User Tag List

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree773Likes

Thread: Covid-19

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hopefully people will only trick and treat in their own household. i wanted the gov't to cancel halloween so that we can save christmas... i'm still in disbelief that we reached the 40m mark globally.
    cath007 and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

EU removes Canadians from list of approved travellers because of COVID-19

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/eu-...nada-1.5770782
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
    hopefully people will only trick and treat in their own household. i wanted the gov't to cancel halloween so that we can save christmas... i'm still in disbelief that we reached the 40m mark globally.
    Yes.
    Heard some creative ideas. Like setting up a candy station at the end of your drive way with tongs for the parent to take the candy. You sit on your front porch social distanced.
    Or holding a candy hunt in your home, hiding the treats under couch cushions etc so it is easy for the kids to find the candy. This also includes a movie night at home. The kids can also wear a costume and send their pics to grandparents, friends, classmates at school.
    luvthefree likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

this is not good news:

Emerg Infect Dis

. 2020 Oct 13;27(1). doi: 10.3201/eid2701.203515.

Online ahead of print. Waning Antibody Responses in Asymptomatic and Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection

Abstract

We investigated the kinetics of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 neutralizing antibodies in 7 asymptomatic persons and 11 patients with pneumonia. The geometric mean titer of neutralizing antibodies declined from 219.4 at 2 months to 143.7 at 5 months after infection, indicating a waning antibody response.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33050983/
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by heartgirl99 View Post
    this is not good news:

Emerg Infect Dis

. 2020 Oct 13;27(1). doi: 10.3201/eid2701.203515.

Online ahead of print. Waning Antibody Responses in Asymptomatic and Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection

Abstract

We investigated the kinetics of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 neutralizing antibodies in 7 asymptomatic persons and 11 patients with pneumonia. The geometric mean titer of neutralizing antibodies declined from 219.4 at 2 months to 143.7 at 5 months after infection, indicating a waning antibody response.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33050983/
    Yes, this is bad news. That would mean getting a shot every 2-3 months until the body can recognize COVID on it's own and fight on it's own.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Ford just announced changing from stage 1, 2, and 3 to
    Lockdown, Red=Control, Orange = Restrict (e.g. Toronto), Yellow=Protect (e.g. Durham), Green= Prevent (e.g. London or Peterborough)
    We had to know our numbers. Now we need to know our colours

JadeAngel and dyalect like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Ford just announced changing from stage 1, 2, and 3 to
    Lockdown, Red=Control, Orange = Restrict (e.g. Toronto), Yellow=Protect (e.g. Durham), Green= Prevent (e.g. London or Peterborough)

In Ford we don't trust. This rainbow stuff is for the birds. Full lockdown of Ontario by Dec. Schools included.

You lockdown one area those people just go elsewhere to shop and frolic.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ford just announced changing from stage 1, 2, and 3 to Lockdown, Red=Control, Orange = Restrict (e.g. Toronto), Yellow=Protect (e.g. Durham), Green= Prevent (e.g. London or Peterborough)
    Quote Originally Posted by dyalect View Post
    In Ford we don't trust. This rainbow stuff is for the birds.
    Not to be contradictory to your point, and I appreciate that you've had a change in the system, but the "color" system is actually pretty much the standard in this situation. Several locales are using the colour system simply because people often confuse the order/severity of numbers. (Is 1 the worst? or is 5 the worst?) You often hear "On a scale of 1 to 10..." followed by "1 being the best" or "10 being the best" -- because different people use that scale differently.

But it's fairly universal (not even in the pandemic sense) that colours hold the same meaning: RED is typically "critical" and ORANGE is "warning"... YELLOW is "cautionary", and "GREEN" is all-clear.

It's not like there's purple, brown, cyan, indigo, burnt sienna, etc because those colors don't automatically mean anything.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Nov 12th, 2020 at 08:35 AM.
    coupon girl, Linda Evans and Arjon like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Not to be contradictory to your point, and I appreciate that you've had a change in the system, but the "color" system is actually pretty much the standard in this situation. Several locales are using the colour system simply because people often confuse the order/severity of numbers. (Is 1 the worst? or is 5 the worst?) You often hear "On a scale of 1 to 10..." followed by "1 being the best" or "10 being the best" -- because different people use that scale differently.

But it's fairly universal (not even in the pandemic sense) that colours hold the same meaning: RED is typically "critical" and ORANGE is "warning"... YELLOW is "cautionary", and "GREEN" is all-clear.

It's not like there's purple, brown, cyan, indigo, burnt sienna, etc because those colors don't automatically mean anything.
    Fwiw, back when the numbered phase system was implemented, I wondered why it wasn't color-coded. Better late than never, I suppose. That said, it's a pretty minor difference IMO; how either system is implemented matters MUCH more than numbers vs. colors. The real, core issue is that Ford continues to act slowly and softly compared to what most medical experts are advising.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    Fwiw, back when the numbered phase system was implemented, I wondered why it wasn't color-coded. Better late than never, I suppose. That said, it's a pretty minor difference IMO; how either system is implemented matters MUCH more than numbers vs. colors. The real, core issue is that Ford continues to act slowly and softly compared to what most medical experts are advising.
    I agree that from a medical standpoint the actions seem soft, but I think that role isn't strictly medical. For example, I could easily enter a lock down again and I am able to modify my activities (being a semi-introvert helps) but I am also not running a business that's totally going under or losing the only way of life I have known. I think trying to work for the most common good is what's happening and in that, I think that a good job is being done. There are simply people who will not comply regardless of what is asked of them, what evidence is presented or fines levied.

And don't get me started about these halfwits protesting in Aylmer and apparently, St. Thomas this weekend...
    Shwa Girl and Thatdone like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Legault mulls temporarily closing schools this winter to reduce spread of C19

Quebec Premier François Legault says schools might have to close this winter, extending the holiday break in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.
    Schools and workplaces have the highest rates of transmission, Legault said during his Thursday news briefing.
    The premier said 1,174 classes are currently shut down due to positive cases, 324 of those in the last two days alone. It is clear, he said, that schools are a vector for the virus in the province.
    Closing schools in advance of the December holiday break, or extending the break after the holidays, may be a way to give the province a better shot at stopping the second wave.
    That could then mean extending the school year into the summer — as far as July, he said. He said the government has been in discussion with unions about this possibility as it would affect teachers and staff as well.
    "Schools are a place of transmission," said Legault.
    "Children have already lost many days of schools last spring, but we have to consider all our options to break the wave."

Shwa Girl likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alex78 View Post
    I agree that from a medical standpoint the actions seem soft, but I think that role isn't strictly medical. For example, I could easily enter a lock down again and I am able to modify my activities (being a semi-introvert helps) but I am also not running a business that's totally going under or losing the only way of life I have known. I think trying to work for the most common good is what's happening and in that, I think that a good job is being done. There are simply people who will not comply regardless of what is asked of them, what evidence is presented or fines levied.

And don't get me started about these halfwits protesting in Aylmer and apparently, St. Thomas this weekend...
    So "the most common good" means it's alright to sacrifice lives instead of jobs???? And the rules shouldn't be tightened up just because some people won't follow them anyway????

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alex78 View Post

Was just thinking, some of the increase in case could be related to Hallowe'en parties - little ones and adults. It's 13 days since the event. Incubation is 10-14 days and as long as 20 days.

Heard about some large weddings in Vaughan, Toronto and Guelph (Mennonite), and, you guessed it--> cases at each event

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Was just thinking, some of the increase in case could be related to Hallowe'en parties - little ones and adults. It's 13 days since the event. Incubation is 10-14 days and as long as 20 days.

Heard about some large weddings in Vaughan, Toronto and Guelph (Mennonite), and, you guessed it--> cases at each event
    Unfortunately, there are some people who simply won't follow the guidelines for gathering size. In addition, there are other, possibly many more, who don't understand that following those guidelines isn't actually safe. It's just less risky than being in even larger groups.
    crafter likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I was dumbfounded reading this article this morning. 30% of Snowbirds still heading south this winter via plane flights.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sno...d-19-1.5799456
    coupon girl likes this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information