User Tag List

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Need to get back into meal planning. Home from camping. Boys are back in school. Events and groups restarting.

Spending the weekend with my foot up and knitting. Maybe some transcriptions and finished one pc for repairs. (Yay extra income)

We ordered our boys xmas gift with back to school sales. I ordered stocking items yesterday to be shipped to my moms. 40 dollars less shipping it there than to here and we dont need to haul it down with us then. I found several gifts yesterday at the pharmacy on half price clearance and i'm so pleased with them.

Selling the bunk bed tomorrow so we have room for the new beds. Willl apply the money from the bunk bed to my brick card for the beds.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by saundyl; Sat, Sep 3rd, 2016 at 04:27 PM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    No gender updates on the baby as the technician said it was inconclusive. I think I'm the only person I know who's ever had 2/2 pregnancies with gender unknown and tried to know before the date. The technician kept writing "breech" over and over again on all the photos, so I hope that part of it isn't final. Third trimester will be approaching in a few weeks.

With all the bad news this summer, I suppose it was our turn for some of it soon. DH's mother was rushed to the hospital last week for vomiting blood. His dad couldn't resist and asked the technician who said it looked like cancer. She will be getting her treatment plan on Tuesday and everyone is trying not to worry until then. I'm a bit annoyed that the technician said that. If I can't be told the gender of a baby at an ultrasound, I don't think technicians should be able to go about handing out a cancer diagnosis and worry the family.

Last night, DH and I watched an episode of House where the patient said goodbye to her mother. I think we will stay away from medical shows for awhile.....

Sometimes I forget that this thread is supposed to be about finances. DH delivered the solid wood crib and sheet set for his co-worker and she "forgot" to give us any money until a week afterwards. I had pretty well written it off at that point. My first used item sale is exciting though!
    Oh wow. I hope baby turns! I hope its not cancer for your mil

I forget at times too but the little ups and downs of life also add or save in expenses!

Last edited by saundyl; Sat, Sep 3rd, 2016 at 04:28 PM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I agree FBM, when I watch others drop 200.00 on a few bags of food I think I am not doing so bad. I plan to spend my 40.00 in AM at metro. J&C pointed out a deal on steak and we are all out. But eating from the freezer and pantry last month resulted in spending about 60% of what we normally spend on groceries. This is good thing as we are having a 50th Anniversary party for my parents next weekend and I have put quite a bit out for that.
    A couple hundred on 2 or 3 bags here is normal...its just that expensive here
    esp if you dont buy only sale items as much as possible

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I will say that I spent just under 250.
    got a ton of past, beans, bbq sauce. . large bag of dog food, reg bag of cat food. and 4 sets of pj pants for my girls for Christmas. 4- 5.00 each.
    I also got all my reg shopping for the week
    My cart was very full. I also manged to get 12.00 ish in points.

I am just finding prices high. and some pkgs have gotten smaller.... grrrr.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Great Sobeys/Foodland deal. Buy 3 Cateli pasta sauce at $1.99 each get 50 airmiles. Bought 9 and will get more for food bank once they restock shelves. You can redeem airmiles too and still get bonus airmiles.
    Giseledta and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Lol, saundryl: I would expect you pay a lot more in the North, but when you have a billion stores to choose from then 250.00 goes far. Like Giseltda said its a full cart.
    I saw NF has the 900 g pasta on for 97 cents, so I will see if my Sobeys has the sauce offer FBM mentioned as I will stock up for a friend. We keep a bit extra in the budget to we can help out.
    Giseldta: the shrinking packages drive me insane. In fact the NF flyer indicated the pasta is 700-900 g. That is a huge decrease. The 3L milk was the worst, I was changing a bag every meal.
    I went to metro and took advantage of some AM offers, I have 50.00 worth of AM so I should get AM back for spending 60.00. I took advantage of the spend 20.00 on GM products get a 10.00 gift card and I earned 40 AM on the cereal.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well still tired today -my son /wife came and got ashlyn at 10.00-so rested for abit then went to shoppers spent 73 after cpns saved 9.00 from coupons and saved 5.00 checkout51
    -just got an invite in the mail yesterday for a baby shower next sat -so asked hubby if he wanted a mcdonalds coffee and off we went -gee never mind groceries some baby shower items are expensive-I bought 4 swaddlers -guaze type material 44.00-as the shower gift -and who asks for 4 washcloths for 22.99 thats just insane
    -I think its okay my daughter doesn't want a baby shower-you wouldn't believe how many people have told me just go ahead and have one for her -nope we put in towards a nice baby stroller

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Dinner done and kitchen clean. Oldest is at work and youngest is at a friends house. I am stuffed! Ceaser salad and a bbq'd burger did it!

I have started a box for the foodbank. DS and I are going to buy canned dog food for it as well since we are dog lovers and want to help out a family that may be on tough times.

Today was such a beautiful day. So sad that it is the long weekend before school starts already

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Went to a few garage sales this morning. Spent $4 and got the large Brita water container that sits in fridge and has spout and a large metal cradle holder that goes on wall and has about 12 tea light holders. I bartered on both and saved $3 from asking price.
    Angela273 and coupon girl like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I am pretty happy with Dinner tonight, since it was a pasta dish I only used half a chicken breast and Mom had no idea. It wasn't until after dinner when she looked in the fridge and saw the other half she realized how little chicken I used.
    Angela273 and jasperandchar like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Bf took the bed down tonight. Our oldest's room looks soooo much bigger without it in there. We also picked up a 2nd hand tall dresser for him. And will rehome the 6 foot long dresser that takes up an entire wall in his room.

Captains beds are ordered with 5 yrs warranty (splurge) the idea is that there wont be space to kick things under the bed plus with 4 drawers under it....there's more storage in their teenie rooms.

Supper was top sirloin steaks done in gravy in the slow cooker with mashed taters. Tomorrow ill have bbq chicken soup.

Still awaiting another lady to pick up 2 bags of clothing. Ill put the money into my splurge on me and bf account (i have one just incasr we ever do special stuff)

Last edited by saundyl; Sat, Sep 3rd, 2016 at 10:55 PM.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

There was a family get-together today, but it was cancelled because MIL came down with a horrible cold overnight. SIL promises that someone will call about the treatment plan Tuesday evening, but I'm not terribly eager to answer the phone. I can't remember if I've mentioned it, but the family just lost an aunt to lung cancer just a month ago so it's very fresh in everyone's minds.

Lately, I've had some bad curry and have just been feeling awful. I think the baby is not impressed either as it's been moving a lot. I hope it's not feeling the ill effects as well. My spice tolerance is quite low and I ate about seven chickpeas and a bit of sauce in total. The restaurant came as a recommendation so I let LO try it to know the difference between spice hot and temperature hot. She said "ouch" after the first bite, but wanted to try a little more. LO had two small smears of sauce, but it hasn't seem to have affected her. DH also had the curry and he said he felt the effects. Well, no more curry for me until that distant future when I can have sushi again. I can't sleep until the wee hours because of the nausea.

I've had some interesting shopping trips lately. Last week, when the Sunlight pods were on offer on CO51, it was completely out of stock at WM and RCSS. I crossed the parking lot to Fortinos and they had boxes full. The odour control variety was two cents more than WM's price, but the fabric care variety was $0.80 more. It was marked as $4.79 but rang in at $4.99 and I picked up an SCOP at customer service for one of them. I was quite happy since Fortinos took down their scanners years ago and you have to commit to putting the items on the belt for purchase.

Another incident happened today at RCSS. I had an offer loaded for 3500 points for pork WUS $15, another for 200 points per dollar spent on pork, and another for 4000 points WUS $40. The tenderloins were listed at $4.99/lb and I price matched them to $2.99/lb. I forgot that the PC point offers stack (nice surprise) and discovered that the PM stickers are like coupons. The points go on the original total, before discounts. When the final bill came through, it came to $1.75 for five pork tenderloins, and that was before the 4000 points earned for spending $40. I was quite pleased, though I wished I bought more and I wished that we had more than a tiny freezer atop the fridge. I redeemed $40 in points and ended up paying $5.96 in total.

I stopped at SDM for milk and spent $10.53 to earn 2000 points WUB $10 on food or snacks, and 10X points on milk. It came out to be 2820 points, which I thought worked out better than Giant Tiger's save $2 on $10 of food. An older lady in front of me dropped a coupon on the floor. When I told her, she said it was expired and she meant to toss it on the floor. People like that drive me a bit bonkers. Who empties their litter on someone else's floor?!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow: I love it when the shopping stars align like that. It makes up for the days when everything feels so expensive.
    I have ignored all the laundry soap deals recently. I did an inventory and I have enough soap to last 6-9 months so I am not buying for now.
    One of the frugal things I started this year was to always take advantage of the MIR for stuff we use. So far I am at 130.00. And it has meant not paying for dishwasher detergent and the resolve which I love.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good morning! Breakfast was eggs and toast. Kitchen is spotless now. Leftover burgers and homemade mac and cheese for lunch. Dinner will be a roast with mashed potatoes and gravy and broccoli. Will prep dinner soon and clean up so it will be easy clean up tonight. Going to tidy up bedrooms now and then get out to enjoy the sunshine!
    Angela273 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lazy day-DH is trying to get me going on an older laptop as my current one is flickering-don't really want to run out and buy a new one right now unless I have to. Rather than go out to eat today, I picked up a few specialty items at the more expensive grocery store to add to what we already have-nice to have something a little different for a change. Back to school(DD and DH lunch hr supervision) and the fall routine on Tuesday.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information