User Tag List

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree2380Likes

Thread: September 2022 Frugal Chatter; Almost Fall and Harvest time !!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I have trim to paint outside. I just tackled some of it. Sure does take longer then you think it will!
    Figure if I do a bit every few days I will get it done!

Having a lunch break. Making some Annie's mac and shells because I just don't really feel like anything but have to eat something. I like these because I can actually put the leftovers in the fridge and they will get eaten (unlike KD yuck).

I need to go to the town and pay my final payment for property taxes this year. I like to pay at the town for the last payment so they can confirm it is paid in full and get a receipt.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    I probably will be reading/posting here until Sept. 18. After that, I'm not likely to be online as my health is slipping away and I expect Bro will want his computer back for his use. Intend for Wed-Sat to be focused on things to prepare for the end and also allow myself a good cry ( I know I need a good long sob session to let it all out).

I'm tearing out pages from encyclopedia books (sewn in so well plus the dampness of the basement means I have to do horizontal tears before I can rip vertically; pages are too moisture-laden to tear along spine). (Recycling does not take hardcover books, so I will recycle the paper and toss out the covers in a bag to fit into our one garbage container.) 5 volumes down last night, 25 more to go...that bookstand is going upstairs to hold all the books from the armoire I could not fit in the drawers in another piece of furniture. Tomorrow I have to figure how to dismantle or make holes in the armoire-it absolutely must exit by Tuesday so I get the dining room back in order.

Loved the cool and breezy day-the drizzling rain of the morning and afternoon is most welcome. Did a walk to post some mail then off to Walmart to get some first aid items (just need more tape from another store as each store carries only partial range of Nexcare tapes-loving the Soft & Stretch tape with perforations, stronger than paper tape but not as ouchy as clear plastic tape). Wednesday's plan is a last grocery walk in town to use the $30 something on debit card (I don't have enough for delivery plus taxes and min $35 order) after I get some grass cut (noticed some areas have really grown in the past 48h).

Saturday-made that rice pudding in the morning after yard work was done and mmm for several helpings enjoyed all day!

Fridge-had to toss out mushy cucumber sections as I wanted cucumber for snacking and saw mush! Made do with withering leaf lettuce (plan to finish eating it all by Tues am) and salad dressing. Am eating the last of the blue plums (won't be anything for baking on Tuesday) today. Tuesday will be rosemary focaccia and butternut squash with spinach/pesto making day. I will have two containers of basil pesto left after the squash recipe so it will be pesto with pasta or bread or whatever else I can pair it with for the rest of the week! Had enough of the sausages (finished the last one yesterday).

Do check out on Youtube Johnny Strides' Friday TIFF (Sept 9) walk down King Street West. He passed by Bell's 360 Camera booth-someone stands on the centre disk while a ring light on a rotating arm spins around the person. Not sure what final result looks like but it was interesting to see.

One last bus trip on Saturday might occur but it will depend on how I feel/weather. It's a stretch goal-the Montreal firm that buys collectibles is back in Hamilton Thur-Sat and I'd like to sell off the tin signs with 7Up on it.
    @Ciel21
    If ever there was a time to say I have no words this would be it. Your post has smacked us all straight on, you are one brave soul. Have that good cry, in no way can I pretend to understand what you are experiencing but I certainly appreciate the serious tone and finality of it all. God Bless.
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 8 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Today is becoming one of those days, I am not getting the big things done but a lot of little things are getting done.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and Berry Sauce are done and in the fridge and ready for the week to come.

I had some avocados I turned into some Guc for today's lunch, I will take the leftovers for lunch when I go to the branch. Fun fact, I am better at eating at working when I take snacky things I can just snack on during the day so Guc and Nachos is perfect.

Mom said she wanted Wings for Dinner, so I will make myself BBQ Chicken Chunks I can turn into BBQ Chicken Caesar Wraps. I will have leftover Chicken Chunks so one day this week I will BBQ Chicken Caesar Salad for lunch.

Even when I work from home, lunches are a challenge for me unless we have leftovers I can just grab.

Now to decide what we will have with dinner, thinking maybe homemade potato wedges. That way everything can just go in the oven and keep it simple.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yesterday I took my King size comforter to the laundromat to wash. WOW prices have gone up since the last I went.
    They had some washers that cost $8 per wash!!
    Paid $4.50 to wash it in the mid size washer and then brought it home to hang to dry.

I have a load of laundry on the go now. Will hang it to dry when done. Nice to keep up on the laundry.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@Ciel21 to say your absence will be noted here is an understatement not only on this thread but all of SC, you keep us informed and share so much helpful content. You are such a part of us. I admire your courage and bravery and hope that you will know how much you will be missed.
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 6 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good late evening!!! I readed 2 novels in 2 days ,I have 2 more to read from this series. Reading is such a pleasure I had fogetten over the past years.
    Just booked my appointement for my blood test in october.
    Yes @Ciel21 : you will be missed so much in SC.
    Have a good rest of the evening and night
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I managed to get a few items off my to do list tonight so I feel a little less behind. I also need to stop staying up until 1 am. I am too old and it’s catching up to me.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Friends, thank you for your heartfelt comments! I've really gotten through the highs and lows of life since joining SC about 13 years ago. Your friendship, debates, rants, advice and more have helped me to keep going despite whatever is going on. I do believe I have in turn given you something to laugh at, debate, rant at or even make you go "oohhh" occasionally. The Universe better deliver on connecting me to the rest of the knowledge once I go over to the afterlife-I read a book where the author indicated the deceased get connected to the bits held back when we come into the world as mortals but we return to our full selves after mortality. That means I am expecting explanations about the family @#$% that has occurred in my life--did I sign up for it or what?
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 7 others like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The encyclopedia recycling quest has been achieved! The bookstand is holding those other books but I added a box of baking soda to the stand after I cleaned it a second time with wood cleaner. The particle board/wood finish does smell of basement...hoping it goes or I may see if I can get the stand out into the sun to see if the smell goes away. At least there are only three steps to go out the back door. I almost lost my grip on the stand going up the long stairs but told myself I was nearly there. Thankful I had my leather work gloves on.

No progress on the armoire (I'm certain I have to deal with glued joints as well-can't see screw holes for the shelving anywhere). Those staples on the back piece of (1/4")board are firmly embedded. Have to find a slender metal thing to get under the staples without causing snapped metal. Or maybe I'll just get a drill and see how much mess drilling holes makes (will have to drape the dining room table and chairs).

Late lunch-decided I could heat the frozen onion rings as enough breeze was coming through the windows. Compliments brand-the coating does not have much flavour but the onions were tasty and the rings were of various thicknesses.

What great soaking rains the morning brought to town! Noticed usual gutter spots seem to have debris as the waterfall effect was noticed in three spots. Liked the cooler air though Ms Sunshine was hot and humid.

Bro sent a few images of the visit to Mom's hometown. Sad to see rundown state of late maternal grandparents' home-no idea if a cousin is still living in one of the buildings on the site with family or if he's moved. Bro, Mom and aunt went to see his sister last weekend. There are other cousins of ours that Mom and Aunt would like to find for last visit if possible. I think they have visited my Aunt and her younger daughter from Dad's side of family (no pics as yet).

I am looking forward to making focaccia and getting the butternut squash ready for the oven tomorrow! Yay for cooler temperatures. Please bring more 20-25C days...just not the humidity... Off to sleep -have a great evening!
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@cath007 So glad you are getting your reading done! When a book is engaging, you find reasons to keep on reading even if you need to be doing something else! Excellent memories of happy reading hours.
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good day!

Yeah it's almost hump day! Can't wait for the weekend.

Yesterday was pretty productive (2 loads of laundry done, painting, kitchen clean)

Tonight I will make dinner (chicken on the bbq with veggies and salad and putter in the garage while bbqing. Will get DS to move some things to the shed and then the garage is ready for parking in. I will put away the laundry that was hung to dry yesterday. Towels will be folded and put away too. Laundry is up to date. Now that DS doesn't have to wear a uniform and I "think" there may be a girl he is interested in since they seem to be hanging out every night...his showers and laundry are adding up! Haha!

Tomorrow I will pop in No Frills for the mushrooms and peppers on sale. (Its on my way home after dropping DS at work) Thinking this is a great price and will buy lots of peppers and chop them for the freezer. It sure makes adding them to stuff down the road easier when the work (and mess) is done!

Have a wonderful day!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

@Ciel21 thank you for sharing your life with us here on SC we’re all the better for it. You have been such a blessing and encourager to many @SillyLoocie was that way too.
    I admire you for the way you are handling yourself and the example you have set for the rest of us.
    May you know an abundance of God’s grace,peace,comfort, strength and love in the days ahead.
    Giseledta, harbie, barbis9 and 3 others like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

@Ceil21 you are very brave. i will miss you .
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 3 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

ok.. lots of little things done in th e past couple of days. all in alll while i know i am being productive. i certainly dont feel like i am . its a weird feeling.
    this am... i put beans in the crock pot... at lunch i added gr beef and veggies. we are having chili for supper. i will freeze the left overs. did the beans from scratch... not canned... not a big savings. but a savings . used up some veggies inthe fridge.
    we had rain alll am... so ... lots of crafts, and dancing, . made playdough ... kids are happy. i will hopefully be able to take them out this afternoon.

made a couple of changes to the budget. i am trying to pay off a bit of debt. and save up for 2 yard projects i want to do next year
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 4 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Notes on the butternut squash recipe (just popped in that tray of laden butternut squash halves into the oven about 10minutes ago):

2 x 100g wedges of fontina cheese-I had a half wedge left of second cheese (was surprised that I easily got 2.5 cups from those wedges) so plan will be to use it for homemade pizza with my fave pizza sauce, a couple of Mom's ripened tomatoes (they are on the counter and reddening by the day), and some leftover basil pesto. Since those wedges were $7.99 each, use this recipe for those you love (or if you have someone you love that is visiting with someone you don't love, you might earn points for effort but only you know if that effort is worthwhile). Can see this recipe as a great tween cooking effort for those wanting to learn other meal ideas!

grating the garlic cloves-don't have time for that! Garlic press to the rescue!

I trimmed the baby spinach stalks off the leaves before using them in the mixture. So much for spreading the mixture-more like clumps of mixture in the cavities and on the rest of squash. Visual-you are making a messy veggie submarine x 4! Topped off with shredded fontina cheese! I was contemplating rolling the leaves and finely slicing them but was getting a bit behind with prep.

Since I don't have a microwave to do the 5min cook with pierced squash prior to filling then baking, I still pricked the squash on the outside and will bake the squash for 30min not the 25 min indicated in the recipe.

I have so much ricotta cheese left over. While I know it can be used in desserts, I will see if any herbed gougere or biscuit recipe can use up the leftover.

Squashes-they were med size. I made mistake of topping and tailing the squashes. One squash's cavities opened directly to the open bottom so I recommend not tailing the squash in case there is no wall left afterwards.

Time to wash the dishes and get the focaccia started! Another drizzly day with random bursts of sunshine. All recycling is gone! Have to see if the mail has anything ...

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information