User Tag List

Page 202 of 226 FirstFirst ... 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 3376
Like Tree9214Likes

Thread: Last thing you baked?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I haven't tried this yet, but bought 2 x 100 gr. packages of Fleischmann's Bread Booster ( a 2,000 point offer on each pkg. ) .
    Has anyone used this product? If it can extend the shelf life of my Jenny Jones No Knead bread recipe I'm all for it.
    Once I slice the large loaf up I'm usually forced to freeze most of those slices and often refrigerate the remaining slices.
    cath007 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Yesterday i made 18 Devils Food chocolate on chocolate cupcakes with heart sprinkles on top. DD came over yesterday evening and now there are only 8 cupcakes left. And i also made some Lemon Jello and there is none left! I like Jello, could be a left-over thingy from my childhood but ive always liked jello. Some of my grandkids are weird because they like to drink the jello.
    Natalka, walkonby and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Well i didnt bake this, but this morning i went to the local Farmers Market and i bought a homemade Blueberry Pie. I also bought a large basket of blueberries. Ive been to their U-Pick Blueberry Farm before so i know the pie would be good. It weighs 2 lbs. I love going to U-Pick farms because the cost is so much cheaper but its getting harder and harder each year. So i just bought the stuff. I paid $9.00 for a large basket of blueberries which we are eating but nxt weekend i will buy another one and freeze it.
    Natalka and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Wanting just a small dessert, I cut a " new to me* " recipe in half ( 3 Ingredient Greek yogurt cheesecake ) but then I had a 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk leftover.
    So, I cut a 2nd " ntm* " recipe called Atlantic Beach Pie.
    Now I have 2 quite adorably sized desserts to serve after dinner tonight.

Photos? perhaps after they've cooled and I've sent them both over to hair and makeup! hee hee.

o.k. so the photos don't make it look that great but as long as the taste is there. The Beach Pie needs a dollop of whipped cream and coarse sea salt to finish, the yellowish filling tastes a lot like a lemon pie filling.

Name:  Atlantic beach Pie and Greek yogurt cheesecake with blueberry topping.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  196.5 KB
    Last edited by walkonby; Sun, Jul 25th, 2021 at 12:54 PM.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Cherry Jello!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jello has always been a fave here. When DS was about 3 years old i made him try his first Jello. He cried and cried and wouldnt eat it. The reason: because it jiggled! Now he loves jello.
    Last edited by SnowFlakey; Fri, Jul 30th, 2021 at 01:37 PM.
    walkonby and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The apples are falling like mad here!!

We have made every attempt to use them them this year because they are gorgeous and so far we haven't found any with any worm holes or ugly dark marks on them.
    DS and DH made 2 pans of Apple Crisp up last night, one with cranberries added to the mixture. That was our dessert, and talk about comfort food, with a scoop of praline ice cream on the side.

Then today I started prepping 7 trays of slices for apple chips. They are finally almost crispy and dried....should be as it's been over 10 hours in the dehydrator. ( good thing weekends the hydro rates are at the low rate )
    Then I used up the last half a box of Dr. Oteker's pie pastry to make the wrappings for Apple dumplings. Only had enough pastry to surround 3 apples.
    DH helped me with the last item...an Apple Strudel! Easy work for him though as he whizzed the apples through our manual crank corer, peeler, slicer contraption. I love that thing!
    Easy work for me, defrosted a block of Puff pastry!

I got a photo of their apple crisps but they look like a stampede of raccoons has trampled through them...lol. This is why all pictures must be snapped before we dig into them.
    The Strudel, a few apple chips and the last dumpling posed appropriately.

Name:  apple crisp crumble.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  Strudel and friends.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  Keeping the Doctor Away.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  86.8 KB
    Last edited by walkonby; Mon, Aug 9th, 2021 at 09:23 AM.
    Silk, Purdee, JadeAngel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh boy, these turned out so extra dry and crispy! Way better than potato chips and you don't need many to feel satisfied.
    From our tree to the dehydrator, who'd of thunk it was so easy?

Name:  from our tree to table.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  66.3 KB
    Silk, JadeAngel, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Busy apple time still

Between late afternoon yesterday and early today I have cored, sliced, lemon juiced and froze 9 trays of apple slices. Used 31 apples, each one netted me approx. 16 slices.
    The silicon mats I placed them on to freeze held 54 slices each, ( 9 down by 6 across ).

I let them really freeze solid, and none of them turned brown, I was so pleased!
    Then time to fill each of my Food Saver accessory storage bags and use the attachment and hose with the Food Saver air sucking machine to process. I did up the first 4 1/2 bags last night.
    When these last 3 trays are frozen I'll have 1 and 1/2 more bags to fill and seal.
    ( 6 bags in all, 486 slices of ready to use apple....but who's counting? lol )

Also made another batch of apple cider and baked 15 mini apple caramel tarts.
    Photos will be inserted later....I'm kinda bushed.
    Silk, cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

wtg on the baking and all of the apples you got @walkonby !!!! That keep you busy in the kitchen hahaha!!!! Enjoy yours goodies!!!
    walkonby likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@walkonby you were very creative and productive at the same time
    walkonby, cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

@walkonby : You are so lucky to have 1 or more apple trees in your yard!!! I am waiting very impatiently the fall to go to the orchard..nothing beat that for me (altrought I purchase sometime a few apples at marche public or grocery)
    walkonby and SnowFlakey like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Visiting with friends today-he made a beef curry and rice. I just baked up a 5 star peach pie for dessert.
    walkonby and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Busy apple time still

Between late afternoon yesterday and early today I have cored, sliced, lemon juiced and froze 9 trays of apple slices. Used 31 apples, each one netted me approx. 16 slices.
    The silicon mats I placed them on to freeze held 54 slices each, ( 9 down by 6 across ).

I let them really freeze solid, and none of them turned brown, I was so pleased!
    Then time to fill each of my Food Saver accessory storage bags and use the attachment and hose with the Food Saver air sucking machine to process. I did up the first 4 1/2 bags last night.
    When these last 3 trays are frozen I'll have 1 and 1/2 more bags to fill and seal.
    ( 6 bags in all, 486 slices of ready to use apple....but who's counting? lol )

Also made another batch of apple cider and baked 15 mini apple caramel tarts.
    Photos will be inserted later....I'm kinda bushed.
    Photo to go with post. I placed the surplus 1/2 bag of apples slices into a regular ole ziploc sandwich bag as I'd run out of the Food Saver ones.

Name:  Cider, tarts and oodles of apples.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  76.7 KB
    cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I never knew you could freeze apple slices. Do you need to put the slices in lemon juice. What do you use them in afterwards. And how did you make your apple cider. Do you freeze that also. I have a juicer and me make apple juice which we drink right away.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    I never knew you could freeze apple slices. Do you need to put the slices in lemon juice. What do you use them in afterwards. And how did you make your apple cider. Do you freeze that also. I have a juicer and me make apple juice which we drink right away.
    Oh!!! @SnowFlakey I'm so glad you asked those questions because my DH had tried everything in his power to convince me that I couldn't and shouldn't freeze apple slices. His man-splaining finally got to me, " they'll turn brown " he said, " these apples are too soft, they'll turn mushy he claimed.
    Bah!
    Nothing inspires me more is when I am told I can't do something.

o.k. , so here goes....

Do you need to put the slices in lemon juice?
    yes and I filled a rectangular container to make a deep bath ( mostly Real lemon and some cold water ) to make sure all sides of the slices got soaked.

What do you use them in afterwards?

I have not used any of them yet, but they can be used in any baked goods, pies, tarts, fruit crisps, strudels, dumplings.
    Won't take much to thaw, then just measure out what the recipe calls for and voila!

And how did you make your apple cider?

Recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...e-apple-cider/

There are probably hundreds of other methods, I just picked the first one on Google and we love the taste.
    Do you freeze that also?

Apparently you can freeze cider but we are choosing to just make a small batch to drink up within 5 days, keeps the freezer from getting too many things in it.

Note: for apple juice I was not as impressed. The number of apples we processed through my Breville Juicer seemed high compared to how much actual juice we got, so that is a one-off. We will not bother making juice again.

Have fun with whatever you decide to do with apples going forward.
    Silk, cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.

Page 202 of 226 FirstFirst ... 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 ... LastLast

Thread Information