User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By matrix82
  • 8 Post By Kalmel
  • 1 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By glowworm2k

Thread: What home security system and company are you with? Pros and Cons?

Sleep Deprived
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Our home got broken into last month, and since then, we have had 4 different alarm companies come in for estimates. Their prices varied so much, and we got told different things from each one that it's been confusing trying to pick a system out. Plus, I wasn't that impressed with the lack of knowledge and general dodginess that some of the sales people had.
    If you have a system in your home, is it one you would recommend or not? Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

My only security is a baseball bat called the Matrix-ville slugger. Maybe talk with your local police department? See what sort of security they recommend for your area.
    glowworm2k likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I'm with a german Sheppard now but i'm i'm seriously thinking once this contract is done, i'm gonna go with something else.

Cons.. he slacks and sleeps to much on the job. Plus, he eats alot and snores.

pros.. humm he's cute.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't want to hijack this thread, but how much do you pay for monitoring a month? I'm looking for a cheapie one.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I'm with alarmforce, $30/month, I cant really tell you the pros and cons, I never used anything before, it's there to make me feel better I guess, but one thing I did notice lately, this system uses phone line and my internet acts weird, I had to get a technician coming in to check what's going on, but I'm still having this issue.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

In our last much larger home, we had ADT (iirc)... 2500.00 installation, about $30/ month...worth every penny. We also had my Mom living with us who had Alzheimer's, and we were concerned about her leaving in the middle of the night. The times I had misadventures with it, they called immediately to make sure I was okay...
    glowworm2k likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

We are with RAF which is local and they charge $165 a year. Never had a problem. We have been with them since 1993. We have contact sensors only, no motion detectors because of the cats. We also have an emergency push button pad with direct line to fire, police, ambulance. Never had to use it so far.

When one of us accidentally sets off the alarm they usually call in under 90 seconds.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I'm sorry to hear about the break-in, Junerose. I don't have a home security system, but we have ADT at work (the building is an old house) and they seem to be very quick about calling if the alarm is set off and also for following protocol to the letter if there is a problem. I have no idea of the costs, though.

IDK your situation, but if you have kids or others who might forget to turn off the alarm, forget the code, etc., it might be worthwhile to enquire about the fees for false alarms. My Mom has had to pay some hefty fees with her alarm system because she kept setting it off by accident without knowing it and a few times a security guard was dispatched (I don't remember which company she is with). She now has the system set up so there are more audible cues (which are really annoying to me and most people who visit her, but she finds 'em helpful. They go something like: *BEEP BEEP BEEP* "FRONT DOOR OPEN!" *BEEP BEEP BEEP* "FRONT DOOR CLOSED!" in a very loud computer voice), which have cut down on the number of false alarms she has.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, glowworm, I've set it off a few times in the beginning...and if that continued, there would have been a fee (but I think from the police department, iirc). Naturally I became more adept at managing it...

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We have TrueSteel Security. It is a local company here serving Northern Ontario.

$1600 installation fee....~$22/month service fee. I don't care for it...my wife wants the piece of mind. It only dropped our home insurance by around $4/month..so it isn't like you will be saving in the long run.

We got ours pretty decked out...sensors everywhere...glass sensors on the patio door, thermal detectors (for fire), etc.
    Matt

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

THAT'S THE ONE!!! TRUESTEEL!! I knew it was "something like" ADT!! You are the best, lol!!
    Anyway...like your wife, I needed the security (as well as for my Mom). We've since downsized and all I need now (I hope!) is our Jenny who barks like a doberman whenever anyone gets near the house.....But with 3 stories (a 2-story, then the basement windows below that) in the other home, I really felt far away from the basement with no real escape from the tall second floor (yep...some kind of set of stairs would have been a good idea, but so far, the kids haven't installed any, either...sigh)...

Bruce Wayne
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

TRUESTEEL is the best unlike the rest!
    It does the intended job at very well. Now, we don't need to bother about our house security as it monitors to take utmost care. I too have installed premium hotel safes in house and self owned hotel.

Never compromise with the safety and security! Life never knocks anyone's door twice!!!
    Last edited by BruceWayne; Fri, Aug 30th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

At home we use The Monitoring Center. We've never had a problem with them. Not sure how much they cost every month.

At my cottage, my dad just installed security cameras. Wow, you'd be surprised what goes on when your not around. Within the first 3 weeks of the cameras being up, we have discovered 2 separate occasions of different people snooping around. One person even kicked over my stone man that I made.

I never leave home with out setting my alarm. It really helps to give me piece of mind.
    Join Swagbucks for free amazon gift cards! $500 earned so far!!

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just have a sign in my driveway.

Beware of Dogs
    Do NOT​ Exit Vehicle!

Thread Information