User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree442Likes

Thread: Blow the points and blow off SDM

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Once I receive my bonus points,,,,,I will be spending them all and walking away from Shoppers,,,,,,,right now my feelings are that I will look for another promo in the next year from another chain or store to possibly benefit from spending the amount I have this year on gift cards over $4K,,,,I was kind of happy that they only ran it for a week otherwise I would of been back buying more I am sure...

I may feel differently a year from now,,,,we will see.....

Anyone have any suggestions for another store that offers a promotion such as SDM gift card promo? Perhaps more then once a year? It doesn't have to be a XMas time either,,,,any time of year would suit me.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    hcao, walkonby, Shwa Girl and 3 others like this.
    Its not 'savings', it is spending less or spending nothing - if you put it in the bank and it stays there, it is savings

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

not really. shoppers is the best points program by far.
    Natalka, kidsteph and Vov76 like this.

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

i'll be saying good bye to sdm also.
    harbie, hcao, walkonby and 3 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I'm going to spend my points and see what happens. I have enough for one full redemption and one half.
    I have only been buying what I need there (used to buy stuff just for the points) so I am finally "getting" it. If the optimum system ends up going down the tube c'est la vie. Was good while it lasted.
    Last edited by Caseythegoalie; Sun, Nov 25th, 2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    walkonby likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think i will shop less at sdm as well. it's not as fun anymore. if you shop at RCSS or No Frills, i think their PC mastercard is good. You can redeem for groceries. i'm thinking of getting one of those 2% cash back visa card.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Stick to the staples.. During $50 20x the points I only get milk, eggs, bread, butter, Pop when it's 3/9.99.. and sale items that are actually a good price. However, it will take you about a year to save up for the points lol BUT.. based on complaints from local managers, according to them they lose money on a lot of food items to get people into the store, they lose more on 20x the points.. So they make nothing apparently when people do that. They rely on people buying $7 shampoo and $10 birthday cards and all the people that don't use optimum. It was worth it when you could combine PBP with Optimum events. But now they are boycotting that, and lowering redemption levels. If you are "spending for points" and buying more expensive things JUST because you need to top off your transaction, and keep in the back of your mind "Oh.. it will pay off later" simply throw the extra few dollars in a jar.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by paperclipc View Post
    I think i will shop less at sdm as well. it's not as fun anymore. if you shop at RCSS or No Frills, i think their PC mastercard is good. You can redeem for groceries. i'm thinking of getting one of those 2% cash back visa card.
    You can also redeem your PC opints for the GC's they sell there too

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I spend my shoppers points as I get them... the reason is shoppers in my oppinion has had some shady biz practices and I want to be able to walk away at any time. I used to shop far more at shoppers but I am tired of the changing their offer mid stream with no signage (this by the way goes against some laws here in Canada) (yes shoppers we know you read this stuff and you should be ashamed. Really!) I am VERY tired of cashiers that argue about a coupon being accepted until a manager has to come and clarify... in one case a supervisor came and argued really loudly because she was not capable of understanding the wording on the coupon. There are problems at almost every store and it runs the gammit of the organization from the points program down to the cashiers. I debated switching our $500 a month in perscriptions (mostly athsma meds) to shoppers and decided not to because of the customer service I have been getting. If you include perscriptions and coupons shoppers lost about a $8000 a year cleint and they only get $300 - $400 a year out of me including coupons. I should not have to phone, email or facebook in order to get good service and promised points. I now only go in there for items I get for free or when it is the best deal I can find. Until shoppers straightens up... walmart price match works, superstore price match works, loblaws price match works, zellers price match works, london drugs price match works and when target opens here their price match will work as well.

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    You can also redeem your PC opints for the GC's they sell there too
    thanks for the tip!
    harbie, Silk and Sarah W like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I will be shopping less at SDM next year also.....due to their inconsistent and downright lowly "business" practices in the past year. It has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree with what you said Cheeky about redeeming your points as you go....I've been saving mine all year...and for what?!?!!? I am not complaining - but I probably won't be ahead after redeeming next weekend at sky high price points.

I recall last years Christmas redemption, I refused to "pay" $3.99 for a box of Breton crackers even though I would get them "free" because of the redemption.

I was very careful this year not to purchase items just to reach the min. requirement during 20x point days, but to get my OOP as low as possible.
    I will be even more careful this year.

I hope SDM reads these threads because there are a lot of people that will be taking their business elsewhere....let's hope they pay attention and care.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use a Canadian Mastercard for all my purchases. It's free and I get 1% back on all purchases. I find it freeing to buy things at different stores at the best price and try not to buy everything at Shoppers. I don't like spending up to $50. I buy makeup (Mac) and shampoo (aveda) that Shoppers doesn't sell, so it's hard to find $50 worth of stuff I need. I did the gift card promo last year and bought $150 in gift cards. I was a little nervous about losing them and felt limited by having to spend them instead of buying things at a store I didn't have a gift card for, so I didn't do the gift card promo this year. I only have enough optimum points for $105 redemption. I think that's all I can achieve in a year while only buying things I really want and I'm happy with that.
    pippinelkhound and Silk like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I only shop on point promos so SDM doesn't get extra business from me but I will continue to shop there because I don't see a better program out there.

Althought Walmart prices can be seductive, I usually steer clear from them because of their nafarious and evil business concepts. (aka the closure of Smith Falls Hersheys). Deal or no deal, I prefer to keep my fellow Canadians employeed with decent wages rather than me saving a few dollars.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
    Once I receive my bonus points,,,,,I will be spending them all and walking away from Shoppers,,,,,,,right now my feelings are that I will look for another promo in the next year from another chain or store to possibly benefit from spending the amount I have this year on gift cards over $4K,,,,I was kind of happy that they only ran it for a week otherwise I would of been back buying more I am sure...

I may feel differently a year from now,,,,we will see.....

Anyone have any suggestions for another store that offers a promotion such as SDM gift card promo? Perhaps more then once a year? It doesn't have to be a XMas time either,,,,any time of year would suit me.
    Petro Canada offers 50% more points for buying gift cards so 30 points per dollar spent until January 7 and you can buy gift cards instantly at the store with your Petro Points. www.petro-points.com
    Last edited by Poirot; Sun, Nov 25th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

There is nothing that we really really need or want from SDM. I used to do the 20x WUS $50 whenever the Lean Cuisine/Stouffers was on sale for 1.99. Now that I can't double dip the pins on both sites means less shopping there for me. I will see what the Saturday and Sunday only specials are and price match at Maxi.

You have to go pretty early on Saturday to get the sale items or they run out and they have limited flavours. I can go Sunday night to Maxi when it's not busy and get everything and all flavours.
    Last edited by couponmummy; Sun, Nov 25th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by NuCoupon View Post
    I use a Canadian Mastercard for all my purchases. It's free and I get 1% back on all purchases. I find it freeing to buy things at different stores at the best price and try not to buy everything at Shoppers. I don't like spending up to $50. I buy makeup (Mac) and shampoo (aveda) that Shoppers doesn't sell, so it's hard to find $50 worth of stuff I need. I did the gift card promo last year and bought $150 in gift cards. I was a little nervous about losing them and felt limited by having to spend them instead of buying things at a store I didn't have a gift card for, so I didn't do the gift card promo this year. I only have enough optimum points for $105 redemption. I think that's all I can achieve in a year while only buying things I really want and I'm happy with that.
    If you think "1%" on a cc is in any way comparable to SDm points hen you really don't get it Everyone saying they ware done with SDM...won't be able to run back fast enough as soon as there is a deal...and SDM knows it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information