User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree916Likes

Thread: August (already) 2017 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Eighth month of the year is here--are we scrambling through calendars to see what must fit into August, September, October and November?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:35 PM.
    barbis9, walkonby and lilo0003 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

August 1 is also Senior's Day at the Hudson Bay stores! 15% off regular and sale prices. Probably the last hurrah for summer attire and patio needs or chance to get some new fall items for school/work/upcoming social occasions. Or maybe it's time for new furnishings.
    Angela273, barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

August 1st already!! Can't believe the long weekend is coming already. We are going to see a comedian on Friday night and have booked a free hotel room. Taking youngest DS with us so will enjoy the pool/hot tub and have a nice dinner before the show. He likes when we take him since we use comps to eat (free) and he can eat like a King lol.

Tonight is the last night of summer hockey. Championship game- going for Gold. But we are missing our goalie and another good player. Unfair for the rest of the team but what can you do. Summer vacation gets in the way.

Brought my breakfast (cheerios with fresh strawberries) and lunch (leftover meatloaf with baby potatoes and carrots) to work today. Think I will just work thru my lunch and leave early to pick up DS at camp. Then home to feed him head down to his hockey game. So nothing will get done at home tonight. Will have to get at stuff tomorrow night.

My sister gave me nice new black out curtains that I plan to use in my room (black instead of the ones I have now) So now I can paint my room and the new curtains will work! I hope to get cleaning/organizing my room next week and get started. Ideally I would like to have it done before I start my 2 week vacation so I can work on other stuff on the house.

Have a great day everyone!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

So happy it's a cooler day here.

Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

An hour ago, I was looking at the weather forecast and noticed a storm alert. I went to collect laundry from the lines and a passing rain cloud was spitting light rain. Rumbling here for about 15min now. Hot day as well with some breeze. May wait until suppertime to go on a bus and visit the mall for a needed item of clothing. Not keen to melt at the bus stop for the bus at all.

Collection crews seem eager to empty all the bins/cans before 2pm today-thank you! Did the green bin cart slosh with half pail of sudsy water (did not bother with rinse) and put a grocery flyer in the bottom. Left the lid open during the morning to let Ms Sunshine and company dry the interior. Saw that the resident chipmunk has been busy making more holes (saw a few) but one is right by the arbour area that I mowed on Sat. Could use some dirt to fill places and also even out the lawn (pothole city to my arms when mowing).

There were a few fajitas leftover from yesterday so they got some Nutella today to make rollups as part of my breakfast. Had some flavoured cooked rice, a peach mango Greek yogurt (not used to the thick stuff) and a banana too. Lunch-no idea what I could have and I don't want to turn on the stovetop.

Looking up some prices online. A small house but on the main street is listed for $1.249 million. The description offers prospective buyer chance to use the building as a medical office or knock down and buy a manse of dreams. Must have the zoning for it, I guess. No chance for someone wanting a family home within 10min of stores to get a crack at buying the property.
    Angela273, barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Well my July goal was to step up my frugal game as I was slacking. it was a good thing I did as we start August as a 1 income family for the 1st time since I was on mat leave 14 years ago. DH did have an interview today and it was a role that the organization reached out to him for as we had planned for him to take a few months off just to have some down time so he has not actually applied for any jobs. So whatever comes of the interview this is still very encouraging.
    I had a great month in savings and FB sales, this month is an eat from the pantry/freezer & use only points for grocery challenge.
    The garden is producing nicely so that will help.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have a foil packet of potatoes and onion in the oven. I also have chicken drumsticks on a parchment lined cookie sheet. We'll have fresh garden peas and sliced cucumber or cucumber salad with it. I felt pretty proud about getting it in the oven at 4pm.

Im going to our local health food store this evening for their monthly 20% off sale. We need more acidophilus in the fridge. Then I'd like to stop by Sobeys to try to fix my receipt from Friday. Lastly, I'm going to pick some stuff up from No Frills.

I'm going to try to keep track of the money I earn from selling extra produce from my garden. I have a person coming this evening. They want to buy all of the extra Swiss Chard in my garden. I ate a large ripe cherry tomato in the garden this morning.

We are planning another big garage sale for this Saturday. The forecast is for a high of 22, which will be the coolest Saturday since June. I kept my cash float from our last garage sale, so that's one less thing I'll need to do. It'll be a lot of work, but we usually make out ok. It won't be our last garage sale of the year. We always do it as a Saturday only sale. We set up in our driveway, we have way more than what would actually fit to display in our garage. We have a great location and I'm good at the free online advertising.

edit: Our twins have been sick for the last two weeks. Dh sent me a text that twin boy wanted me, so I didn't make it to NF.

I like Swiss chard both raw and cooked. Dh will only eat it raw, in a salad. I've just been somewhat lazy...swiss chard takes a fair bit of washing to get all the dirt out of the underside bumps of the leaves.

So far this summer I have earned $25 for my red rhubarb and $4 for Swiss chard tonight.
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Admire your produce sales especially with the Swiss chard, @Angela _273! Maybe someone loves the greens in salads or smoothies?

Tonight I decided it's hot enough to try making smoothies for at least one meal per day this week. I purchased the vanilla flavoured hemp protein fibre powder (ags it has coconut sugar too) and two kinds of almond milk at Fortinos. My Shoppers still had some frozen raspberries so I got two bfor $7. I don't have broccoli but sliced up some ribs of celery that were starting to soften and added them to the powder, berries, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup almond coconut milk and blended the lot to put into the fridge. Sibling has to sleep through the morning, so I won't disturb his rest with the appliance. I expect my smoothie to maybe set firmly overnight due to the celery.

There were some soaking rains in the afternoon-everything got its tall glasses of water. I did my errands wearing my glasses tonight and either I need a few more days to get used to the stronger lenses or my right lense is really weird-I feel like the lens material is not focusing straight ahead but making my eye feel slightly cross-eyed (each lense is a different strength as my left eye has gotten worse over the past two years). If I raise my eyebrows and fully my eyes, I seem to have both eyes looking at the same direction but if I let my eyes relax, my right eye seems to be looking slightly left while left eye is straight ahead or skewed a tad to the right. My brain was getting frazzled.

I have been wanting to use the fresh rosemary (from the plant outside) with garlic and squash (which needs to be purchased). Must practice patience as temperatures fall somewhat on the weekend, then I can use the toaster oven to roast the squash in two batches. The chopped garlic becomes a creamy taste of wonder.
    Angela273, barbis9 and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -have your chickens been processed yet for the freezer or is that happening later this month?
    Angela273 and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Frugal this week as there is very little shopping to do.

Have a great day, all!

Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ate my smoothie out of the Ziploc container-I liked crunching the raspberry seeds but concede that 1 cup of celery was too much (though it did add some crunchiness). 1/2 cup only for the next smoothie. Made a good judgement call on using less than 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon-slight aroma was greeting me after I opened the container and stirring the smoothie. For me, a smoothie needs a relaxed period of time at the table to enjoy the beverage or I'd probably find some crispy snacks or crackers instead. Amazing what I'll think about during breakfast!

Today's morning will be relatively dry while the afternoon has more rain/thunder waiting to roll. Want some of the rain to water down any wildfires still in action in the Western provinces. Europe could use some rain for its fires as well.
    Angela273 and barbis9 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Hump day! Left the AC on even though it felt cool to me when I drove DS to hockey camp early this morning. Heard on radio on way to work that it will be another muggy day so glad I left it on. The dog was groomed on Monday so she is feeling much cooler now.

Reviewed the upcoming sale flyers and happy with the deals. Will be a good week for fresh stuff. Both my kids love their fruit so will be stocking up on the deals so they can get their fill.
    Tonight after DS's ortho appt. we have a free night. So dinner and tackle a project on the to do list.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Today is a cool day, a high of only 17. We got about 1/5" of rain overnight and expect more throughout the day. I think it might be an inside day today. I'd like to do some baking. Possibly banana bread or apple rhubarb crisp.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Being frugal was on my mind this morning as I inquired from Ma Bell about how can I get Crave tv and how much more would it cost?
    A Long....very long wait as CS rep checked many things but in the end we get to keep everything we presently have ( all our channels, the same receiver, our 6 movie themes and HD sports ) but now we will have Crave too! The difference in the bill will be .55 more!!
    That made my day!
    Now I can watch ray Donovan!!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I'm taking advantage of the cooler weather. I just pulled brownies and a banana bread from the oven. I'll run to NF when Dh gets home. I'm joining a friend at Mr. Mikes tonight. It's the newest place in town and neither of us have gone there yet. I'll probably order an appetizer.

Tonight: supper plan is deer roast and veggies stir fry with egg noodles. The roast was previously cooked and frozen from a very large roast that my dad gave us.
    Thursday: I plan on roasting a big bone in ham that I bought from the CO-OP a while ago. Not sure what we'll have with it. I love canned pineapple with fresh roast.
    Friday: home made waffles with leftover roast ham and fresh fruit.
    Saturday: lunch leftover roast ham with KD and mixed veggies or fresh fruit. We plan on having our garage sale that day. Dh tends to want to grab A&W when we have a garage sale, but I try to discourage that. I still keep coupons in my purse, just in case.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information