User Tag List

Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Like Tree5611Likes

Thread: Thankful for Savings - October 2014 Frugal chatter thread

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Had the inlaws over tonight for turkey, mashed rutabaga, mashed potatoes, fried yellow beans, gravy and I'm stuffed like a turkey myself (lol). Sent them home with a doggie bag as I don't want to eat turkey everyday for a week (smile)
    I would love a doggie bag. Hubby doesn`t really like turkey so I don`t bother cooking it for myself. It was a real treat.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Made honey almond granola this morning, then made cows in a parka for lunch (and the freezer)-it's just homemade wiener wraps, 4 loaves of bread (attempted to make 1 loave cinnamon raising), a birthday cake for tomorrow and dinner. I'm all kitchen out. I still need to make pesto stuffed chicken for the freezer.

This summer we invested in a large upright freezer. We had a chest one, but the upright one has been well worth it. I can freeze so much more and freeze meals much easier.

Making meals and freezing them has been my biggest money saving idea/tip/tool. I love the whole idea of cook once eat twice (or thrice!)
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-ohh insane my brother has an upright freezer in his apt-way better than the small freezer down my basement -could hardly reach the bottom of mine to clean it (hubby had to help)
    Andit, Crochetlady, Insane and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -ohh insane my brother has an upright freezer in his apt-way better than the small freezer down my basement -could hardly reach the bottom of mine to clean it (hubby had to help)
    Hubby had to saw out a whole in the garage for it. We still have the chest freezer upstairs though. Hubby is hoping that eventually I'll part with my chest freezer. But truth be told, I kinda have sentimental attachments to it. I bought it when I was 9mths pregnant with my first. I had to walk in the scorching heat along a very busy road (with no sidewalk, so there I was VERY pregnant walking in a ditch!) to get to a bus stop after I bought it at the brick. I remember buying it very clearly. Choosing it, purchasing it, I remember it all (and yet I can't keep my kids' names straight!) It was the first thing we bought for "our place" We were to move in together days later. As silly as it sounds, I'm kinda attached to it. It's over 13yrs old now!!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

We have both an upright freezer and a small chest freezer. We actually had the upright freezer first which we like for meat and freezer meals. But it didn't leave me much room for large bags of veggies or loaves of bread (If I can get bread on clearance for $1 or less I will buy 6-10 loaves lol). So we bought a used small chest freezer off kijiji.

I also love freezer meals If I am going to run the oven or bbq might as well make 2 or 3 of the same meal and freeze the extras. Works really well for meat loaves, hamburgers, lasagnas etc... Since I have a vacuum sealer I have also cooked up large squashes, mashed them and then froze half. Also have done this with mashed potatoes.

Yesterday since I was already using the oven to make a pizza, I prepped 2 batches of muffins while the pizza was cooking so I could pop them in the oven as soon as the pizza was done. Since the oven was already on I might as well cook something else right after instead of having to heat the oven up again later on.
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Mon, Oct 27th, 2014 at 06:32 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I was just checking my Hydro usage for yesterday and it cost me the same amount to run the oven for 1 hr at lunch time to cook a pizza and then 2 batches of muffins as it did a dinner time to broil steaks for 10 min. Yep definately saves money to do batch cooking

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Insane glad you are back and up and running with your replacement laptop, good grief so sorry for all the lemons you got. Its so nice seeing you post again.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Insane and 2 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Name suggestions wanted for November thread!!! Don't be shy!!!
    Andit, Crochetlady and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

It's so nice to finally (!!!) see sunshine again! It seems like there's been dark gloomy skies for nearly 2 weeks now (only nice sunny day I can remember is the day of the funeral). Have errands to run today, so hoping the little patient behaves herself and doesn't scratch at her booboo (so far she's been mostly good, can't fault her for being uncomfortable now that it's healing and itchy). Short one has sent poor Lily dog off to her bed, he's in the king-of-the-universe you must obey me mode. Guess who just got sent to jail?

Lots of chores that are being put on hold lately (too busy playing with the brats, I know where my priorities lie ), so will have to tackle those later. Or tomorrow. Or whenever.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I've got my turkey carcass going on the woodstove, going to make soup. Using the woodstove as we have a fire going as the back door is still not in and well a tarp doesn't keep the basement too warm. Dh is gone to get an oil change and then we're supposed to work on the door.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Name suggestions wanted for November thread!!! Don't be shy!!!
    Here are my names

MoSavings frugal chatter
    MoVember more savings
    MoMoney chitter chatter
    November frugal friends

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

We have an upright that is well organized, meats by shelf (chicken, moose, pork, etc) and the chest freezer is excess so bread, frozen meals, baking, etc.....this system seems to work well BUT again I am the one who organized it (lol) and the one who navigates the freezers and sends search parties for supplies. I don't think we could downsize to 1 freezer but definitely don't need a 3rd atleast not at the moment.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Insane and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Question of the Day????

Do you read your meter reading for Hydro?

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

good morning all.. up a little later today. dh was gone most of yesterday with family, then in late, up til about 1am talking about his day.
    i know my week is packed, just need to get er done.
    i can't think of names so.. MoSavings frugal chatter sounds good to me.. cuz, more savings is always good.

Still in awe that Saturday is November..
    off to vote today too. of course i can't find our voter cards.. we all have id do not worries.
    @Insane ..not crazy. we bought our chest freezer 19 years ago. that darn thing has been everywhere, still works hard.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I would love an upright freezer. Was given an old small chest one that is great for the moment (I store more at Grams house!) But I want the large upright and worried it won't fit down the stairs to the basement so don't want to just get a smaller one for the sake of getting it and not be happy. I love having pasta sauce ready made in the freezer for quick dinners. And homemade burger patties!

Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread Information