User Tag List

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree2563Likes

Thread: October 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread All Welcome!!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Ciel: the smooth cottage cheese is like yogurt, it's creamy. DH loves it so I was happy to get my box today. Lots of great samples. I loved the full sized Tylenol. I received the arthritis one as well.
    So still no furnace, dh is convinced we can make it until November. It's my fault. I created a monster. I did set the oven to self clean tonigt. It needed to get done and it warmed the house up by 3 degrees.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Lilo we are with you and trying to hold out as long as possible. We talked about it last night as we were supposed to get snow over night but then when I looked at the forecast we go back up to 15 on Saturday with rain. SO far we are holding out but extra blankets have been put on the beds and there are a couple on the couch to cuddle up under.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh my goodness I admire you ladies who delay putting their furnace on, or in Angela's case were without one. Ours has been on at least 3 weeks I am sure but the overnight temps have been below freezing. I don't mind being a little cooler but my daughter has Renaud Syndrome( poor circulation to hands and feet) and the doctor advised her to try to avoid getting too cold.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Thu, Oct 27th, 2016 at 11:07 AM.
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Yup ours has been on as well Lizzie, it sure was a cold fall here.
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

DH works at home so he is the brave one. But Its supposed to get to 18 year on Saturday so that may help him avoid it until November. The fireplace repair is supposed to happen today and that is key to not turning on the furnace. This is when living in a smaller home makes a huge difference. We are just a three bedroom bungalow and they kids will wrap up in blankets when in the basement.
    I just remembered I have two FPCs for oasis juice that expire at the end of the month. I would be so annoying with myself if I did not use them so I am putting them in my wallet and setting a reminder on my phone.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Yay! I have a working furnace. He discovered a couple of other small problems, but he was able to easily fix it.
    I'm so happy for you. With the temperature changes at this time of year, all it takes is one switch in the wind direction and we could be set for a deep freeze or warm front. With your young children, I was a bit worried.

I know with my LO, she refuses to wear any blankets through the night, so I have to dress her like she'll be wearing no blankets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    just heard from my daughter-Sebastian was 6 weeks yesterday and he is 11pds 13 oz -yeah he is a fussy baby sometimes but loves breast feeding -my daughter ventured to do grocery shopping yesterday with him -and she didn't get thru the order(she was going thru self scan -but a cashier came and helped her with the fruit and veggies ) when he started screaming (a man said hey all the power to you for going out my son was like that -it does get better he said )
    -oh and ashlyn has been running to the toilet the past 2 weeks peeing -with only a dribble on her undies (which she makes me change-I need new ones nana)today -infact she gave her one sleeve of diapers size 5 to Sebastian cause babies wear diapers she said -but she was waiting til nap to poo in her pull-ups well son just told me she went in the toilet today -so she had to call and tell me on the phone -ahhhh
    Good for Sebastian! When LO was born, she was a healthy weight but she remained around 10 pounds for the first three months, putting her on a weekly weight check-in at the doctor's. She was going through heavy diapers, and feeding well, so it was a bit of a puzzle for us. Now she's gained it all back and more and most of my friends told me that their girls were the exact same. I feel sorry for anyone who goes against her on a see-saw in the playground unless they're two years older with her weight now.

LO has no diapers throughout the day since she's been 2 years, 1 month, but at night, she always has so much I have to change the bed almost daily. There doesn't seem like there's any diaper capable of holding the volume, so laundry is frequent. I've heard from the toilet training materials that small dribbles do not count as long as they do the main job in the toilet.

My friend also has a girl who has been dry overnight since she was 10 months old, so I don't know how she and Ashlyn do it. My mom is quite surprised that LO is using diapers still. Vive la difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Keen on the Astro yogurt; I will have to think about a quiche to use the cottage cheese and want the whipped cream product in the pantry should a cake need decorating.

You were correct about there being no tax on bread! I purchased a $1.64 Old Mill sliced loaf today and no tax was charged. I'm feeling a keen need for toast and tea-everyday I feel a tad on the cold side or am sneezing or feeling a scratchy throat.
    @Ciel : You might want to taste the cottage cheese before you use it in a quiche. LO loves the lemon one and calls it "cheese yogurt". The vanilla was a no-go because it had "specks" in it. The sugar content seems quite high and it tastes far closer to a cheesecake than cottage cheese. I would think putting it in a quiche would make it taste weird.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

From my last visit to the doctor's, I now know that I'm "critically ill" and I've been shot - with a flu shot, that is. I've been calling the doctor's office for the past several weeks, asking for the flu mist for LO. Well, I've been told that they're reserving it only for their patients who are critically ill or seniors presently, but I can keep asking if they have any for the general population.

When I went to see the doctor, he asked me if I'd had my flu shot. I repeated what the receptionist said, that I had to be either elderly or critically ill. He got quite angry and practically shouted at me "YOU ARE CRITICALLY ILL!". I was quite taken aback and he said in the last round of the flu outbreak he had so many of his pregnant patients in ICU on respirators and that pregnant women, especially as they approach their due date, were even higher priority than those who were thought of as critically ill.

At this point, he asked to be excused to correct all the receptionists and to not turn away any other pregnant women and that he would be back right after with my flu shot. I've never seen my mild mannered OB quite so upset and perhaps I should have requested the shot from the nurse. It's now been two days and my entire right shoulder feels like it's been walloped! He was looking quite red when he returned and stabbed me in the shoulder. Ow!

At that appointment, I booked LO for an appointment three weeks from then for the flu mist. Would you all believe that she *prefers* and requested the shot? I've never known a child to prefer the needle over the spray. What an odd LO I have.... Oh, but she's absolutely hands-down cry-me-a-river terrified of getting stung by a bee. Go figure!

Too bad I can't use that as my excuse for priority seating on the bus. I need a big sign that says "I'm critically ill".
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Received the sample source box in the mailbox today. Few good FPC'S to use. And debating if I should let my pup have the Cesar dogfood. She eats dry kibble so it would be a treat! Just don't want it to go thru her.
    I would split the sample up and just give a small amount each time - like a treat so it won't go thru her.
    Last edited by barbis9; Thu, Oct 27th, 2016 at 02:10 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Only if you make it with ED Smith pie filling, @walkonby ! Do find the commercial pies to be
    strong on spices when pumpkin is the star flavour.

BTW, found a squished Old Mill cracked wheat loaf on the 50% off rack-82 cents! I put it into the freezer for next week's tea and toast rituals.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@sweet sparrow -interesting information exchange but Dr should not have shouted at you-just prefaced his comments, "let me explain why I am feeling so strongly about the matter."He is adding to the stress already.
    Next up- you'll be wearing a top that reads: "speak in a normal voice-I can HEAR you."
    Think I'll ask Mom to try one of the salted caramel cottage cheese cups. Since I don't eat the product, I want to use it in a baked biscuit or quiche. Yes, I'll have to play flavour adjuster to compensate for the flavouring. Waste not!
    @lilo0003 -I may try one spoonful of the cottage cheese from a cup. However heat might make the product more palatable for me. I've been wanting savoury things with cheese but noticed Mom seems to using cottage cheese weekly with some Feta cheese for her strudel. Bit too greasy to have-when I said how I don't want it all the time, she said bake something. Well, I made sure to get some fresh baking spices and vanilla extract today. Need to figure out if I need a carton of eggs then I'll get baking on Saturday.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Coupons-redeemed the Samplesource FPCs for the Nordica cottage cheese & Gaylea coconut whipped cream topping, the Schweppes $2 off coupon for a new case of the Cran-Rasp. Ginger Ale ($3.69 at Fortinos-last day), the $2 Maple Leaf Top dogs coupon (item-original top dogs-is on sale for $2.99 (on shelf & in flyer) but rang up at $4.99; glad I took the time outside the store to look at the receipt. Got $5 SCOP money.)

Used the 75 cents off Activia 8pk yogurt as it was on sale $3.99, plus the purchase counts as an entry in the 4M PC Plus pts contest (ends Nov. 4-see the Fortinos flyer p.13 for tiny details).

Going to check another store for Astro Zero yogurt next week. If I like the new items, I'll make sure to buy them at retail price now and then (better if loyalty programs offer points with purchase).

BTW, I ate the Kelloggs Dark Chocolate and almond chunks bar-tasty but super small. Could eat 5 of them. Like Snickers lite (all those peanuts too).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -does anyone have any tips that may help ??-I have parts of my head that are very itchy and dry -I use derma-e a shampoo for itchy scalp ,my hairdresser said it may be older age (only in my late 50's ) or my high blood pressure medication ,or dying my hair she is not sure -but as I watch t.v I scratch it sooo itchy
    -my daughter had some cradle cap ointment given to her ,so before she went home I used a bit it seemed to help -it was called cradle me -any tips would be appreciated
    -I had a similar problem caused by an allergic reaction to my hair care products - Garnier Fructis made my scalp dry and extremely itchy (even the dry hair formula). It got so bad that I was on a cortisone prescription for my scalp and used it everyday until the pharmacist warned me about thinning scalp and hair loss.
    -I know you are using an anti-inch shampoo but that could be making it worse. Look for products that are fragrance free and moisturizing.
    -Use the cradle stuff at night if it helps and skip washing your hair every other day - that will help.
    -Use less shampoo and more fragrance free conditioner - that is what really worked for me. I used Vichy conditioner for dry scalp (expensive but so worth it) and Paula's choice shampoo. Another good product is Cliniderm shampoo and conditioner.
    -Be patient as it took quite a while for my scalp to settle down. I find that it doesn't take much to aggravate my scalp after this allergic reaction and I'm in my 50's.

http://www.cliniderm.ca/ClinidermEn/...lpShampoo.html
    Last edited by barbis9; Thu, Oct 27th, 2016 at 02:16 PM.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@sweet sparrow -interesting information exchange but Dr should not have shouted at you-just prefaced his comments, "let me explain why I am feeling so strongly about the matter."He is adding to the stress already.
    Next up- you'll be wearing a top that reads: "speak in a normal voice-I can HEAR you."
    Normally, he's quite a mild mannered and friendly doctor. I've never seen him quite so upset. I can understand though. If I were in ICU, we would have no one to pick up LO from daycare. There would be no one to stay home with her and DH would have to take vacation. He's already facing unemployment for showing up late (due to no daycare open before 7 AM and us having one car, plus commute and traffic). That evening when I went to daycare, I asked the director to tell all the pregnant mothers to get their flu shots. She said one year they required all people in care to get their shots, but she does not as she had a bad reaction to it once.

I hear it's already going around in schools so I hope LO makes it until her appointment in 2.5 weeks!

BTW, I ate the Kelloggs Dark Chocolate and almond chunks bar-tasty but super small. Could eat 5 of them. Like Snickers lite (all those peanuts too).
    I ate that one right away! Normally, I can wait awhile so it must be the chocolate cravings!

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Thanks to everyone for the reminders of FPCs that will expire soon. I have one for Ivanhoe cheese that I must use up this weekend, among a few others!

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information