User Tag List

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3914Likes

Thread: What small thing did you do today to save money?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Let's share the little things that save money and give us all reminders of things we can do each day that helps save a penny
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Saturday morning I made myself clean out a box of "important" papers. I'm embarrassed that I found tons of things: $25 GC for Foodland (was in a birthday card last year!) Tons of scratch tickets from another bday card I received (I scratched 1 and won $ My DS's birthday cards from 2 years ago- GC's for Toys R Us, Walmart, DQ and Cash!!!! So happy I finally cleaned out the box!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

This morning I called J&J to order my monthly coupons. I updated my profile on Health Essentials and ordered a new parent pack coupon. I called a different company with a valid complaint about the canned pears that I opened on the weekend. They are sending me coupons as compensation.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I looked at a receipt from Loblaws. Saw that I had an offer for $1.40 in points that was not awarded for buying romaine. Went into my points account to get my $1.40

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good job ladies! I think we need to pat ourselves on the back somedays for the small things we do

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I went home at lunch today and ate the leftovers from Friday nights dinner. Then emptied the 4 small vases of flowers that were dead from my mantel. The saving money part is my sister was going to toss them in the garbage after a birthday party (she went over the top) but I got to enjoy them for free I also gave my teen a list of things to do this afternoon so this saves me time which is sometimes more important then saving money

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Tonight I plan to wait till 7pm to start the washing machine even though I would like to do so as soon as I walk in the door. I plan on hanging it up to dry too so no dryer use. I so need to get back to doing so and today is the day! (I did hang stuff out on the weekend )

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I love this thread idea! My savings were pretty simple today, I packed a last-minute lunch (at least $6 savings) and got up early enough to catch the bus to work instead of paying of parking ($10 savings).

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I didn't leave the house.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great idea for a thread Frugalbigmama! I want to find a box of "important papers" like you did. lol. Christmas in July! Wahoo!

I put a load of wash on at 6 this morning and hung it on my inside racks. I also wait until 7 in the evening to put another load of wash on, or run the dishwasher. I also unplug anything that doesn't need to be plugged in. The little things do add up over time.

I am looking forward to learning a few money saving tricks aside from all the great tips on couponing and price-matching that I have picked up from this great site and it's awesome members. Thanks!
    @macw1960 : your post made me giggle.
    Last edited by Anna P; Mon, Jul 6th, 2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add in another comment.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

What a great idea for a post. I cleaned out my purse and came up with over 18.00 in change. Into the change jar it goes. Then once a month I take it to the bank and add it to the new car fund.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-i took my daughter-in-law's bill home today from walmart and got 1.50 for her from checkout51
    -also did a load of laundry for her before 7.00 a.m so cheaper
    -took my granddaughter at 8.30 to the playground as she doesnt have a slide or swing to play on in her backyard and it is 7 minutes away

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -i took my daughter-in-law's bill home today from walmart and got 1.50 for her from checkout51
    -also did a load of laundry for her before 7.00 a.m so cheaper
    -took my granddaughter at 8.30 to the playground as she doesnt have a slide or swing to play on in her backyard and it is 7 minutes away
    nice savings
    we do laundry on weekends and use the dishwasher after 7 PM too

your grand daughter is very lucky to have you; playground in the morning sounds like fun
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Jul 6th, 2015 at 08:38 PM.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

I bought a bag of bagels to toast for lunch each day this week. Cheaper than 1 toasted bagel with cream cheese from Timmy's.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

[QUOTE=Anna P;6425653] I also unplug anything that doesn't need to be plugged in. The little things do add up over time.

agree
    phantom power is a problem
    Burlington Hydro:

Combating Phantom Power Reduces Energy and Saves You Money

The shocking facts behind phantom power … Electronic devices left plugged in, even when turned off, still use a significant amount of power. It’s called phantom power, and it's costing you money. It's also costing our planet even more with wasteful carbon emissions.
    According to a new survey, three of every four Ontario residents are unaware of this invisible user that can account for up to 15 percent of your annual home electricity consumption.
    For the average Ontario household, which uses about 1,000 kilowatt-hours of power a month, phantom power can cost up to $100 a year.

To Curb Phantom Power
    The most effective way to eliminate standby power loss is to unplug your electronics when they are not in use. But there is a lot more you can do!

• For electronics/appliances that you do not unplug, use a surge protector or power bar with multiple outlets and switch off the entire strip when you are not using it. Using a power bar or suppression strip is especially useful if you are switching off several devices that are often used together such as a PC, a monitor and a printer.
    • "Smart strips" automatically detect changes in electricity current, and are excellent devices to automate powering on and off multiple devices.
    • Consider buying energy-saving devices that offer a real or hard "off" switch which eliminate standby power.
    • Take advantage of "soft off switches" or ‘computer silent modes’, but remember, even in this case, the devices are drawing phantom power.
    • Consider timers to turn off standby power to devices that are unused on a regular basis.
    • Replace battery-powered devices, such as cordless phones or rechargeable razors, with corded alternatives.
    • Make sure that the switch for your surge protector or power bar is in a position where it can easily be turned on and off.
    • Look for the ENERGY STAR label whenever you buy new electronics or appliances. ENERGY STAR identifies the most energy efficient products, which reduce energy use even in standby mode.
    • Conduct your own home energy inspection, probing for phantom power culprits, taking the opportunity to reassess your appliance use.

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information