance for other customers to have a deal and be satisfied.
    I am not really referring to operate a garage sale as a full time business ....I am only asking if one had a garage sale and sold some of the items they had....say 10 bodywash/6 soap or any scented items they had but could not/didn't want (maybe discovered an allergy) anymore...does it matter if they used a coupon or not ?......why shouldn't ppl be able to get rid of some items for sale ? why imply ppl should be giving the items away and not recoupe any of the money they speant on the items ?

my post is not directed/talking to any one specific person
    sharkie likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:37 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Walmart has a piece of paper on some products that basically say if you see this product not sold at Walmart let us know.So they don't want products not being resold outside the store.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

I agree on a large scale ......but if there are a few items from ones own purchases I see nothing wrong with getting rid of a few items at a garage sale......although everyone is going to have their own opinions....
    sharkie likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information