User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Ripple Effect of Kindness Blk_rose's Avatar
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

So Earlier this morning I did my now usual routine of dropping off kids then hubby at work and headed off to the blue bins. After finding about 50 newer inserts I got distracted by the box of comic books I found still sealed in wrappers. I don't know much about comics other then boys love to read them So I started pulling them out to only discover under the box was hundreds of comics. I took a closer look and noticed one was from 1967...hmmm in wrapper. Don't need to be a genius to think this is worth something. I spent an hour pulling them all out and piling them into the car. I headed straight to a close friend of mine who actually makes a comic book and works in a local comic book store.

2 hours later I get a phone call ..he was so excited after looking through them said I could easily sell the collection for $1500.00. And here I was just thinking it was something free my son would love to read. LOL. Not sure why anyone threw them away but wow ones persons trash is truly another persons treasure.

***I have decided there is no way someone through these away on purpose ..perhaps an angry ex ..a wife with extreme OCD..a girlfriend making room for a coupon room (LOL). I am going to be placing an Ad on kijiji to give time for the rightful owner to respond..If my stuff was thrown out I would only want the same thing to happen to me
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-communit...dZ329108738***

UPDATE: I been only contacted by 3 people surprisingly in regards to this AD..the first offering to buy them from me...the second asking me what I plan on doing with them ..and the third contacted by the RCMP in regard to my Ad...something about it being possibly stolen and I need to contact them ASAP especially after I took them from blue bins. I thought it was not officially a crime to take from them in canada???Great karma hey! LOL

A SMALL UPDATE:
    There is a reason I been quiet about this post and can not update till after everything is figured out. BUT i will share this official information

Dumping of garbage at Recycling Depots is
    illegal. It is also illegal to remove ANY materials
    from the bins.

Source: Bylaw 13777

Just be careful especially when posting what you find in blue bins on kijiji u never know who might be readin your breaking the law!

~~FINALE~~
    SOOOooooooooo heres the rough version of the skinny.

I got a phone call not to even bother coming into the station on our set meeting Wednesday. The RCMP who contacted me did so not on work time. He was asking for all the personal info for the comics and location and such as while letting me know it was illegal to take anything from the bins AND also letting me know he found the ad as he was a avid comic collector. Red s went off big time. I was scared if it was real I would be charged for not replying..and if it was fake i would give the need information i had to find the right owner to the wrong person and use it to get them from me.

So I went to the Edmonton police force for information. After reading my email they quickly verified the email was from a real RCMP officer. But red s went up for them as well as to why an rcmp would bother with something so minor except for the fact he was an avid collector. So they inquired and he replied he was worried they were stolen and he wanted to investigate...though he didnt have a right or permission to look into this out of his jurisdiction. BUT more importantly he knew i openly in writing broke the law.

Sooo after waiting to find out if I have to turn them over to a rcmp or return them to the blue bins or worse to get charged I got the call. They are mine finders keepers...the police have much better things to do then take couponers to court over rescuing things that were about to be destroyed by a truck. Then after feeling comfortable with the tone of the officer I braved and asked...what about the RCMP who everyone seemed so fishy about. he was trying to do his job!

The best part is knowing I am not getting a criminal record for trying to do the right thing. Especially when I was the one that stirred the pot even further when I should of ignored the email...yes some of you said this. I got to much respect for authority to not take it seriously.

As far as what becomes of the comics..I was awaiting a verdict from the police on what I need to do. All three of my children and being allowed to pick out 10 each to keep ..save and sell.. or most likely enjoy and wear out reading..I Sold the 5 top most expensive ones for half price to my friend who priced them and hid them all for me. As for the Rest of them...I have already contact the Stollery childrens hospital as I know they take in over 800 children across canada every year, hoping they can accept all the comics as the distraction level for the kids is a way higher value then the money in my families pockets. I was originally going to sell them and use the money for my donations but that is what couponing is for.

~~~Nothings ever Final~~

Well I received the email I was waiting on and as I was hoping against they can not accept anything opened for germ factors and being asked not to sell them publically from the ESP Im lost what to do with all these dust collectors..hrmm perhaps alot of campfires this next year. LOL. *watches comic collectors mouths drop everywhere*
    This thread is currently associated with: 123inkcartridges.ca
    Last edited by Blk_rose; Fri, Nov 25th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

~The Ripple Effect of Kindness Project~

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

WOW! The gang from Big Bang Theory certainly be jealous of your find!

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

Wow!!!! I would read them all with gloves on and then sell then for sure!!! That would make an amazing RESP contribution for your DS....or a vacation!!!! Truly amazing find!!!
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Wow awesome find! My husband would be totally JEALOUS! He's a closet comic book fiend! He has some that are over 30 yrs old. 6-8 long white boxes full of them. I've been trying to get him to sell them and get some money out of it (and give me more room for my stockpile but I can't tell him that now can I LOL!!)

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

WOW !!!AMAZING !! thats just great

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That's SO awesome! wtg!

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

That's absolutely awesome! Congrats on the find!!
    Looking for 5 minute fast, fun, easy surveys that you get paid in currency not in points? Check out PaidView Point
    Would you like to earn some paypal/amazon gift cards? Get points by clicking the lucky button at Superpoints or click here for 50 points now

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

wow thats amazing!! wtg!:D I wish I had the guts to go dumpster diving!!!!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Great for you!!! Especially with Christmas so close - its great your wallet got that boost. Enjoy your $$$ lady - you earned it.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Wow, what an amazing find and good for you

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Wow! All because of coupons!! WTG!

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

AWESOME!! Just in time for xmas!!!! Your Status under your picture says it all!! "The Ripple Effect Of Kindness" just got you!!!
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

sweet!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Awesome find, it's like winning a lottery!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

Congratulations! And I bet you could sell them for even more if you are willing to put some time into researching them. That they are SEALED and certain ones being from the 1960s, you could easily have a much bigger pot of gold over there!!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information