• 5 Post By Lynn49
  • 5 Post By Natalka
  • 3 Post By matty's mom
  • 4 Post By walkonby
  • 4 Post By Rena13
  • 2 Post By matty's mom
  • 3 Post By Rena13
  • 1 Post By HorndoggJr.

Thread: Original Pam Cooking Spray for baking?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello again, my SmartCanucks friends!

I'm looking for people's experiences with using the Original Pam Cooking Spray for their baking pans. Not the special "baking" spray. Just the original, plain old yellow canned Pam.

Have you used it to grease your pans before baking? If so, does it actually work well and provide easy release of cakes/ loaves? Does it leave a yucky aftertaste or mess up your non-stick baking dishes at all?

I've never used it before. For cooking or baking and I don't want to try it for baking and have it mess up the final product.

Thank you all. I truly appreciate your comments and opinions!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    macw1960, walkonby, ticul and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It is the only one I use @Rena13 , and I have never tasted any aftertaste ( yucky or otherwise ) . I don't bake all that much but when i do that is what i use. I also use it to very very lightly spray my pancake pan ( even though it is coated and they say I don't have to ) and they slip off so easily after cooking!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I use both types of Pam, the regular is just fine, I do use the baking one for an intricate cake pan I have when I make Guinness gingerbread.
    I think the only thing that I have noticed is that cookies brown a bit faster on the bottoms. However I have switched to parchment paper for most cookies and bar cookies, I just like it better and makes cleanup a breeze.No aftertastes here wither!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you so much for the feedback! I knew I could count on you guys!
    I usually do the good ol' butter spread for greasing a pan. Sometimes that just takes too much effort though. I get lazy...
    Last edited by Rena13; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling oops!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Rena, apparently butter can burn baking more than others *unless you're using clarified butter*, so darker bottoms of cookies, cakes...shortening is best if you want to use an oil product, sprays are fine and that's what I use (Pam original), but mostly, like Thriftygranny, I use parchment paper. I love that everything comes out of pans so easily and it's lovely just peeling the paper back and revealing a lovely, golden bottom on cakes.
    I dampen the insides of the pans with a bit of water, and that helps 'stick' down the parchment so no fiddling with corners etc, when pouring batter.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This may be a silly question, as I've never used parchment paper. Do you put the cake/cookie batter directly on the parchment paper? No greasing the pan or paper at all?
    macw1960, ticul and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rena13 View Post
    This may be a silly question, as I've never used parchment paper. Do you put the cake/cookie batter directly on the parchment paper? No greasing the pan or paper at all?
    Yep. It's like miracle paper!

Oh. And you don't have to buy the expensive stuff; I learned that soon enough! The stuff at Dollarama or Walmart's brand are just fine.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 06:57 PM.
    macw1960, walkonby, ticul and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ I agree with the 'miracle' paper - discovered it a few years ago, and I use it for both baking and cooking - but it can only go to 400 degrees.
    Best brands for parchment I've found is no name, or Compliments from Sobey's - they go on sale for $2.

The original Pam is the only one I have ever used for baking - and even though for cookies I use parchment, Pam is best for muffins and cupcakes when I don't use liners, and I've used it in loaf pans for sweet breads, real bread, and for cakes.
    However, I'm a cheapskate, so I tend to just use margarine to grease pans....
    Lynn49, macw1960, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I generally use butter for fast breads, parchment for mostly anything greasy, meatballs included. I have a can of Pam. But I rarely use it. Why? Can I just say how much I LOVE the silicone inserts/mats. OMGoodness... They are awesome. I have two sets of Muffin tin inserts alone. They keep the batter moist better than anything else, (some cakes needs less liquid in the batter because of the lining) and they pop right off when the item is cooled. I find they really keep cookies from browning too much on the bottom.
    May be worth investigating?
    macw1960, ticul and Rena13 like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    I generally use butter for fast breads, parchment for mostly anything greasy, meatballs included. I have a can of Pam. But I rarely use it. Why? Can I just say how much I LOVE the silicone inserts/mats. OMGoodness... They are awesome. I have two sets of Muffin tin inserts alone. They keep the batter moist better than anything else, (some cakes needs less liquid in the batter because of the lining) and they pop right off when the item is cooled. I find they really keep cookies from browning too much on the bottom.
    that is funny! That is what I use when making muffins too, I got lots of the red and blue silicon liners from the Dollar store about 8 or so years ago. They are just so easy to use and I almost never have to clean the muffin pan after.
    Lynn49, matty's mom, ticul and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    I have the silicone mats for cookie sheets. I ALWAYS use those for baking my cookies. Love, love, love them. But greasing things like Bundt pans... ugh.... so annoying.
    Lynn49, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rena13 View Post
    I have the silicone mats for cookie sheets. I ALWAYS use those for baking my cookies. Love, love, love them. But greasing things like Bundt pans... ugh.... so annoying.

Ugh! Bunt pans...��. Most of my baking is wheat less so I use that bunt pan maybe once or twice a year. That maybe why I have had that Pam for so long!
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, Oct 30th, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
    macw1960 and Rena13 like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used parchment paper to bake my shortbread cookies this weekend. Love it! I need to stock up on it now. I may like it better than my silicone mats for cookies... maybe.
    Natalka, matty's mom and walkonby like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I Have used it myself and found it to work but if I sprayed to much a bit of a bitter aftertaste. I personally like the old fashioned way of greasing the pan with butter myself

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

i use Pam all the time and love it. I also have used the Kirkland brand of the same from Costco. It comes in a 2 pack, it is good too.
    Rena13 likes this.

Thread Information