Like Tree124Likes

Thread: QotD: 22 Apr 2015: Potty mouth!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Name:  04-22-2015.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  86.2 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by danger_dan; Wed, Apr 22nd, 2015 at 07:07 AM.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

As a kid, I had a job in a manufacturing plant. One boss would swear so much that when he gave instructions to me he was also swearing angrily. Early in the summer job I politely told him that I thought he had a good command of the English language and I understood him very well, without the swearing. I thought that he was going to show me the door and tell me not come back. Instead he thought about it for a minute and apologized. He kept swearing on the manufacturing floor but I heard less swearing when he talked to me about work.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Growing up I wasn't around anyone who swore excessively. My parents frowned upon it, although my dad was caught at times swearing. (Should have kept a swear jar.) As an adult, it's not something I do.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Growing up, no swearing at all - I barely even heard any. Darn was a very bad word.

As an adult, sure I swore - but that was totally curtailed once I was in teacher training. You just have to stop - and therefore, you pretty much stop in your private life as well, just so you don't slip.

Once we had a child, swearing was just not tolerated and we didn't swear at home.

I have returned to it, however, just once in a while - sometimes it's just so satisfying!

In general, I just see not much need for swearing - I especially hate the f-word and how much it's used in general in society and popular culture. So irritating, let alone not being creative...
    Last edited by Natalka; Wed, Apr 22nd, 2015 at 07:34 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Growing up swearing was not allowed in our house, but as we grew older my brothers would use it the odd time in front of my dad (never mom), Now I swear sometimes mainly when I'm frustrated.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Swearing was a definite no no in the house but I have once heard Dad swore while having an argument with someone on the phone. In primary school, a couple of my friends started to casually swear and it became a part of their vocabulary--I didn't mind and thought it was just the way they speak. Personally, I rarely swear.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Growing up, no swearing in our home at all. It just never happened.

Now, with our grandson around, when "darn" or "silly" escapes my lips, he corrects me, saying that I said a bad word. Our DD recently said they'll perhaps amend that soon, since now that he's not a toddler anymore...he'll be 7 this summer....he can understand they're not meant to hurt anyone. Neither parent swears at home.... I can make a sailor blush now and then when the situation warrants it.. My hubby wouldn't utter a single swear word, ever! Hmph. Saint.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Growing up my family didn't swear a lot. I still don't swear in front of my grandparents, just out of respect.

I don't have much of a filter when it is just DH and I, but I try not to swear around anyone else. Once we have kids, I'll definitely be putting that filter back up at home. DH is going to have to work a little harder at it, it seems most plumbers have terrible potty-mouths.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

swearing is all over the school yard there is no getting away from it. Children should be taught that it really isn't the end of the world if you move your tongue in a certain way to produce a certain sound that others perceive as offensive, how crazy is this society where a word can make someone upset.. bet kids would swear less too if there wasn't such a taboo surrounding t with the older generations

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Once again I'll step up and admit. I swear!

I don't have any other vices - I've never smoke, did any drugs, drink, party, etc. but I do swear and yes I sometimes do it in front of my kids. <Insert judgement here>. Don't get me wrong, I don't swear gratuitously and not in front of other children but in my own home, yes sometimes I swear.

Having said that my kids know what are adult words and that they are not allowed to say them, much like they know what an adult drink is and that they are not allowed to touch it. They are bound to hear those words in public places or even at school and when they do they already understand.

I remember one of the first times I volunteered at DD's class. A little girl whispered in her ear and was trying to get her to say something to me. DD's eyes went wide and she absolutely refused to repeat because "those are adult only words". I talked to the teacher and she said the little girl has been swearing a lot at school and some other kids have started also. That was one instance that I was happy to have taught DD about swearing. Sure, I could have went another way about it but this works for our family.

I find it amusing when people lecture me on swearing in front of my kids. There has been no definitive studies on it. It's personal (be in widespread) opinion. It's interesting to me that such emphasis is placed on certain words. I've always lived by the motto that words are simply words, they have absolutely no power unless you give them it.

Clearly I think differently than most.

To throw some humour out:

Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Wed, Apr 22nd, 2015 at 11:52 AM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Not sure about the validity but maybe I should start using this:

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsaver View Post
    swearing is all over the school yard there is no getting away from it. Children should be taught that it really isn't the end of the world if you move your tongue in a certain way to produce a certain sound that others perceive as offensive, how crazy is this society where a word can make someone upset.. bet kids would swear less too if there wasn't such a taboo surrounding t with the older generations

Just because it's "all over the school yard" doesn't impress me, nor does it make it right. Children who swear are disgusting little creatures who should have been taught better manners. Seems parents just don't have the time to teach them properly...not just how to speak correctly, but how to behave correctly. jmho, of course.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It was frowned upon in our home, my Mom was almost saintly but the odd time if something really got her Italian blood boiling she might say the B word! ( and it was sooo funny when she said it because she would get red faced after it came out of her mouth )
    When my father was half corked, oh the words that would be spilled! ( and again we all knew WE should not use those words ever! ) but I will admit to laughing at a few certain comedians that work blue, BUT most foul mouthed stand ups cannot pull it off. ( pardon my sexism, but I cannot tolerate a woman talking like that in comedy )
    More and more we see it in the movies, in music, in sports and on the web.....as if something was uncapped and now that it has spilled everywhere we are under the impression that we just have to let it touch us all. But we don't. Parents please teach your very young kids not to use foul words but also refrain from using them as well. It is offensive and so unnecessary in everyday conversation.

babies teach us acceptance

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

NEVER uttered in my home growing up. Personally, I' pretty sure my mother would still
    send me to my room if I swore. Lol!!

I feel pretty strongly about swearing. We have a language that has limitless words to express ourselves. . .even in frustration, without the need for profanity.

Society continues to sink in the mire of it's lax morals and principals, and profanity is just one of them.

Let's think about this for a minute. Really. . . what do we find so shocking about little children swearing? Is it because it's shocking? repulsive? lacking innocence and purity we attribute to young children? Well isn't that just a tad hypocritical to have them "do as we say. . .not as we do"?

As far as swearing being prolific in society, that's true. But does that mean we have to "join in"? Swearing really is a mild form of verbal violence. Don't people usually swear when they feel angry or upset? AT some point, we have to regain our self control and have both self respect and respect for others in earshot.

Swearing in public to me is a bit like being exposed to off-colour jokes or ographic posters in a workplace. It's offensive to me. I'm not talking about the odd word slipping out here and there. That would be rigid and unreasonable. But if we can learn to be "politically correct" about a vast range of other things, can't we curb the profanity?
    Natalka, Lynn49, walkonby and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    ...can't we curb the profanity?...
    F^#% NO!...(just kidding in all seriousness, of course we can curb it)
    Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    Once again I'll step up and admit. I swear!...
    and F^#% YEAH, for being the first to just flat out admit it!

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    ...I especially hate the f-word and how much it's used in general in society and popular culture...
    Sorry Nat, I really am.
    The two response above just warranted that response.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    ...I can make a sailor blush now and then when the situation warrants it.....
    LoL Lynn...
    Name:  index.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  21.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    ...I don't have much of a filter when it is just DH and I...
    The Lady is like this with me too...see image above
    Last edited by danger_dan; Wed, Apr 22nd, 2015 at 04:18 PM.
    DANGER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information